The Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RAHComanche

Re: The Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Post by RAHComanche »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm
Mine was a little tight in the pivot on arrival but I’ve learned to leave it alone and it’ll loosen with use. Sure enough, it’s smoothed out over the past week and has great action now. That’s been my experience with a lot of coated blades and I’ve come to expect it.
My Magnacut PM2 actually has a bit looser action than I prefer. Easy to cut yourself! But I may change the scales so I will then tighten it up a bit.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

RugerNurse wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:58 am
Hopsbreath wrote:
Mine was a little tight in the pivot on arrival but I’ve learned to leave it alone and it’ll loosen with use. Sure enough, it’s smoothed out over the past week and has great action now. That’s been my experience with a lot of coated blades and I’ve come to expect it.
So the coating helps with the action? I haven’t been a huge fan of coatings in the past but a warming up to them.
No, quite the opposite. Apologies for not being clear on my wording. Coated blades almost always feel stiff and tighter than their non-coated counterparts. A little time and use helps the blade “wear-in” and the action gets more fluid. DLC is a tuff coating to break-in though, so while it flicks open easily now, it’s still not drop shut smooth… yet. I’m confident with time and use it’ll still get there though.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:06 am
RugerNurse wrote:
Hopsbreath wrote:
So the coating helps with the action? I haven’t been a huge fan of coatings in the past but a warming up to them.
No, quite the opposite. Apologies for not being clear on my wording. Coated blades almost always feel stiff and tighter than their non-coated counterparts. A little time and use helps the blade “wear-in” and the action gets more fluid. DLC is a tuff coating to break-in though, so while it flicks open easily now, it’s still not drop shut smooth… yet. I’m confident with time and use it’ll still get there though.
Gotcha. I’m debating if I should wait for the uncoated version or this one
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
tzirconia

Post by tzirconia »

Hopsbreath wrote:
RugerNurse wrote:
Hopsbreath wrote:
Thanks for sharing this perspective, very helpful.
I can't help but wonder if this "breaking in" period for coated blades may be at least part of the reason why Spyderco is pursuing the new coating tech with less friction... 🤔
dubya3(new)

Post by dubya3(new) »

I really want one of the black PM2 Magnacut models but absolutely hate coated blades. I pre-ordered a Para 3 LW Magnacut for now to tide me over but I really want to see the Salt PM2 with an uncoated blade.
ducatijosh

Post by ducatijosh »

I want the salt uncoated blade here as well, then I'm going to toss on some AWT OD Green Aluminum scales
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

dubya3(new) wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:53 pm
I really want one of the black PM2 Magnacut models but absolutely hate coated blades. I pre-ordered a Para 3 LW Magnacut for now to tide me over but I really want to see the Salt PM2 with an uncoated blade.
The next PM2 with the yellow scales will be uncoated.

Edit: does the coating add anything for corrosion? Blade HQ said in an article that sometimes the blade can rust from underneath? Not a significant concern with Magnacut but curious.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

RugerNurse wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:15 am
dubya3(new) wrote:

Edit: does the coating add anything for corrosion? Blade HQ said in an article that sometimes the blade can rust from underneath? Not a significant concern with Magnacut but curious.
I’m sure it may help in some environments. Where I live the uncoated variant will be just fine and like the scales for better visibility . Glad Spyderco has offered two models to choose . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:56 pm
RugerNurse wrote:
dubya3(new) wrote:

I’m sure it may help in some environments. Where I live the uncoated variant will be just fine and like the scales for better visibility . Glad Spyderco has offered two models to choose . Dan
I ended up ordering a manix salt and keeping my S45VN I was thinking of selling. The manix has a solid lock and I’ll give it another go. I’m not the best at manipulating the ball lock but I’ll learn
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

RugerNurse wrote:
dubya3(new) wrote:

It would depend on if the coating is porous or not - if air and moisture can pass though it to the steel underneath. This could be an issue with lesser coatings but there is plenty of, at least anecdotal evidence, this is not the case with DLC, and that it does inhibit corrosion.
I see, said the blind man.
tzirconia

Post by tzirconia »

Hopsbreath wrote:
RugerNurse wrote:
Hopsbreath wrote:
Just as you said, mine is breaking in nicely with more use. I tightened up the pivot back to original position out of the box and now it is very smooth both opening and closing.👍
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

This is the thinnest blade stock knife I've ever seen.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

God'sMyJudge wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:31 pm
This is the thinnest blade stock knife I've ever seen.
Did you mean thickest? It is 3.7mm.
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

I was looking the liners and they seem a bit different than the standard PM2. Do you think aftermarket scales like flytanium will fit without modification on the magnacut PM2 just released? I saw the question posted early but there was not a clear answer.
Marko

Post by Marko »

I just added AWT scales with the liner delete on the non-lock side last week. I purchased one of the coated Magnacut PM2s. No issues fitting it to a third party scale. In fact, the only issue I had was removing the lanyard tube. It was extremely tight.

About the PM2 Salt, I hate coated blades, but couldn’t wait for the uncoated version (impatient). As a stock knife, it was one of the best PM2s I have gotten from Spyderco. Perfect centering, even grinds, great action, no adjustments required. The G10 scales were nice but a little rough for my purposes. They would definitely be good in a wet environment.

I’ve done aftermarket mods in the past for some previous PM2s and felt they never really added to the experience from the original, for the cost. Additionally, I don’t like aluminum as a handle material. It doesn’t wear well over time compared with G-10 or Micarta.

Well, times are changing and so am I. My PM2 Salt sports a black coated blade, aluminum scales, and a milled pocket clip. This thing is smooth, centered, tight and most importantly (too me) very light (lighter than stock). It’s a keeper for sure. Patiently waiting to do the same with PM3 Magnacut.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

RugerNurse wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 am
Hopsbreath wrote:
RugerNurse wrote:
Hopsbreath wrote:
while the coating doesnt "help" the action its also doesnt prevent it from being drop shut smooth, If you prefer the black blade but are worried about the action then dont, I have a bunch of coated spyderco and 3 DLC coated PM2's and all are smooth and drop shut.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I’m usually not a fan of coated blades because I use my knives for food prep a lot but I might give this one a shot at some point. I like the black peel ply scales
James Y

Post by James Y »

GT99 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:46 am
RugerNurse wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 am
Hopsbreath wrote:
RugerNurse wrote:

while the coating doesnt "help" the action its also doesnt prevent it from being drop shut smooth, If you prefer the black blade but are worried about the action then dont, I have a bunch of coated spyderco and 3 DLC coated PM2's and all are smooth and drop shut.

I agree. I own two PM2's and two Para 3's; one coated and one non-coated each. All came with good action. However, my coated PM2 and Para 3 both had "drop-shut" action out of the box; my non-coated versions did not. I think it has less to do with being coated or not, and more to do with how they were tuned at the factory.

Jim