Spyderco Siren CF/S90v Sprint…In The Wild!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Spyderco Siren CF/S90v Sprint…In The Wild!

Post by Surfingringo »

Sooo, I received an early sample of the S90v Sprint and thought I would share a few initial impressions and a photo. I’ll try to do my best to set aside any bias and offer some objective thoughts. First though, here’s a quick photo in the wild.

First thing I noticed when I removed it from the box was how light it was. I don’t have a proper digital scale but on a cheap letter scale it shows the original Siren at 3.8oz and the sprint at 3.4. Those weights certainly aren’t accurate but the approximate 10% difference is probably fairly accurate. At any rate, it’s definitely noticeable.

The next thing that jumped out was how different the texture feels after becoming so accustomed to the coarse g10 of the standard Siren. I definitely still prefer the coarse g10 for wet work but I actually like the feel of the smoother CF on this particular “EDC” version.

Fit and finish is excellent on my copy with grinds and plunge lines and bevels very even and lockup super solid.

I’ve been carrying this one for about a week and have done a fair bit of normal daily work and cutting and haven’t even thought of needing to sharpen. Still using the factory edge actually.

As far as appearance, I have mixed feelings. I love the CF and look of “refinement” that it gives the Siren, but if I’m honest I kind of miss the blue liners. It’s definitely a “dressier” looking knife though and I like the variety.

My overall thoughts? When I found out that the first Siren sprint was going to be the CF/s90v, I was happy, but not exactly overwhelmed. I like CF but I would have voted for orange/Magnacut if I were king of the world. I have to say though that I am pleasantly surprised by how much I’m enjoying this combo. I always hoped that the Siren would be seen as “more than just a fishing knife”. I designed the knife for my own EDC use and have always thought some people might enjoy it in that capacity as well if they gave it a shot. Hopefully this sprint will help get a few Sirens into the hands of some folks who wouldn’t have normally ever tried the design. I’ll try to add a few more photos as I go but like all my knives, this is a user so future shots will get progressively less pristine.
Wandering_About

Re: Spyderco Siren CF/S90v Sprint…In The Wild!

Post by Wandering_About »

Very nice, thanks for sharing some initial impressions. The S90V/CF sprints are always cool.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Thanks for sharing your impressions, always great to read what designers think of variants of their designs. A MagnaCut version would definitely have been more in keeping with the original spirit of the Siren, but I do think that the knife being made available in a premium "non-Salt" stainless super steel like S90V might make people consider it as a knife that is more than just a specialty folder. I like "EDCing" the Siren myself, it's pretty low profile in the pocket for the amount of blade it has, and I just love the lines on it (along with the leaf-blade Caribbean & the serrated Dragonfly 2 Salt, it's my favourite Salt knife). A great general-purpose folder, not just a folding "fishing knife".
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Very nice, thanks for sharing Lance!

Interesting to see this "premium salt" knife turn into a more-standard "edc" knife - speaks to the versatility of the design.

Incidentally, I'm currently carrying with S90V for the first time. I hope to discover why it seems to be Sal's favorite!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

ETA?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I prefer the look of this Sprint. If it shows up in stock at Spyderco before the end of the month I might score one. Have to use a credit from a warranty claim by then.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:49 pm
ETA?
Man, I have ZERO idea on that. I do know that this was an early sample so it could be awhile yet. Hopefully not months or anything or I might get in trouble for posting pics. :grimace
phaust

Post by phaust »

Good to know about the weight!

I love the Siren as my IWB running knife. The compact height and no hole hump make it nice for that. Shaving a bit more weight off is even better. I may get one to blade swap to keep the lc200n/cf combo.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Did you add the extra chamfer at the bottom of the scale?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd been carrying my LC200N Siren the past few days before the 4V Manix announcement gave me Manix fever.

It's a really nice knife for EDC. Very slim for the amount of blade you get. Cutting edge up to the handle, minimizing snag points choiled knives have. Pointy tip pierces with less effort than most knives. Much smoother action than any of my Pacific Salts.

It's a really nice knife for my line of work. I'm a chef at a high end, high volume restaurant. The Siren is quick and easy to deploy and re-pocket one handed during a dinner rush. The grippy scales make it easy to handle with wet, oily or bloody hands. Not too big or heavy, doesn't feel like it's taking up my entire right side pocket of my chef pants like my Manix XL's admittedly do. And being a salt is nice, because I spend most my evenings manning a wood fired grill situated next to a 550 degree oven, so sweat is unavoidable.

In fact I even appreciate the low profile wire clip, something I don't normally care about at all. When I was just a line cook I didn't give a rats *** about that, but being a chef in an upscale establishment where I'm sometimes checking on customers in the dining room and meeting with GM's of luxury brands, a little subtlety is good.

I could see this version being nice for folks that appreciate the design but don't have a need for a rust proof design. Someone like Wartstein comes to mind.

I'll most likely stick to the LC version, but it's exciting seeing a non salt sprint of a salt. Opens up new possibilities. I know I'd be in for an M4 Aqua Salt with foliage green scales, for example.
Last edited by vivi on Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:15 pm
Did you add the extra chamfer at the bottom of the scale?
All Sirens have that to assist in finding the opening hole.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:21 pm
I like CF but I would have voted for orange/Magnacut if I were king of the world.
Sign me up for the Lance Signature Edition!

< I’m serious 🧐 >
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Lance, I guess you could buy some, sign them and sell them? Or have customers send them to you to sign, but being where you are, that could be problematic. I use an engraver that Tim Leatherman gave me to sign blades.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:16 pm

In fact I even appreciate the low profile wire clip, something I don't normally care about at all. When I was just a line cook I didn't give a rats *** about that, but being a chef in an upscale establishment where I'm sometimes checking on customers in the dining room and meeting with GM's of luxury brands, a little subtlety is good.

A bit off tangent, but wouldn't it be cool if you ever chanced to meet a diner who's also a Spyderco nut? Like I can only imagine the conversation..."That pocket clip looks familiar, is that a Spydiechef or a Siren?"

:winking-tongue :winking-tongue :winking-tongue
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
phaust

Post by phaust »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:31 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:16 pm

A bit off tangent, but wouldn't it be cool if you ever chanced to meet a diner who's also a Spyderco nut? Like I can only imagine the conversation..."That pocket clip looks familiar, is that a Spydiechef or a Siren?"

:winking-tongue :winking-tongue :winking-tongue
That kind of happened to me in reverse. I met a sandwich artist at Subway with a Tenacious :')
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

and I finally just got the OG version to beat on. I mean… test 😌
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've met other cooks that carry them. One guy that was a temp in my last kitchen had an old beat up ffg orange endura. Haven't found out which model but our exec chef mentioned he owns some spydercos when he saw my spyderco fine bench stone I was using.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

It looks like Cutlery shoppe had some in stock earlier, gone now.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Hmmmmm… Pocket paring knife? I already carry the Spydie chef for food.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thanks for sharing , my thoughts are exactly in line with yours . I’m glad they introduced this version so in the future there should be more demand in another saltwater variation . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau