Do we really need a finger choil ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Do we really need a finger choil ?

Post by elena86 »

Or a ricasso ? I used to like a finger choil as much as the next guy but lately, I came to appreciate the handle forward concept with the brilliant idea of a small hidden ricasso. Locking mechanism aside I prefer as much cutting edge as possible in my blades.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Re: Do we really need a finger choil ?

Post by Wartstein »

Well, my mind has not changed on this:

1.) A finger choil is great on folders so small, that without a choil they would not offer a good four finger grip (example for my hand size: Chaparral)

2.) A finger choil can be nice, if the knife is big enough that the actual (FRN/G10...) handle behind the choil still offers enough space for a good four finger grip (example: Stretch)

3.) A finger choil (just for my taste!) is not the best choice if the actual FRN/G10 handle WOULD offer enough space, but does not due to the space the handle part of the choil consumes (example: Native 5: Would - for me - be a better knife with no choil, but instead more edge)

4.) Normally for me a (Endura style) Ricasso is the "better finger choil": Perfectl for choking up on it (in fact gives me more control than most choils), but consumes less edge length and puts the edge closer to the hand when NOT choking up,

5.) The (backlock) handle forward design is cool, but it does NOT necessarily offer as much cutting edge as possible or more than a knife with choil: Take for example Rock Jumper ("handle forward") and Stretch 1 (has a choil):
- Both closed 11.3 mm long
- But the Rock Jumper gives you "just" 72 mm / 2.85" of edge, the Stretch 1 (again, despite having a choil!) 81 mm / 3.2" of edge
- Even if the Rock Jumper would get a handle filling blade, it would still "just" offer around 78 mm/ 3,1" of edge

6.) Generally I am totally with you: Choil or not, I always want a model to offer as much blade / edge as the space in the handle allows for.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... Added to my post above:

7.) Choking up on the very cutting edge is not a problem at all too, of one knows what they are doing. Even in "harder" tasks, I do it all the time, no issues or injuies whatsoever in many years.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I wish Endura family got finally nice finger choil like Stretch or Police 4.

But I really like Sliverax model which has probably the best edge to handle ratio in Spyderco.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i like models with and without, but the manix is my favorite, so i guess i prefer it. i like the tactile feel of having my finger on the blade when i'm not using the knife hard and i like a good comfortable handle for hard use. so i guess i prefer choils on folders and none on fixed blades.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Michal O wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:34 pm
I wish Endura family got finally nice finger choil like Stretch or Police 4.

But I really like Sliverax model which has probably the best edge to handle ratio in Spyderco.
that's what i like about the stretch xl... it's like an endura with a better handle. i don't actually own one yet, but as soon as it's a salt, it's mine.

you should check out the astute also if you want a lot of edge in a smaller package. it doesn't even seem possible for the to be so much edge in that handle.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

I agree with Wartstein's posts/benefits and would add that the ability to really choke up to a blade edge comfortably gives a lot more control when doing some precise cutting tasks in my experience. I love that my Chaparral is small enough to fit in my 5th(watch) pocket yet still provides a good comfortable grip for my XL hands.
-Jimmy
James Y

Post by James Y »

For ME, it depends on the knife. I'm OK with it on the Military, PM2, Manix 2, Native Chief, Police 4, etc. I would NOT want a choil on the Endura or Delica.

Jim
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Rescue models also have nice handle with finger choil. Endura/Delica/Endela compared to them have wasted space and worse looking profile opened/closed. Even Dragonfly has it done better. Maybe it's time for Endura 5.

Astute is nice, but I would like to have better steel.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My top 5 Spyderco knives all have a choil, so yes...they need them ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

As is often the case, I agree with Wartstein. However I have smaller paws, so my ideal size limits for choil / no choil is probably somewhat different, and right there’s one of the dilemmas for a knife company trying to satisfy everyone
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

On folders, sometimes I like choils, sometimes I don't. I very strongly dislike them on fixed blades.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

My preference is no choil on the blade except for slippies and perhaps small knives.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

As far as knives are concerned I don't really need anything...but I like the models with them and I like the models without
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Choking up on the actual cutting edge is just asking for an accident to happen. It might not result in a cut every single time but it’s literally the dangerous part of the blade. To suggest it should be used as part of the handle is illogical to me. To each their own, I guess.

“Do we really need a finger choil?” - the answer is no, knives can function perfectly fine without them. As OP displayed though, whether or not the knife should have one heavily depends on preferences. (Both designer and user preferences.)

The whole “handle forward concept” is specific to back locks and, in my opinion, it’s really not all that revolutionary as it is already implemented with other lock types. It seems fairly simple though, the handle is brought forward to effectively cover the ricasso.
-Nick :bug-red
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I like both with and without. If I’m in a choil mood I carry one with a choil. If I’m not I carry one without. Glad Spyderco gives us so many options.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've never choked up onto the actual edge of a blade. If I need to choke up without a choil, I pinch both sides of the blade between my thumb and index finger. With a Spyderco, I can do that at the Spyderhole.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

nope. i prefer not having one.

i've used a lot of designs that have them, and a lot that don't.

Whether we're talking small folders, big folders, small fixed blades, choppers, chef knives.......I prefer no choils.

Comparing my Resilience to my Military I find the extra cutting edge of the Resilience useful, and not having a choil reduces the chance for materials to snag during a cut.
:unicorn
Retlawman590

Post by Retlawman590 »

I prefer not to have a choil. I personally don't have the need for one.