Do you use your Spyderco or just collect them?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Do you use your Spyderco or just collect them?

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:53 am
That's missing out on the fun of the exclusives and sprints, they are different BECAUSE of the steels most of the time! Everyone here has more than enough knives that if you scratch one or somehow break it, even though you can't replace it...there's always plenty of more options down the pipeline!
Indeed. Why splurge on exotic steels if you aren't going to take them for a test drive, and you aren't buying them for collectors purposes?
:unicorn
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I use all my knives except 1.
Now my Manix collection alone is 20 strong so knowing that you can imagen rotating them is a daily choice to make. If you add the other models in my collection i can use a knife about 1's in 40 days knowing i prefer some above others it means they stay near mint a long time. But my work knives on the other hand get use multiple days a week and they do get many scratches and nicks and everything you can imagen. So the more knives i have the longer it takes to rotate. But i do make a point of it to use them all except my Nirvana.
Last edited by apollo on Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Use them, some more than others…….though I buy a lot less folders nowadays I have accumulated enough for 7 lifetimes

Would call myself a Mule collector but they all get handles and used.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:55 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
That's missing out on the fun of the exclusives and sprints, they are different BECAUSE of the steels most of the time! Everyone here has more than enough knives that if you scratch one or somehow break it, even though you can't replace it...there's always plenty of more options down the pipeline!
Indeed. Why splurge on exotic steels if you aren't going to take them for a test drive, and you aren't buying them for collectors purposes?
With that mentality, over the years those people will end up with 500 knives in 200 steels and only know about the basic model steels. Blows my mind and comprehension of logic!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've intended to use everything I buy but some have been rarely used and some haven't been used at all. I have all the SNK exclusives but some haven't been used only because I've used some of the other SNK models in 4V and/or I have other versions of the same model that I prefer to carry. I'm not intentionally letting anything sit because I'm afraid it'll lose value. Well...I guess the Sage 4 sits a little more than others but I have carried and used it lightly. Also, when I purchased the last forum knife I knew that would pretty much sit in the box because I have other PM2s that I'd rather carry. I also have a couple REX 45 models that have never been used. I have a few more REX45 models that have been used

Some people like to buy things to collect and some people like to buy things to use. Some are a mix of both. Nothing wrong with any of it. It's ok for people to spend their money how they please and to do what they want with their stuff. If they want to buy something to collect that's their choice and it doesn't have to make sense to you power users
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

I am a collector. I do use a wide range of my knifes, but I am at heart a collector. Used to be comics, baseball cards, Zippos, coins, and I'm sure other stuff I have forgetten all about. It's just something I like to do. In fact, yesterday I ordered a knife based on color alone! The teal Ladybug. No shame in my game!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I try to use them but at some point you just have too many. I admit to having knives that have never even seen the light of day. Sometimes I forget that I even bought them. I once found a couple brand new sprints in the console of my truck that I forgot about. I own three vehicles and don’t drive my truck a lot. They made it from my mailbox to there and that was it. I was cleaning it out so I could drop it off at the shop and found them.

I’m a user/hoarder/collector which basically means that I like knives, have disposable income, lack self control and am very disorganized. I also am too lazy to sell things even when I don’t need or want them. They are just piling up.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:18 am
vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:55 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
With that mentality, over the years those people will end up with 500 knives in 200 steels and only know about the basic model steels. Blows my mind and comprehension of logic!
It's the downside of these models with artificial scarcity. Unlike your car/truck, these sprints & exclusive go up in value as soon as you get it in your hand. To many people, it makes it seem like you are throwing money away by using something that cannot be replaced. I think it is also what is driving so many to request folding mules. The lower price of entry makes it more palatable to use and possibly lose something that cannot be replaced.

