Maxamet edge testing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Maxamet edge testing

Post by Josh Crutchley »

This was posted in the ZDP-189 edge test thread but wanted to start my own. Once I get the knife back I'll do some other tests.

The knife was used heavily for almost 2yrs and was the subject of many sharpening experiments. The initial edge bevel was too low ~11dps to pass the whittle test so he he raised it to 13dps.

Last edited by Josh Crutchley on Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
attila

Re: Maxamet 13dps edge test

Post by attila »

Cool!

Luong didn’t say if that’s good or bad or better or worse than expected.

Not having context of what’s a good result, was that a good result?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

attila wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:37 pm
Cool!

Maxamet PM2 did 33"
ZDP-189 Endura did 27"

There some info on different steels in the comments of the video. He said it performed well for a production knife.
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Able to whittle elk antler tip with 13dps edge is better than 15-16dps average. Edge must be strong and tough enough to successfully dig into the hard & dense antler. My projection (not really an expectation) passing test angle was 14-15dps = well done Spyderco. However compare to my research result, this maxamet 13dps is way below my current average around 10.5 dps. There are many long and boring videos on my channel with whittling elk antler tip test.

This maxamet knife cut 33" of heavy duty scouring pad is respectable but short of my projection/guess of 45-50". Again compare to my research, this maxamet did poorly.

I tested Spyderco zdp-189 & maxamet to gather baseline for production knives edge performance. I was planning to sequence (re-ht) zdp-189 then perform same test to measure the difference. LOL, can't find my endura zdp-189 knife while on trip - nifty sure someone borrowing it ;) So at this point, no plan to buy another knife. I do have plan to sequence z-max which has quite similar composition to maxamet and I've a bar of z-max, hence no need to buy a spyderco maxamet knife.

Today I thinned the lower 1/4 primary bevel of this maxamet (Josh's want a thinner BTE) using slack belt. Now, at sub 0.010" BTE 13dps, It's quite pleasant to cut thing with it and had no issue aggressively whittled Lignum Vitae. It's an awesome knife for most knife users. For my EDC - I insists 10dps and 80+" edge performance :respect
attila wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:37 pm
Cool!

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

bluntcut wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:43 pm
Able to whittle elk antler tip with 13dps edge is better than 15-16dps average. Edge must be strong and tough enough to successfully dig into the hard & dense antler. My projection (not really an expectation) passing test angle was 14-15dps = well done Spyderco. However compare to my research result, this maxamet 13dps is way below my current average around 10.5 dps. There are many long and boring videos on my channel with whittling elk antler tip test.

This maxamet knife cut 33" of heavy duty scouring pad is respectable but short of my projection/guess of 45-50". Again compare to my research, this maxamet did poorly.

I tested Spyderco zdp-189 & maxamet to gather baseline for production knives edge performance. I was planning to sequence (re-ht) zdp-189 then perform same test to measure the difference. LOL, can't find my endura zdp-189 knife while on trip - nifty sure someone borrowing it ;) So at this point, no plan to buy another knife. I do have plan to sequence z-max which has quite similar composition to maxamet and I've a bar of z-max, hence no need to buy a spyderco maxamet knife.

Today I thinned the lower 1/4 primary bevel of this maxamet (Josh's want a thinner BTE) using slack belt. Now, at sub 0.010" BTE 13dps, It's quite pleasant to cut thing with it and had no issue aggressively whittled Lignum Vitae. It's an awesome knife for most knife users. For my EDC - I insists 10dps and 80+" edge performance :respect
I've always wondered about reheat treating blades. Would you have to remove the edge so it doesn't overheat?

I forgot the blade was slightly warped so that might have gave you a little trouble. Can't wait to try it out and compare to the Manix 2.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

bluntcut wrote:

Out of curiosity: which knives/steels meet your EDC edge performance requirements?
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:49 am
I've always wondered about reheat treating blades. Would you have to remove the edge so it doesn't overheat?
No edge overheat issue because blade is in stainless steel foil pouch/envelope and oven is within 50+-F isothermal. Most of the time, I dull the edge just enough for ease of (careless) handling. There is minute decarb, so a quick sharpening is warranted anyway.
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:16 pm
bluntcut wrote:

Out of curiosity: which knives/steels meet your EDC edge performance requirements?
I don't think, there are any production knives met this requirement. Clearly demonstrated this maxamet is far from passing this criteria. Huge difference between 10 and 13dps, sure isn't linear. 33" cut is a giant gap from 80". Rex121 would probably need 15+dps and might cut up to 50", yep way short.

Thus far from my research works: CPM T-15, Rex121, S125V, (can't recall but maybe M398 as well) met this criteria. Browse my youtube channel to see videos of these sequenced blades/steels. S90V probably be close, since S60V got 65+". 10V, K390 and a few others are also good candidates.