Amsterdam meet.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Amsterdam meet.

Post by SpyderNut »

IG-88 wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:44 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:02 am
Seems like the change in how knives are revealed has killed this concept.

I'll be totally honest I would rather go back to the uncertainty of when models are coming out and have this meet with all the awesome prototype pics like we've always had in the past vs the current reveal process. It was like the modern adult version of the Sears Christmas toy catalog and it was my favorite part of the year and it really sucks that it seems to be dead.
I totally agree with you, it was a great way to get people on the edge for upcoming knives. Also seeing what was being considered for upcoming production and being able to give feedback early on in the design process was amazing.
The meet was for me a unique experience I had never expierenced before with other companies or industries. It was for me the main attractor to the Spyderco brand, the openess and the availability of Sal and Eric was just amazing to me and a unique thing. I hope some day it will come back

+1

I totally agree too. I really miss the days when there was a lot of excitement and discussion about new models after the Meet was over. And Wouter’s fantastic pictures of new models was like having a second Christmas. (True, a number of those models never made it to production, but it was still so cool to talk about the possibility of it coming to fruition!)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It has always intrigued me to no end when I see the great popularity that Spyderco enjoys across the pond and to other regions of our great globe. I've noticed ever since I joined this great Forum all the way back to September 2004 that Spyderco has a huge popularity in some of the European countries ( especially the Netherlands). Not to mention the bigger than usual popularity in our sister countries of Australia ( yeah you BLOKE!!) and New Zealand as well.

It's just another aspect of this great company that stands out from most of the other US knife companies you see at your local hardware stores ( Buck, Case, Queen ect). Nothing at all against those great old traditional companies. But we Spyder-Heads choose to go the extra mile for the magnanimous quality and superb customer service>> as well as super unique designs and impeccable quality. Spyderco's global popularity is not matched by very many cutlery companies. Who else would have had the courage and the drive to come up with the C-60 Ayoob model. Yes!! only Spyderco!!
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:04 am
It has always intrigued me to no end when I see the great popularity that Spyderco enjoys across the pond and to other regions of our great globe. I've noticed ever since I joined this great Forum all the way back to September 2004 that Spyderco has a huge popularity in some of the European countries ( especially the Netherlands). Not to mention the bigger than usual popularity in our sister countries of Australia ( yeah you BLOKE!!) and New Zealand as well.

It's just another aspect of this great company that stands out from most of the other US knife companies you see at your local hardware stores ( Buck, Case, Queen ect). Nothing at all against those great old traditional companies. But we Spyder-Heads choose to go the extra mile for the magnanimous quality and superb customer service>> as well as super unique designs and impeccable quality. Spyderco's global popularity is not matched by very many cutlery companies. Who else would have had the courage and the drive to come up with the C-60 Ayoob model. Yes!! only Spyderco!!
Not to give bad news or anything but i feel the popularity of spyderco is going down compared to 5 years ago. More and more brands make an effort to get liked in Europe. At the moment I know much more people in my surroundings that used to be spydie fans that now became We or Benchmade fans for example. Also the collectors with bigger pockets really have taken a liking for shirogorov and Chris reeve’s instead of expensive spydies.
mart

Post by mart »

IWA website states a date for 2023 so it will proceed

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:14 am
apollo wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:52 am
haayema wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:03 am
December isn’t over yet, Kristi aimed for November/December for an official announcement from Spyderco.
That is true but there is one minor detail people must not forget.
Spyderco made the meet only because it was handy since they were already in Europe for the big German show! I really do not think they will do a meet if its not just before or after this show.
That's true. Does anyone know the status of the German show? Has it resumed? If not i don't give the A-dam meet much hope unfortunately, although hope springs eternal.
northmanscall

Post by northmanscall »

:bug-red Stefan :bug-red
mart

Post by mart »

Thanxx for the info 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
northmanscall wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:47 pm
It's on guys

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94007&p=1683674#p1683674