Endela or Straight Spine Stretch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Poll ended at Fri May 20, 2022 10:52 pm

Endela
35%
Stretch
65%

Total votes: 49

sethwm

Post by sethwm »

About a year ago I saw Sal say the straight spine stretch and the endela were sorta in competition. Both models are similar and he wanted to see which was more popular.

Which do you prefer?
Tgmr05

Re: Endela or Straight Spine Stretch?

Post by Tgmr05 »

SS Stretch. It just feels better in my hand, and I prefer the blade cutting edge/shape over the Endela. Has a more hard use outdoor type feel/design.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tough choice, both really great folders, but for me it is the Endela.

- Endela is lighter ( almost as light as a Manix 2 LW (but stills offers steel liners))
- Endela is a slimmer carry
- Endela has probably an a bit sturdier tip (than the straight spine, not the "regular" Stretch), that is still pointy enough
- Endela has better ergos the way I hold folders predominantely (thumb not on the ramp, but rather on the flat/side of the blade. If I choose to put the finger ON the ramp the Stretch has better ergos though))
- Choking up on the Endela ricasso feels more stable and gives me more control than choking up on the Stretch choil (the latter is more comfortable, no doubt)
- Endela comes with the best serrations I personally ever tried and generally in more variants (wharnie, emerson, combo edge, pakka wood scales..)
- Endela has a hair more cutting edge by the specs on the Spyderco site, but I don´t know if this is noticeable in any way (still have an Endela, but no Stretch 2 anymore).

All in all I personally respectfully disagree with Tgmr05 and feel like actually the Endela has the "more hard use outdoor type feel/design" than the straight spine Stretch

What really speaks for the Stretch 2 is - and sorry for playing the "broken record" once more: The particular edge profile, with no curve at all in the long, first section of the edge before the belly. Cuts better and more powerful (more "wharnie-ish") for me than the more continuously curved edge of the Endela

And as always: If we´d be talking about the disco´ed Stretch 1: This would "win" over the Endela for me
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat May 07, 2022 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Stretch for me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I voted endela because... I love it. Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I have never owned a Stretch. I have only held it once. I have 2 Endelas. I prefer the Endela. Lighter and Slimmer. The bumps on the handle don't line up perfectly for me on the Endela, but it doesn't bother me that much. I don't typically prefer finger choils and the Endela feels great without one.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

If you like serrations, I'd pick the Endela SE in K390 (I think we are still waiting on this one ?)
And if you are going for PE, SS Stretch K390 for the straight spine, higher blade, I like the handle better too.

Best thing would certainly be to have both of them in hand ! The feeling is very different. As for the blades, both are excellent.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

BOTH ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein touched on the blade profile. The Endela has that upswept blade with not much flat. It is different from the Delica and Endura that way. I tend to agree and prefer a little flat with a slight belly at the end. One of the reasons I prefer the Endura. The Stretch has that flat section, but for me is a little too upswept at the tip. If you need to pierce and pull I feel a tip with just a slight belly is best.

I do miss the reinforced tip of the old Stretch. The Endela has that reinforcement and I typically prefer that too.

***Edit - To clarify, pierce then pull cut nothing does it better than a Wharncliffe, but you loose some general EDC capabilities in my opinion. So slight belly at the end is ideal in my book.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I like both for different reasons .I no longer have an Endela but will get another once a Wharnie in a different steel comes out , it’s a great knife . My preference leans towards the Stretch, how it feels in hand is more natural to me . The SS Stretch models have slowly grown on me , but still think the original blade was perfect and gave the knife an identity of its own . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

If it was me, I'd go for both. Oh wait, I already did go for both !

All of this talk makes me want to buy my first Delica... I'm still **** bent on waiting for the performance Delica though !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

If they made an Emerson Stretch I’d snap it up in a second. As it is, my main EDC is my Emerson Endela.
benben

Post by benben »

Don’t have a SS Stretch but I do have a Stretch 1 which I love. Between those two I still prefer my K390 Endela. Both have excellent handles, at least for me. As several have already said, get both, that way you’ll have a knife with a choil, and one without. You can be your own beta tester and report back!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For me the answer is always Stretch. I don’t think it will ever be as commercial as some other models but every variant of it makes me happy :) .
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have both but didn’t vote.

I love my Endela.

And, in its original blade-shape, I love my Stretch2. But in the straight-spine, not as much, even though I think my straight-spine Stretch2 is superb.

While a straight-spine minimizes weight in the most direct way, the Stretch’s graceful original blade-shape does that as well, if less directly, and by so doing offers a more robust tip.

I hope we don’t lose that aesthetic and harder-use option in a catalog where straight-spines are abundant and can even be found with mid-locks.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat May 07, 2022 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the SS Stretch! The handle is far more comfortable in all positions. The Endela would require me to mod the handle, though that is not a big issue. I love the blade shape and usefulness of the Stretch, too. It has a nice flat area for chopping or etc. and yet has a good curve going to the tip that is perfect for skinning and slicing. True, it is just a little heavier, but not a lot. It feels more sturdy in the hand. This is not to say the Endela is a bad knife. It is a great knife. I just like the Stretch a little better after trying them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Stretch because I'm a finger choil guy.

I honestly think that the knives fill the same niche for two different end users--'finger choil guy' and 'no choil buy'.

I think both belong in the line up.

The straight spine stretch in K390 is one of the finest back lock knives I've ever owned. For my hands (and uses) it's an ergonomic masterpiece. I prefer it to the Native 5, and that's saying quite a lot.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Stretch wins for my hand shape but I’ve enjoyed both they are really excellent designs.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Stretch. Waaay more comfortable in hand.
benben

Post by benben »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:43 am
Stretch because I'm a finger choil guy.

I honestly think that the knives fill the same niche for two different end users--'finger choil guy' and 'no choil buy'.

I think both belong in the line up.

The straight spine stretch in K390 is one of the finest back lock knives I've ever owned. For my hands (and uses) it's an ergonomic masterpiece. I prefer it to the Native 5, and that's saying quite a lot.
We’ll said, great post! As I said in my earlier post, I prefer my K390 Endela to my Stretch 1, but I think a K390 SSS just made it onto my “next purchase” list!