Military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dlazar60

Military 2

Post by dlazar60 »

If and when will the Military 2 be available
Michael Janich

Re: Military 2

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear dlazar60:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

It's a "when," not an "if."

Stay safe,

Mike
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Sometime in 2023 seems likely. Who will be the first to get one?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:09 pm

Probably someone who lives in or around Golden who gets one from SFO.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

cabfrank wrote:
I think you're right, sometime 2023.

As excited as I am for this release I know I won't be first. Holding out for the DLC version, which I'd imagine should come out within 6-12 months of the regular.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Collectors Club members always receive knives first.
- Nick :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

After getting bit by another comp lock (Cru-carta PM2) randomly opening in my pocket, I'm definitely going to be passing on the Military 2. I'm hoping that we see a few more variants of the original Military as I have never had an issue with the linerlock. I check here every day hoping to see a coming soon thread for the hopefully coming soon St Nicks 4V Military.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm surprised they didn't drop this year. When I called st. nicks they sounded pretty certain that they would.

Did your PM2 happen to have a loose pivot? That makes them pop open in the pocket much more easily. Hope the cut wasn't too bad - still have a scar on my pinky from my old PM2.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

cabfrank wrote:
I can promise it won't be me.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:33 pm
After getting bit by another comp lock (Cru-carta PM2) randomly opening in my pocket, I'm definitely going to be passing on the Military 2. I'm hoping that we see a few more variants of the original Military as I have never had an issue with the linerlock. I check here every day hoping to see a coming soon thread for the hopefully coming soon St Nicks 4V Military.
I don't see why a comp lock would be less safe than a liner lock unless something was pressing the lock bar. Does the military just have a stronger detent than the PM2? A strong detent improves safety but you can open just about any detent based knife with a decent impact.

I'm not the biggest fan of comp locks. The lock cutout is tiny which makes it hard to reach unless you just try to close it like a back lock. If you made the lock cutout bigger, it'd make the knife less safe to carry.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

vandelay wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:00 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:33 pm
I don't see why a comp lock would be less safe than a liner lock unless something was pressing the lock bar. Does the military just have a stronger detent than the PM2? A strong detent improves safety but you can open just about any detent based knife with a decent impact.

I'm not the biggest fan of comp locks. The lock cutout is tiny which makes it hard to reach unless you just try to close it like a back lock. If you made the lock cutout bigger, it'd make the knife less safe to carry.

There is just something about the way the comp lock is designed that when I carry it tip up in my pants I am assuming that at some point through the day as I am moving about my pants push on the lock tab just enough to overcome the detent and the blade releases a little to where the tip is exposed. I never know it happens until I stick my hand in my pocket and get stabbed. The Military has never released in my pocket, nor have any of my many backlocks. I am legit afraid to carry comp locks now because it has happened too many times on too many different knives. The Cru-carta PM2 is going to get downgraded to a desk or truck knife and I purged all other comp locks from my collection long ago. I only got the PM2 because it was Cru-carta. Won't be buying any more. The Seki backlocks make up 95% of my collection and they are all flawless with zero issues.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I still want a back lock version, that is otherwise exactly like the Military 1 as far as the choil goes.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:50 am
I still want a back lock version, that is otherwise exactly like the Military 1 as far as the choil goes.

Not being familiar with either the Military or the Stretch 2 XL, how do these choils compare?
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

Just to to offer a little perspective of when it might come out, the frn native chief was announced something like a year or so before the military 2 and we have yet to see that come to market. I feel the m2 is still pretty far out from production unless they bump it up in the queue.
nonstainless

Post by nonstainless »

Never had any problem with comp lock detent. Have you tried tightening the pivot screw a bit?

BTW, the new military should be called paramilitary1 IMO. And the millie with liner lock should stay alive :tonque-out
Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. L11:35
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think we'll ever grow to a place where mentioning this knife doesn't devolve into a lock debate. This knife will be a monster hit but it's also kinda cursed.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:18 pm
I don't think we'll ever grow to a place where mentioning this knife doesn't devolve into a lock debate. This knife will be a monster hit but it's also kinda cursed.
P4P the model with the most drama attached. :grin-smiling-eyes
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Unless the Military continues on for quite a while. That would alleviate some of it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:23 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:18 pm
P4P the model with the most drama attached. :grin-smiling-eyes

First line of the Edge-U-Cation leaflet should just read "Haters gonna hate" 🤣
~David
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m internally contemplating which variants of the knife I’d most want.
I don’t have a strong preference for either lock or carry position, currently, but I do prefer the aesthetic (mainly because of less clip holes) of the LinerLock.
Actually, I like the look of the Military 2 as a design more, but the clip holes interrupt a large plane of g10 on the handle swell which is something I appreciate the original Military for leaving a big canvas.
I like big uninterrupted flats to appreciate handle materials. It’s a really specific reason why the Military variations, from Carbon Fiber to Burnt Orange g10, are all so attractive to me.

Do I want a “redo” of the Rex45 sprint that I missed and deal with the clip holes slightly bugging me aesthetically on a Rex45 Military 2 (as opposed to hunting down one of the original sprints) or do I want new varieties we haven’t seen before.

Do I get an s110v Military linerlock too, or go another route to try s110v?

Lots of fun that probably only makes sense to me!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: