How often do you disassemble?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fly Fishing Rick

How often do you disassemble?

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

I'm specifically wondering about knives with ball bearing pivots, how often do you disassemble yours for a good cleaning and fresh oil? I got a Smock a couple weeks ago and it's my first knife with bearings, there's lots of info out there on how to maintain them, just not how often.
-Jimmy
metaphoricalsimile

Re: How often do you disassemble?

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

When the action feels like it needs it.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Just about never. ;)

If there’s stuff in the pivot that needs to be cleaned out, I’ll clean it but otherwise I feel no need to take it apart.
- Nick :bug-red
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Hardly ever.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've had my Smock since the original release, only took it apart to swap the scales. Cleaned it up a bit and relubed. It really didn't need it though.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Fly Fishing Rick

Ok, thank you very much.
-Jimmy
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Unless I'm doing a scale swap or some customization it's rare for me to take them apart. Unless I suspect rust, in which case I will fully disassemble, I just keep it clean and well oiled.

Compressed air, 99% alchohol, KPL regular and heavy weight lube, qtips, paper towels, and some metal polish can solve most of my problems without taking anything apart. Bearings or not.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I never disassemble my Spyderco folders. I also avoid ball bearing knife pivots because there’s more to go wrong and plain bearings work perfectly well. I’m not a knife fidgeter. It’s easy to clean a knife without taking it apart.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

In the twentysome years I've been carrying Spyderco knives, I've never found the need to disassemble one.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I do it anytime there's a need.

blade is off center? I'll take it apart.

Same thing if I suspect rusted liners that need sanded, if action got really fouled up, swapping blades or scales, dying scales etc.

Recently took apart both Resilience folders. Black blade g10 one was off centered and I fixed that, and cleaned the pivot out real good for better action. Satin blade FRN one had a rattling stop pin and while it isn't 100% perfect, it's better than it was after flipping it around.

I don't do it without a good reason but I'm also in no way afraid of taking them apart. they're easier to put back together than a PC or car.
:unicorn
Fly Fishing Rick

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:17 am
I do it anytime there's a need.

blade is off center? I'll take it apart.

Same thing if I suspect rusted liners that need sanded, if action got really fouled up, swapping blades or scales, dying scales etc.

Recently took apart both Resilience folders. Black blade g10 one was off centered and I fixed that, and cleaned the pivot out real good for better action. Satin blade FRN one had a rattling stop pin and while it isn't 100% perfect, it's better than it was after flipping it around.

I don't do it without a good reason but I'm also in no way afraid of taking them apart. they're easier to put back together than a PC or car.
Just flipping the stop pin helped a bit? The lanyard tube on my smock has a slight rattle if I shake it, maybe I'll give that a shot when I swap the scales one of these days. I almost went and turned down a nice new one on the lathe when I discovered it but decided I can live with it for now. I've had all 4 of my Spydercos apart for various reasons and I agree that they are generally quite simple to reassemble. I have seen some that look like they could be frustrating to do though, like the Delica and Parata for example.
-Jimmy
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Never for me. About once or twice a year I’ll get a fish scale it some heavy gunk in the pivot that won’t blow out. If that happens I’ll loosen the pivot enough to create and blow it out with a high pressure hose and retighten.

Like Vivi, I’m not scared of taking them apart, I just don’t have the time or inclination to be wasting time on on unnecessary tasks. If there’s a reason, sure I’ll disassemble but there pretty much never is. Just my 2 cents.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Most of the time when I buy a knife, new or used, I'll play with it a bit, decide if it's broken in or needs some working first, then take it down for a deep cleaning, lube, and tune. After that they go a long time before they need to be dissasembled again - months of carry or longer... Most of the time I can just apply some oil and then blow the pivots out with compressed air if there's some gunk in there. When the action has really slowed and that little trick doesnt do it any more, time to take it down again. I dissasemble to swap scales more often than to clean, honestly, but might as well clean it out while I'm in there. Dissasembling more than neccesary is just a recipe for destroyed T6 screws.
James Y

Post by James Y »

If i need to adjust or tighten a pivot or other screw, or change a pocket clip's position I'll do that, but I've never disassembled a knife. And I've been using 'modern' knife designs for 25 years. I'm not saying others dont need to or shouldn't do it, but I personally do not, and have never needed to. And all of my knives work fine.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I only disassemble if I am modifying a knife or if something is seriously wrong. So rarely is my answer and never for any of my knives with ballbearings, so far.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kobold

Post by kobold »

I only have one of those. So far just once.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Honestly, it depends on the knife. When my Sage 2 was my daily carry I’d take it down way more than was necessary. It is such a well thought out knife that was a joy and a breeze. Now I carry a Janlica and I never take it apart. Just not worth the hassle, unless something is “off”. A drop or two of oil fixes most things.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

If I disassemble, it's usually for a scale swap, to remedy some glaring issue with centering or the like, or if the knife just becomes exceedingly dirty. I keep compressed air handy and will typically blow my knives out every couple days.. this seems to keep them in good working order for quite a long time and mitigates the need to constantly disassemble them for cleaning. When it comes to oil/lube, less is more in my experience.. too much will actually increase the likelihood of needing to clean/disassemble because it will attract more dust/debris, especially if the knife is running on bearings. I don't have any sort of specific "disassembly schedule" or anything like that.. I'd say, get yourself a can of compressed air, a set of quality tools, and do what you're comfortable with when you feel it's needed.. I don't think there's any wrong answer here..

Also.. WATCH OUT FOR THAT SNEAKY SECOND DETENT ON THE SMOCK!!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Fly Fishing Rick

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:36 am
If I disassemble, it's usually for a scale swap, to remedy some glaring issue with centering or the like, or if the knife just becomes exceedingly dirty. I keep compressed air handy and will typically blow my knives out every couple days.. this seems to keep them in good working order for quite a long time and mitigates the need to constantly disassemble them for cleaning. When it comes to oil/lube, less is more in my experience.. too much will actually increase the likelihood of needing to clean/disassemble because it will attract more dust/debris, especially if the knife is running on bearings. I don't have any sort of specific "disassembly schedule" or anything like that.. I'd say, get yourself a can of compressed air, a set of quality tools, and do what you're comfortable with when you feel it's needed.. I don't think there's any wrong answer here..

Also..WATCH OUT FOR THAT SNEAKY SECOND DETENT ON THE SMOCK!!
I already removed that pesky little guy on day 1 ;)
-Jimmy
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Rarely do I disassemble anything.

The builds of the many Spydies I own have freed me of this necessity, except for two (different models) from unknown shops in Maniago.

No, when it comes to inner workings, oral histories and archival documents are where I spend my free time.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”