Next Project To Revive Another GOLDEN ERA Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spicy Suplex

Re: Next Project To Revive Another GOLDEN ERA Model

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:46 am
Every time this thread gets remade, my answer is always the Rookie. So, I’d like to see a revival of the Rookie.

I was looking on the Spydiewiki just yesterday for models that fell within these parameters, as I'm a little out of my depth, and the Rookie stuck out to me very much. Always adored the Police, but it's not something I would realistically ever carry.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:14 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:06 am
elena86 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:21 am

And keep the hood …
Without the hood it ain’t a Salsa! Maybe Picante but not a Salsa
Without the hood and pepper on the scales, it just more like spicy ketchup!
Whatever the flavor without its hood or Jalapeño graphic, it sure won’t be a Salsa without its distinctive detent and closing click.

I would be curious, though, to see if Sal could find the tooling somewhere in Taipei and would bring back the compression-lock untweaked.

I treasure my green CE AUS8 sample, but suspect that with all that’s come since, not enough people here will consider the model consequential enough.
I have a blue and a red model, but chickened out on getting the Titanium version. I thought it was too expensive at the time! :rofl If only I could see into the future. :crystal-ball
Last edited by JRinFL on Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

So, lots of people seem to like the Rookie. If JD likes it, maybe he can drive one more into the end zone?
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I’m very glad to see the apparent interest in the Rookie. It gives me some hope we might see another run. Some day.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Salsa was a neat little knife. Had a big knife feel when it came to the handle. Always liked the cobra hood on it too. Wish that feature still got used....makes using the thumb ramp more comfortable.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:41 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:03 am
Mushroom wrote:
Every time this thread gets remade, my answer is always the Rookie. So, I’d like to see a revival of the Rookie.
I love the Rookie model. I gifted one to an older friend of mine and he said it was the best pocket knife he ever owned. That was about 1 year ago now. A Rookie with a supersteel blade is an excellent choice.

I am a bit surprised that no one yet has mentioned the KRIS model. With all the collector craze that knife has enjoyed in the past 4 years I'm surprised that someone hasn't brought that subject up.

Again I love the ROOKIE as a candidate.
I think a K390 Rookie to match the K390 Police 4 would be such a cool combo!

Since you mention it, the Kris model is one I would definitely be interested to see brought back for a sprint. I seem to recall hearing something about a Lil’ Kris model being in the works. Maybe someone who has seen their prototype case at a trade show mentioned it but none the less, I’d still like to see another full size Kris some day.
Totally agree>> but I don't want a little version the KRIS I want the "Real McCoy" version. The KRIS was a lot like the Ayoob in a sense. Because in the first run it's sales were a bit disappointing. But now that it's got collector appeal I think it would sell great in a second time around.

A K390 ROOKIE might even be one that I would be tempted to EDC. The state next to us Kansas has stricter knife laws than my home state of Missouri so the Rookie would do well in that situation whenever I have to work over in Kansas. And that model with a K390 blade would be nice.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:21 pm
The Salsa was a neat little knife. Had a big knife feel when it came to the handle. Always liked the cobra hood on it too. Wish that feature still got used....makes using the thumb ramp more comfortable.
Vivi I had two of the Titanium Salsa. It was my fav of all the Salsa models. It even had a different blade steel than the others (ATS-34). The TI version just seemed to be a lot nicer for a lot reasons. And yes that was one model that I thought the Cobra Hood actually helped it. The others being the ASSIST and the Titanium ATR.
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

That clip on the BlackHawk is a thing of beauty.

(The blade... Not the pocket clip...)
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:43 am
Well, for me it would have to be the C90 stainless steel craton Stretch (the first "real" Stretch that was actually called so??)

Just a bit smaller than the Stretch 1, is from the time you call the "Golden era" and one of the coolest looking Spydies ever imo.

See here https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... trade-/166

And this pic from the Spyderco site

That is a beautiful knife. I would love to see a revival of it, perhaps with a Micarta or G-10 inlay, and with the curved blade spine.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:06 am
elena86 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:21 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:53 pm
elena86 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:40 am
Bring back the Salsa.
Thank you! Make certain the pepper is on the scales, too.
And keep the hood …
Without the hood it ain’t a Salsa! Maybe Picante but not a Salsa
Salsa! Salsa! Salsa! Salsa! Salsa! Salsa!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Road Tripper wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:43 am
Well, for me it would have to be the C90 stainless steel craton Stretch (the first "real" Stretch that was actually called so??)

Just a bit smaller than the Stretch 1, is from the time you call the "Golden era" and one of the coolest looking Spydies ever imo.

See here https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... trade-/166

And this pic from the Spyderco site

That is a beautiful knife. I would love to see a revival of it, perhaps with a Micarta or G-10 inlay, and with the curved blade spine.
That would be cool.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:51 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:03 am
Mushroom wrote:
I love the Rookie model. I gifted one to an older friend of mine and he said it was the best pocket knife he ever owned. That was about 1 year ago now. A Rookie with a supersteel blade is an excellent choice.

