Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
amateur blacksmith

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I'm in Australia and it would be a big PITA to return. Any idea when a CQI will turn up? My preference would be if Spyderco ever do it would be a G10 with K390.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:52 am
it still blows my mind that so few seem to care that they have to worry about getting the best of a store's stock of a $285 knife.
I requested DLT to look for the lanyard issue specifically, and they did to the best of their ability. I don't know how many they had on hand, but I'd wager a handful.

When I discovered that I still had the issue, I had two choices: 1) Return the knife, or 2) deal with it.

I removed the lanyard tube, added a deep carry pocket clip, and have been enjoying the heck out of the knife since.

I think we all have different standards, and that's probably the key here. Some care about different issues, some care about those issues more than others, etc.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:14 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
it still blows my mind that so few seem to care that they have to worry about getting the best of a store's stock of a $285 knife.
I requested DLT to look for the lanyard issue specifically, and they did to the best of their ability. I don't know how many they had on hand, but I'd wager a handful.

When I discovered that I still had the issue, I had two choices: 1) Return the knife, or 2) deal with it.

I removed the lanyard tube, added a deep carry pocket clip, and have been enjoying the heck out of the knife since.

I think we all have different standards, and that's probably the key here. Some care about different issues, some care about those issues more than others, etc.
it's a great design. i want the lw and i'm sure i'd really like this one too. but no one's different standards should include being okay with having to modify a knife at this price so that the edge isn't damaged. if you prefer different edge geometry, that's one thing, but to need to remove part of the knife and fix the edge damage from the factory on a $285 knife should not be an acceptable standard for anyone and i think it's crazy that people just shrug it off because it's not that hard to fix.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Sharpening a knife is something you are going to do in any case. Some people put five edges on a knife as a matter of course just to get to “the good steel”. In my case I used it and after putting three edges on it, three edges I would have done anyway, the tube rap was gone. Removing the lanyard tube was always a draconian measure imo. Obviously, if someone has QC issues they should seek recourse, but tube rap is easily dealt with.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:39 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:14 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

it's a great design. i want the lw and i'm sure i'd really like this one too. but no one's different standards should include being okay with having to modify a knife at this price so that the edge isn't damaged. if you prefer different edge geometry, that's one thing, but to need to remove part of the knife and fix the edge damage from the factory on a $285 knife should not be an acceptable standard for anyone and i think it's crazy that people just shrug it off because it's not that hard to fix.
I guess. I don’t disagree with you - and would definitely prefer that I didn’t have to remove the lanyard tube.

But also… there’s no way I was going to return the knife, especially without a guarantee that the next one would be any better. At the end of the day, I want to be able to carry and use the knife more than I want it to be absolutely perfect from the factory.

Maybe it’s a matter of pride?

If Spyderco wanted to offer me a $100 gift card for my trouble, I’d probably take it. But in the meantime I’m just gonna enjoy cutting stuff with my knife.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've received my replacement Stretch XL from Lamnia.
One of my interlocutors is the one that picked the knife for me and he wrote "I found the best possible out of 20 knives"

I hope he was hyperbolic because the knife I received had the same problem of surface irregularities on the backspacer (and liners around it) and one liner had black gaps at the place where you depress the lock. If this is the best out of 20 it still makes for a run with a lot of cosmetic imperfections. At that price it does truely bother me ^^.

Another thing is that the liners look like they've been to war here when they did not look like that at all on the previous one (based on what I could see without disassembly).

I decided to keep it because everything else is fine but before I fixed what caused me issues, I took some pictures : https://imgur.com/a/uG7UndR .

Once again I can't seem to take pictures that are able to show the irregularities on the butt of the knife. To describe it it's a lot of flats when it should be one continuous curve.

I've fixed the gaps of the liner at the lock cutout with some 240 grit sandpaper and it's impossible to see there was work done, still flush and everything, same finish.
I'll do the backspacer too when I'm making custom scales for it :shush
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:18 am
One of my interlocutors is the one that picked the knife for me and he wrote "I found the best possible out of 20 knives"

I hope he was hyperbolic because the knife I received had the same problem of surface irregularities on the backspacer (and liners around it) and one liner had black gaps at the place where you depress the lock. If this is the best out of 20 it still makes for a run with a lot of cosmetic imperfections. At that price it does truely bother me ^^
I had actually decided to go ahead and bite if this knife was part of a July 4th sale that Lamnia usually have for American brands. Checked yesterday morning when I arrived at work - no mention of any sale.
Today I had an e-mail informing me that items in my wishlist were on sale, and amongst them the S2XL at 10% off, but on their site it was still the regular price. I was a bit bummed that I somehow managed to miss it, but reading your post, I think it could be worthwhile to allow time for another batch to come in. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:40 pm

I had actually decided to go ahead and bite if this knife was part of a July 4th sale that Lamnia usually have for American brands. Checked yesterday morning when I arrived at work - no mention of any sale.
Today I had an e-mail informing me that items in my wishlist were on sale, and amongst them the S2XL at 10% off, but on their site it was still the regular price. I was a bit bummed that I somehow managed to miss it, but reading your post, I think it could be worthwhile to allow time for another batch to come in. Thanks for sharing your experience!
They have them listed at 288€ right now, and maybe calling/e-mailing in advance to make them select one might help ? Like I said I can't imagine the 200 Stretch XLs they had all had several issues

EDIT : Nevermind my head is ip my butt I did not understand your reply at all at first ! Yeah my guess is that waiting for a new batch might be the best route, indeed.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:29 pm
They have them listed at 288€ right now, and maybe calling/e-mailing in advance to make them select one might help ? Like I said I can't imagine the 200 Stretch XLs they had all had several issues

EDIT : Nevermind my head is ip my butt I did not understand your reply at all at first ! Yeah my guess is that waiting for a new batch might be the best route, indeed.
Too late :woozy

Somehow I got the sales prices when I logged in after reading your reply, so I decided to give it a go. Probably should have waited, but if our currency continues on the same trend I won’t be able to afford it if I wait any longer. EUR is up almost 50% since spring 2022 :zany
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:18 am

I hope he was hyperbolic because the knife I received had the same problem of surface irregularities on the backspacer (and liners around it) and one liner had black gaps at the place where you depress the lock. If this is the best out of 20 it still makes for a run with a lot of cosmetic imperfections. At that price it does truely bother me ^^.

