Dedicated box cutter knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Dedicated box cutter knife?

Post by GarageBoy »

I'm surprised no one has ever done a dedicated box cutting knife

I use utility knives to break down boxes because those thin 0.025" thick blades blaze through better than any pocket knife can, but the cutting edge on them are usually super short, unless it's something like the utilizer

https://urbanedcsupply.com/products/spe ... s-utilizer

Would love a wharncliffe shape knife, not much more thick blade stock in something wear resistant...

Maybe I have to get a custom maker to make me something
Evil D

Re: Dedicated box cutter knife?

Post by Evil D »

We've talked about a Spyderco folder that uses utility blades a bunch of times but it has never happened. For something like that I'd actually prefer disposable blades because you'd sharpen it so often and the blade is so small you'd sharpen it away. I carried a Gerber EAB for years.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I fear my friend no one has ever done that because there is not much of market for it. Lets face it a box cutter knife costs nothing in a brick&mortar store. A spyderco box cutter knife as you discribe would be an expensive speciality variant and would only be interesting for the spyderco enthousiast.
And a spyderco fan does not need that because every spydie can brake down boxes like there nothing. So in the end we already have all the box cutters in all shapes sizes and steels that are possible to make.
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

Does something like the TPT Slide not count?

If I didnt like knives, I would totally carry a Milwaukee fastback.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

apollo wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:54 am
I fear my friend no one has ever done that because there is not much of market for it. Lets face it a box cutter knife costs nothing in a brick&mortar store.

Oh it's been done, I can't name any off the top of my head but I've seen crazy high end titanium versions, but then the argument is "it cost $______ and doesn't even have a blade!!" so I understand why more companies don't do it. Also for a company like Spyderco where the steel itself is a big part of their whole existence, selling something completely lacking steel is weird. I would be interested to see how they handled a thumb hole opening, blade swapping method and of course pocket clip, but I don't see it happening. The trade guys who buy the ones already on the market would probably laugh at a "Spyderco price" for something like this.
~David
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

We're all Spydie fans here and many of us would buy one to support our favorite brand, but it's been brought up before and judging by the lack of response, I figure the powers that be don't think it's a niche they want to pursue. For this role, I bought a bunch of Gerber EAB's when they first came out for Christmas stocking stuffers. I even included a couple ceramic blades to make 'em salt worthy for my fishing buddies. Competitive market that I don't think Spyderco wants to spend valuable time on.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

No, I don't want a box cutter handle that uses disposable blades - the edge is too short for me, and the cardboard binds up where the blade meets the handle - I want an actual knife with a thin 2.5-3" blade (or not so thin blade with a thin grind) with the same shape as a box cutter

I understand why disposables are popular in this category, I'm just surprised there's never been an alternative
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There's a pretty long thread about the idea a several weeks past.

I'll just repeat what Sal asks each time some new request comes up: What item in the line up would you give up to make room for this new item?

Since we have no insight in to what Spyderco makes on each item, we'd have to make WAG as to whether or not this new item would be as profitable as the item it replaced. Also remember that a guaranteed seller beats a "maybe" seller every day.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:39 am
No, I don't want a box cutter handle that uses disposable blades - the edge is too short for me, and the cardboard binds up where the blade meets the handle - I want an actual knife with a thin 2.5-3" blade (or not so thin blade with a thin grind) with the same shape as a box cutter

I understand why disposables are popular in this category, I'm just surprised there's never been an alternative
Maybe the performance Delica (coming soon-ish?) is what you are waiting for?

I just use a CS Click N Cut. Works well and is dead cheap. Blades can be sharpened a few times as well.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It still wont be better than a box cutter though.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:56 am
Kinda sad but probably true. :winking-tongue
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Take a look at this thread, lots of options and discussions.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89416&hilit=chavez&start=160
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:43 am

I'll just repeat what Sal asks each time some new request comes up: What item in the line up would you give up to make room for this new item?
Counter Puppy -

Actually, looking at it, it's only 2.0mm thick - with a different blade shape, it'd be nice "utility knife" form - could sit on a work table too

I've read through the utility knife thread - I'm not looking for something that utilizes stanley or olfa style blades. I'm thinking more of yojimbo in dedicated "utility" form - if Cold Steel did a super thin tuff lite, it'd be what I'd want. Or is a 2-3" 0.025-0.050" thick blade to sketchy to sell to the public?
VooDooChild wrote:
Surprised no one has done an XL Stanley knife with a longer blade
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:20 am
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:43 am

Counter Puppy -

Actually, looking at it, it's only 2.0mm thick - with a different blade shape, it'd be nice "utility knife" form - could sit on a work table too

I've read through the utility knife thread - I'm not looking for something that utilizes stanley or olfa style blades. I'm thinking more of yojimbo in dedicated "utility" form - if Cold Steel did a super thin tuff lite, it'd be what I'd want. Or is a 2-3" 0.025-0.050" thick blade to sketchy to sell to the public?
VooDooChild wrote:
Surprised no one has done an XL Stanley knife with a longer blade
CS Click N Cut is available in fixed and folder versions. It might be suitable to your needs. Certainly is inexpensive enough to give it a try.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Actually, those look pretty cool - slim blades, decent blade shape and handle shape
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

If you’re interested enough to contact a custom maker, you might be able to save few bucks by purchasing one of the Mickey Yurco customized Delica, Endela, or Endura wharncliffes and just having the blade ground as thin as possible. The knives already have a blade shape reminiscent of a utility blade, so adding a super thin regrind might be a way to achieve what you’re looking for.

https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... harncliffe
-Nick :bug-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I have one. It’s a s110v native, g10 with liners, that was reground to .010” BTE

All I do with it is cut up cardboard and stuff to put in the recycling bin at the house
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

Since way back in my restaurant management days, my dedicated box cutter has been one of those cheap, plastic handled steak knives.

Granted, I end up doing a lot more cardboard sawing than cutting, but those things go forever without getting too dull to function fairly well.
max808

Post by max808 »

Sal and Mike just came out with their most noble expression of the YoJumbo, or maybe that's a bit too much boxcutter for ya... in which case I would refer you to their YoJimbo or soon to be MicroJimbo. Then there's the McBee, Dogtag or return of the legendary Dodo on the smaller side of things. Really Spyderco is the only manufacturer I can think of that already has half a dozen boxcutters in their lineup, ánd in premium steels. And I didn't even mention the Canis... :cheap-sunglasses
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm gonna oversimplify the heck out of this and say, make a Native 5 with a "blade" that holds utility blades. I think it would be the perfect size for it, and using an existing model/tooling would cut down costs a lot.

The Gerber EAB is a great little utility knife but it's just not big enough for a guy who's cutting carpet all day (and if we're honest, in a job like that the quick blade deployment of a standard utility knife is going to be extremely hard to beat anyway).

And furthermore as I look at that Native with the utility blade laying on it, I can't for the life of me understand why there isn't already a Native 5 wharnie. That is money in the bank right there.

This idea was even brought up 5 whole years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75519
~David