Next Sprint Run target??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Next Sprint Run target??

Post by JD Spydo »

With the Cruwear C-60 Ayoob being such a great success I've just had to take another look at some other models out of that same era of great designs. Three models I've been looking at that I think would be a very successful Sprint Run are the following: The JD Smith model, The older RENEGADE model and the C-42 Viele model. Those 3 models I feel that they would do well with newer/better materials. Plus all three of those models were excellent in both SE & PE.

Now that is three models that I've come up with but if you all have other suggestions from that same era for a possible Sprint Run I'm all ears. I'm specifically looking at models from the GOLDEN ERA (1998-2004), the same era that the C-60 Ayoob came from. I just believe that there are so many great possible candidates from that era that would do really well with updated materials.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Next Sprint Run target??

Post by apollo »

Hollowground JD Smith or an updated Centofante Vesuvius compression lock with inlays would get my vote.
But not counting that time line my favorite will be an c95 Manix lockback with liners and 4mm bladestock!
Last edited by apollo on Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hi,Joe ! I am definitely on board if the JD Smith came back in hollow grind , ambi clip . I would have to pass on the beautiful Viele since it is exclusive to right hand linerlock. The Renegade would be interesting . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Stas

Post by Stas »

Renegade is such an amazing design! It is like Native Chief on peyote
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
phaust

Post by phaust »

It'd be cool to get one of the older ethnic series back like the Khukuri or Barong.
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

I'd like to see the Captain, or the Kris.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ll commit to the slicy JD Smith, if a hollow-grind.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

The C58 JD Smith in crucarta would be nice.

The C23 Renegade is going to be competing with the BM Taggedout and the Giant Mouse Jutland.

As a front-flipping liner lock, the C42 Howard Viele would be entering an extremely crowded market.

JM2C.
- Richard
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I'd grab a C42 plain, in any steel, without hesitation.
Brian
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Foundry81 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:10 am
I'd like to see the Captain, or the Kris.
I could go for either one of those lost classics. When either one of those models go up for sale they usually fetch more than a few dollars. However I would want to see the C-111 Captain with the arch part of the blade in full SE. The Captain would be an awesome all purpose tool in SE.

I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been a serious push for a Sprint Run of the KRIS model already. It was another model that really gained popularity after being discontinued.

It does seem like the JD Smith is winning the election so far though. And that would be an excellent Sprint Run with new blade steel and maybe a G-10 handle.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

SE Hollow Grind everything!!! Carbon fiber doesn’t hurt either.

JD you’ve got to post more pics to illustrate how sexy these two knives are! :winking-tongue

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm just waiting for a new Wayne Goddard. I'd take FRN, G-10, or Micarta - just give me a Cruwear blade.

Of the three you propose though, I think I'd ben most likely to pickup a Renegade.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

C95 Manix with Dino Jimping, Boye Dented Backlock, Delta 3V, and Micarta.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
rgc

Post by rgc »

C73 Impala. Yes it will be expensive as it is a G10 model from Japan but I will live with that. I would be happy to see it in maybe S90v or 110v or ZDP-189 or really any steel other than VG-10 or S30v. Give it a cool G10 color (I would want a hunter orange) and a cool steel and I'm in regardless of the price.

Oh yeah, feel free to make it a compression lock but the liner lock is still good too.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Maybe I'm simplistic, but I'd be happy with a Centofante 4.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:13 pm
SE Hollow Grind everything!!! Carbon fiber doesn’t hurt either.

JD you’ve got to post more pics to illustrate how sexy these two knives are! :winking-tongue

Yeah I need to get off my rear to do something about that if I want to do a better job of selling this next Sprint Run. But I do appreciate all of you guys who have put up pictures.

There were so many of the models from back in that time slot that were always available in PE & SE both. I have a full SE JD Smith model and I've owned and used a full SE version of the RENEGADE model a few years back. There were so many of those GOLDEN ERA models that were awesome in full SE.

Oh and by the way both of those models were really nice in full SE. Also that C-42 Viele model was a real beast in full SE as well. It has really pleased me a lot that that fully serrated knives are getting rather popular again. There has been almost equal demand for the Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run in both edge types. Three years ago that wouldn't have been the case.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

rgc wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:10 pm
C73 Impala. Yes it will be expensive as it is a G10 model from Japan but I will live with that. I would be happy to see it in maybe S90v or 110v or ZDP-189 or really any steel other than VG-10 or S30v. Give it a cool G10 color (I would want a hunter orange) and a cool steel and I'm in regardless of the price.

Oh yeah, feel free to make it a compression lock but the liner lock is still good too.
I had one and regret selling it . If it had been a lockback, I would still have it . Probably one of the finest hunting folders produced by Spyderco. Beautiful and functional . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

I’d like a Caly 3, but done in a grey shade of G-10 or an earth-toned canvas Micarta. Either way, I’d want it in K-390 or Cru-Wear.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

C52 calypso jr with the classic black micarta handle with black clip and gold spyderco logo, PE hollow ground blade in k390 or zdp with jimped thumb ramp & choil. I think that would make for a pretty exciting edc folder.
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:57 am
C52 calypso jr with the classic black micarta handle with black clip and gold spyderco logo, PE hollow ground blade in k390 or zdp with jimped thumb ramp & choil. I think that would make for a pretty exciting edc folder.
Interesting that you would want a C-52 Caly Jr. with a "hollow grind". Because the stainless handled version of the Caly Jr. did have a hollow grind and it was the only one of that model that did have it>> at least that I'm aware of anyway.

I often wondered why they quit making the Caly Jr. with the Micarta handles? Because collectors really pay big for the few that come to surface.

But a Caly Jr in K390 I would be all for if enough people would go along with it. However I personally tend to like the longer blade models because that's what I usually EDC.