Another thing is that the liners look like they've been to war here when they did not look like that at all on the previous one (based on what I could see without disassembly).

I decided to keep it because everything else is fine but before I fixed what caused me issues, I took some pictures : https://imgur.com/a/uG7UndR .

Once again I can't seem to take pictures that are able to show the irregularities on the butt of the knife. To describe it it's a lot of flats when it should be one continuous curve.

I've fixed the gaps of the liner at the lock cutout with some 240 grit sandpaper and it's impossible to see there was work done, still flush and everything, same finish.
I'll do the backspacer too when I'm making custom scales for it :shush
I think this is a good summary of why I wasn’t mad about my S2XL, and why I didn’t bother returning it.

You can believe all day long that a $300 should be perfect, but it doesn’t mean that one exists - at least not with a round hole, a 4” blade, a 50/50 choil, and a handle that was sculpted to fit your hand.

My knife is great. Sure I wish I didn’t have to remove the lanyard tube, but it’s still great.

Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I finally got one of these in. It took a long time to find one for a price I was willing to pay but those stars finally aligned.

Holy MOLEY, this is a heavy hitter. The full steel liners add a heft and a sturdiness that is ultimately confidence-inspiring. The weight doesn’t bother me…it’s the opposite. I have several S2XLs so I’m used to the profile by now but the gray g10 really brings out the best in this knife’s beautiful proportions. Cruwear needs no review…it remains my favorite steel to this day.

You could make an argument that this specific design is Sal’s 4” magnum opus. I love the 52100 Millie and the K390 P4 but this is a new ballgame…smaller than both while retaining a nearly identical cutting edge and those stretchy ergonomics are the real star of the show. It’s almost painful to realize that I might have a new favorite 4” over the 52100 Millie but I think that MAY be the case. Time will tell.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Still one I wish I would have purchased, but pretty expensive Afro me when it came out. I try to limit my knives to $200.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:24 am
Still one I wish I would have purchased, but pretty expensive Afro me when it came out. I try to limit my knives to $200.
This one is regular production, so if you ever change your mind there will be more opportunities in the future. :cheap-sunglasses :bug-white-red

The one I have is very special to me and I don't feel comfortable using it. I definitely need another to keep as a user, its a great knife.
-Nick :bug-red
cjk

Post by cjk »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:54 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
This one is regular production, so if you ever change your mind there will be more opportunities in the future. :cheap-sunglasses :bug-white-red

The one I have is very special to me and I don't feel comfortable using it. I definitely need another to keep as a user, its a great knife.
Were you one of the first few in line at the last seconds sale? If so, that's awesome!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cjk wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:14 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:54 am
WilliamMunny wrote:

Were you one of the first few in line at the last seconds sale? If so, that's awesome!
Yeah the first five of us got one with an engraving from Sal. It’s a design that begs to be carried and used but the engraving makes it nearly irreplaceable. I’d rather not take the chance of misplacing it and am willing to purchase another one to keep as a user.
-Nick :bug-red
olywa

Post by olywa »

Got mine during the recent sale and it's close to perfect, with a nice even grind and no evidence of the edge contacting the lanyard tube. Pleasantly surprised by how thin it is.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

After some confusion in the ordering process, mine is finally on the way and scheduled for delivery tomorrow.
Saved a tiny chunk of change on Lamnia’s 4th of July sale, but still nothing close to the summer deals we’ve seen on the US side of the pond.
For being such a large and heavy knife, compared to my preferences, I’m surprisingly excited for this one.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:52 am
After some confusion in the ordering process, mine is finally on the way and scheduled for delivery tomorrow.
Saved a tiny chunk of change on Lamnia’s 4th of July sale, but still nothing close to the summer deals we’ve seen on the US side of the pond.
For being such a large and heavy knife, compared to my preferences, I’m surprisingly excited for this one.
I was gonna message you to see if you had yours yet. They took their time before shipping !
You'll see, with how compact it is it doesn't feel as heavy. More... dense :winking-tongue

After fixing the liner on mine it's just a joy to have, my best backlock for sure. The N5 will stay the top dog in this house, but objectively I can't put that Stretch behind it :squinting-tongue .

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:09 am
I was gonna message you to see if you had yours yet. They took their time before shipping !
You'll see, with how compact it is it doesn't feel as heavy. More... dense :winking-tongue
Just as to not mislead the forum, Lamnia had no fault in this. Their customer service was spotless. The monkey wrench in the machine was all on my end. Details in PM
Lo/Rez

Post by Lo/Rez »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:06 am
Lo/Rez wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:32 am
I received mine today in the mail and will be sending it back for replacement. The blade was not ground properly (missed a progression of one or two belts) and the lock bar doesn't sit flush when the blade is in the opened position.
What's the lockbar do in the closed position?

Can you feel the vertical striations on the blade or is it just something you can see?
The lock bar was flush in the closed position. You could feel the belt finish when you ran you finger over the blade.