Would you buy a Stretch XL Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Stretch XL Salt?

yes
24%
YES
23%
Absolutely.
53%

Total votes: 83

Cl1ff

Re: Would you buy a Stretch XL Salt?

Post by Cl1ff »

Seems like an unpopular opinion, but I think I’d most like a Stretch XL with the original blade shape as a salt and have it called the “Riparovenator”. Riparovenator is the name of a dinosaur that likely spent a decent amount of time hunting fish around water with its crocodile-like jaws. It means “River Hunter” in Latin and also harkens back to the Stretch design’s lineage in the old Pro-venator model.
I made some fun sketches a bit ago playing with this idea and even the marketing that could go with it (Spyderco and Byrd have some history with cool dinosaur marketing stuff that I’m quite fond of), but never fully fleshed out the idea.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Only if it does NOT have a straight spine.

I will only buy Magnacut. I have several LC200N and H1. If we're introducing models they should definitely be Magnacut
R100

Post by R100 »

I voted absolutely, but only if it's Magnacut. Linerless VG10 is rust resistant enough for me and holds an edge better than LC200n. Hollow ground H2 might be interesting but I don't know how that would work with the XL blade shape.

I was a little slow to warm up to the XL because it is disconcertingly light but I am growing to love it and would like some variations in blade steel. My real hopes are for an MC Salt and a K390 version.

Dan
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

^^^^^ Totally agree!

I'd be pretty happy with any Salt, however. Eventually there will be Stretch 2XLs with G-10, Micarta and Ti scales, Salt treatment, all the cool steels, etc. It's too good a design not to be a featured product alongside the Millie, PM2, Endura, Delica and the rest.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

R100 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:41 pm
I voted absolutely, but only if it's Magnacut. Linerless VG10 is rust resistant enough for me and holds an edge better than LC200n. Hollow ground H2 might be interesting but I don't know how that would work with the XL blade shape.

I was a little slow to warm up to the XL because it is disconcertingly light but I am growing to love it and would like some variations in blade steel. My real hopes are for an MC Salt and a K390 version.

Dan
This is is the version I would be the most interested in. H2 hollow ground. Assuming H2 performs similarly to H1. I think the blade shape would work great. The thickness at the pivot doesn't change. Just stays at that thickness down the spine. Similar to the Pac Salt H1 vs LC200N models. Everything is exactly the same until you move away from the pivot.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

While I totally agree with Surfingringo's point about H1s unsurpassed corrosion resistance in the Vivi conundrum thread, I'm not looking for the ultimate saltwater performer in the S2XL. The size to weight ratio is really the attraction for me with this design. And while I think this design would really shine with the added peace of mind and worriless nature of a salt knife, I wouldn't want that to come at the expense of the light weight, that I really consider to be the core philosophy of this design.
It's FFG Salt or bust for me, with this one.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Is anybody going to throw stuff at me if I ask for a wharncliffe version???

(ready to duck)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Not at all. There is even another thread about it. I don't see why not, providing the sales warrant it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not really a fan of the XL, but if it was done in LC200N I'd probably buy one. In H-1, probably not.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

cjk wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:24 am

(ready to duck)
Definitely not me ;) MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I've gotta assume that a Salt S2XL is coming one day. But probably not soon given all the models already known to be in the pipeline.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

a little disappointed to not see this one in the reveal. lots of great stuff, but this knife feels so inevitable due to the already linerless design. i was hoping it would come to fruition sooner rather than later. all black please! 🙏🏼
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 6:49 pm
a little disappointed to not see this one in the reveal. lots of great stuff, but this knife feels so inevitable due to the already linerless design. i was hoping it would come to fruition sooner rather than later. all black please! 🙏🏼
day 1 purchase for me whenever it happens. Only a matter of time.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:24 am

(ready to duck)

Not throwing stuff at you... ;), I think this knife deserves any possible version!!

But for whatever reason (or perhaps even just NO reason but looks or lack of experience with long wharnie folders) I personally still prefer wharnie shape in shorter blades than the XL has.

Btw: The edge of the XL (and any Stretch for that matter) is "wharnie like" (= completely straight) over a pretty long section already.
But of course it does not have that wharnie tip and wharnie front section of the blade.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

If it is made in Magnacut yes.
If it is made in LC200N, I'd have to wait and see the price.

Prices in Europe are close if not equal to MSRP right now. I kept a similar "knife budget" but buy far less because of it, so I'm more selective when it comes to models and configurations.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I would love to see this knife in magnacut with the same blade shape as now. It would be quite attractive in H1/H2, as well - but not sure how a sheepsfoot blade style would work in the same space/handle/mold - spyderco really maximized blade length and shape to fit this model. Lc200n, not my first choice, but probably the steel most likely to be seen sooner in a salt variation. Magnacut is still probably some time away from making it to seki, Sal has mentioned something about the difficulties of getting new non-local steels to seki.

I am looking forward to whichever variation of a salt version is released.

Edit to add: I would happily wait an extra year or two for a magnacut version vs lc200n
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

No
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Yes
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:30 am
If it is made in Magnacut yes.
If it is made in LC200N, I'd have to wait and see the price.

Prices in Europe are close if not equal to MSRP right now. I kept a similar "knife budget" but buy far less because of it, so I'm more selective when it comes to models and configurations.
Exactly this.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

I wonder if Seki MagnaCut is possible at all right now? What I mean is there are limitations to exporting MagnaCut. I know China is off-limits, don't know about other asian countries though. However, so far, there were only knives from USA and Europe released.

Doesn anyone know how that limitation works in detail?

Also, potentially, MagnaCut could be even cheaper than LC200N - on AKS MagnaCut is about half the price of LC200N