I am a bit surprised that no one yet has mentioned the KRIS model. With all the collector craze that knife has enjoyed in the past 4 years I'm surprised that someone hasn't brought that subject up.

Again I love the ROOKIE as a candidate.
Oh, I did mention the Kris.
Enactive wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:05 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 pm
I’ve asked several times for a full size Jess Horn sprint. I’d be happy to see it made in the same configuration as the recent Baby Horn sprint (in dark gray G10).
That would be cool. Would buy. Cruwear goes with gray G10. :thinking
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:05 pm
The Rookie would be an excellent choice. I'll also add my vote for that, even though the correct answer is Persian 75mm. ;)
I could maybe go for a Rookie.

To your second point...

When (if) Moki is fully up for it, the correct answer is the Kris. Optimistically we're due for a new Ed Schempp model in the next few years.

The Kris is unique in my accumulation as a bolstered, pinned, hafted modern... with a spydiehole. (It was also made ~ 17 years ago). I could go for more like that-- though i don't think we're headed that way-- nor do i know of anyone going that direction these days. Anyone know any custom makers doing work like that now?

The persians are cool too, but i don't love trailing points aesthetically nor functionally, otherwise i'd have a couple of those too. :cheap-sunglasses

What would really be incredible-- if Moki could-- is a reissue of the C27 Horn.
You did indeed mention the KRIS model. I can usually scan several posts and pick out stuff at a pretty rapid rate. I've been doing that for years now. But I truly overlooked your suggestion of the KRIS model and you have my apologies. I'll go eat some crow now>>> But I want it with A-1 sauce on it
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

After some thought, Kris and Uliez
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One iconic model from the early 2000s that was a rave here on the forum when I first joined but you rarely hear of it anymore. I'm speaking of the GUNTING model. Which was designed by a self defense expert named Bram Frank.

We even had a lady here on the forum ( Simona) who everyone called the GUNTING GIRL. But after about 2008 that model faded away really quickly. I thought it had the best pocket clip I ever had on a folder. I don't think they can do a Sprint Run of the GUNTING from what I heard. Not sure why but I think I heard that a few years back.

There was one really obscure model that you never ever hear about anymore. It was the SPUR model. I owned one at one point that I got in a trade. I did like the design but it's long been forgotten. I've only seen or heard of maybe 2 in the past 15 years. It doesn't get mentioned very often.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have one Gunting that never sees the light of day. The Gunting will never return. Bram has shopped it around to at least two other makers since Spyderco had their turn.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that the “hook” above the opening hole has an actual function but I don’t think Spyderco has ever made an uglier knife than the Gunting. I’d even take a Jot Singh Khalsa over the Gunting. Also, the clip placement on the Gunting would never fly today with how prevalent deep carry has become.

One interesting note about the Gunting model is that the Compression Lock was developed specifically for this model.

As I understand it, there was a falling out between Spyderco and Bram Frank due to some unsafe behavior at trade shows. Something about physically demonstrating martial arts techniques with show attendees, which got Spyderco in some hot water.

I have to agree with JR, another Spyderco Gunting does not seem plausible.
- Nick :bug-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I know there’s a probably almost as many opinions about which model to bring back as there are users, and they’re all equally valid.
While Spyderco has an impressive catalogue of unique and obscure designs, many of which I’m still learning about, I primarily want to see them pick up on the designs that were ahead of its time, and maybe failed because the market wasn’t ready for them yet.
With smaller and thinner knives being more in vogue the last couple of years, I think models like the Rookie and Baby Goddard (which I only discovered yesterday, in the WSIIYPT thread) could see quite some increase in demand in today’s market.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Baby Goddard would be a dream! Love any design that comes down over your grip at the pivot, like the Siren. As stated before I love the Rookie as well!

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:54 am
There was one really obscure model that you never ever hear about anymore. It was the SPUR model. I owned one at one point that I got in a trade. I did like the design but it's long been forgotten. I've only seen or heard of maybe 2 in the past 15 years. It doesn't get mentioned very often.

The Spur is lovely, too! Looks like it punches way up, I love the blade.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spicy Suplex wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:41 am
Baby Goddard would be a dream! Love any design that comes down over your grip at the pivot, like the Siren. As stated before I love the Rookie as well!

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:54 am

The Spur is lovely, too! Looks like it punches way up, I love the blade.
I bet there isn't even 5 people on this forum who are even aware of the SPUR model. It never got much fanfare or recognition.

It's almost like the perfect "lady's Knife". It would also be good where they have draconian, fascist knife laws. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be nice with a newer/better blade steel and maybe a titanium handle?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 pm
I’ve asked several times for a full size Jess Horn sprint. I’d be happy to see it made in the same configuration as the recent Baby Horn sprint (in dark gray G10).
I love the elegance of my original Jess Horn2, but being Moki-made, it may be too much to ask, at least until Sal is satisfied with his mentoring.

Would you prefer the original grind and pins? I gather there was some disappointment with the FFG Baby Horn sprint, or perhaps with the execution.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”