I have a foot in both camps with some I use and some that I worry about using. :spiral-eyes
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:43 am
I try to use them but at some point you just have too many. I admit to having knives that have never even seen the light of day. Sometimes I forget that I even bought them. I once found a couple brand new sprints in the console of my truck that I forgot about. I own three vehicles and don’t drive my truck a lot. They made it from my mailbox to there and that was it. I was cleaning it out so I could drop it off at the shop and found them.

I’m a user/hoarder/collector which basically means that I like knives, have disposable income, lack self control and am very disorganized. I also am too lazy to sell things even when I don’t need or want them. They are just piling up.
Yes to all this lol
MRj “Weak things break!”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Wow. All of this hits close to home, on all points. :astonished
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

A typical sprint will go up maybe $50-100 in value over the years. Subtract shipping and paypal fees BF membership etc., factor in inflation, and you're looking at gaining less than an hour or two worth of wages, if you find a buyer.

If that's enough to keep you from using a knife then, well, that's strange.
:unicorn
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
I try to use them but at some point you just have too many...

Oh man, did you hit the nail on the head here, Darby.

I buy my knives to use. The only knives I don't use are family heirlooms - Grandpa's, or Great-Grandpa's knives.

I did recently experience some corrosion for the first time on my K390 PM2. I think I left tape residue on it for a month too long, or something. Since then, I'm trying to clean the blades on my knives on a regular basis, and before I put them down. Mostly because I'm not sure when the next time I'll pull the knife out may be.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:51 am
A typical sprint will go up maybe $50-100 in value over the years. Subtract shipping and paypal fees BF membership etc., factor in inflation, and you're looking at gaining less than an hour or two worth of wages, if you find a buyer.

If that's enough to keep you from using a knife then, well, that's strange.
Well i can say you guys are lucky if you get a sprint in europe or you in some way have an exclusive it doubles its worth in a year or 2. Less fish in the ocean is regretably also a reason for increased prices. At this moment there is a used rec Manix for sale in europe for 385 euro... plain crazy
anycal

Post by anycal »

Having too many knives as it is, I seldom buy base models. Most of my collection are sprints/exclusives, and all are users.
Peter
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I do both but the rates of each have changed, meaning that when I had 10 I used them all, but now that I have 10 times that, most are rarely used.

That’s fine by me as my reasons for being here have changed over time. First, I just wanted some really good knives to pocket. Now that I have them in spades, I have become fascinated with Glesser and Glesser-inflected designs to learn their intent and to enjoy their accomplishment.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

What distinguishes the lover of spydies more:
Use a few knives wisely (let's say around 20 pieces) or pay tribute to the brand/designer/manufacturer and buy more and more for the sheer joy of the workpiece?
At some point there just isn't enough time to use them all....that's my situation.
So my short answer - both makes sense. :smiling-hearts
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

What do you think?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have a modest collection of spydercos compared to many around here. i think i'm at 21 now. all of them have been used and many of them are cycled through the rotation still. i bought a vallotton because it's art that i could hard use if i needed to. i bought a chicago as a joke because of dumb rules where i was working at the time. so, i don't really use either of them (for different reasons), but not because i don't like them or because they are meant to gather dust.

with the amount of knives people around here have, i wouldn't expect them to constantly post all of them in use. then there's the fact that most of us probably don't stop in the middle of a job to take pictures of our knives in use. most of the time, that's not even safe. i guess i'm just not sure what is being requested here.

i use my knives. i don't use them that hard, but i like to know that they are capable tools should the need arise. i take pictures of my knives when i'm not using them and typically wipe the blades off before pictures. maybe i'll start taking some pics of my knives still dirty every once in a while and post them.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Only have about 4 pocket knives total. Two are with me all the time. Two are in draw for future use.
Hermit_

Post by Hermit_ »

Currently my Siren gets the most use since I use it for most food prep tasks.
Currently owned :bug-red - Paramilitary 2 (wharncliffe/CTS-XHP/Cutlery Shoppe exclusive), Siren (LC200N), Cat (BD1N)