Corrosion Reports

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Corrosion Reports

Post by Deadboxhero »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:43 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:40 pm
I say let her ride.
I think K390 builds a beautiful patina.
I'm not 100% opposed to this. I guess my question is: will this turn into destructive corrosion, or is it just that - patina?
Carbon steel knives will always develop a patina with use, this is normal.

You should take it as a sign of "proof of use" that it is not being a safe queen.

You just have keep them dry to avoid reddish brown rust, they will naturally patina and stain with cutting. You only clean the reddish brown rust because it is more destructive just use Bar Keepers Friend; there is no elbow grease with that stuff.

Again carbon steel will stain this is normal, just like carbon steel cookware darkens with use over time and does not stay shiny.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:02 pm
kennethsime wrote:
JSumm wrote:
I say let her ride.
I'm not 100% opposed to this. I guess my question is: will this turn into destructive corrosion, or is it just that - patina?

You should take it as a sign of "proof of use" that it is not being a safe queen.

You just have keep them dry to avoid reddish brown rust, they will naturally patina and stain with cutting. You only clean the reddish brown rust because it is more destructive just use Bar Keepers Friend; there is no elbow grease with that stuff.

Again carbon steel will stain this is normal, just like carbon steel cookware darkens with use over time and does not stay shiny.
It's a bit worrying having a k390 knife in a pocket that may get sweaty. I try to leave a layer of oil on my k390 dragonfly, but I don't know how effective it will be if I forget to clean the knife off for a few hours.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

vandelay wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:03 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:02 pm
kennethsime wrote:
JSumm wrote:
I say let her ride.

It's a bit worrying having a k390 knife in a pocket that may get sweaty. I try to leave a layer of oil on my k390 dragonfly, but I don't know how effective it will be if I forget to clean the knife off for a few hours.
Don't overthink it
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Don't Fear the Patina

In this picture there is rust and there is also patina can folks tell the difference?

The reddish brown orange rust comes off without scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend which is a household cleaner found in the grocery stores in the cleaning aisle next to the comet cleaner.

Patina will remain*
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Brand new carbon steel pan

Well it's carbon steel it's not going to stay looking like that it will darken with patina/seasoning over time just like a carbon steel knife (don't season your carbon steel knife)

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:38 pm
(don't season your carbon steel knife)
I saw a youtube comment once where a guy was saying he seasoned his knives. I always wondered how that would affect the steel's heat treatment.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

vandelay wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:40 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:38 pm
(don't season your carbon steel knife)
I saw a youtube comment once where a guy was saying he seasoned his knives. I always wondered how that would affect the steel's heat treatment.
Yeah I gave a carbon steel knife to a non-knife person (family friend) as a gift and gave them care instructions, even proceeds to tell me that he is going to just season the knife.

NOOOoooooooo.

I had to explain to him that was a big No-No.

When you are seasoning a pan you are taking fat oils (preferably flax because it is one of the stronger coatings) and burning them on (until the cookware stops smoking) to the pan so that they make a hard "polymerized" like surface which will eventually wear out and need to be reapplied but the idea is to try to give it an almost "non-stick type coating" of course it will happen naturally with cooking lots since you will fry foods with fats or fat containing foods and the carbon steel will darken with patina naturally over time no matter what there's no scrubbing it back to clean you would have to grind It off.

You don't want to burn fats to make a temporary "polymerized" coating on the side of your knife for obvious reasons
1. It iss not necessary
2. most importantly you do not want to affect the temper on a high performance knife.
3. Patina does not come from polymerizing burnt fat coatings on steel, the patina comes from natural reactions with the steel and the environment.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
vivi

Post by vivi »

patinas look awesome. got some nice ones going on my work knives. even if a blade does get some orange red specks, a quick scrub and its good to go again.

This one has been slicing up octopus and tomatoes tonight.

White #1.
:unicorn
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Here is one of the most important tools for corrosion.

BAR KEEPERS FRIEND.

Rust cleaned in mere moments with no scrubbing as you can see in the demonstration video.

Simply wet, apply, rub clean and dry.

Friends don't let friends use steel wool and Flitz, because they are not as effective and change the surface finish on the knife.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
vivi

Post by vivi »

I keep some at home and at work. It's amazing for cleaning ceramic sharpening stones too.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it works wonders on stainless pans too.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Vivi, Ladybug93

Excellent sounds like I'm preaching to the choir here.

I still get surprised every once in awhile when I realize people don't know about this stuff.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:11 pm
patinas look awesome. got some nice ones going on my work knives. even if a blade does get some orange red specks, a quick scrub and its good to go again.

This one has been slicing up octopus and tomatoes tonight.

White #1.
Nice blade, you got to love the classics, white steel with a kurouchi finish 👌
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

BKF is fantastic for anything stainless in the kitchen and ceramic stones/rods. It’s the solution for those salt spots you get on the bottom of your stainless pots from boiling… anything. Works on enameled cast iron too.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:10 pm
Patina will remain*
Thanks, I did not know that...

I'm not familiar with Bar Keepers Friend, but will give it a try. 👍
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Gidday Hans. I see you are from the land down under. BCF is stocked at Coles. Near the Ajax powder (which is pretty much the same thing. At least by my use).
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:44 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Patina will remain*

Well, I should articulate this better.

The patina is not a surface coating it is a reaction that is etched into the metal itself. So, while you can have an effect on clearing away some of the discoloration on a shallow patina if you have a deeper patina it will not remove the texture created from the etching of that patina.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:35 pm
Brock O Lee wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:44 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Patina will remain*

Well, I should articulate this better.

The patina is not a surface coating it is a reaction that is etched into the metal itself. So, while you can have an effect on clearing away some of the discoloration on a shallow patina if you have a deeper patina it will not remove the texture created from the etching of that patina.
Ah ok, I get it. 👍 Thanks for clarifying.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
vivi

Post by vivi »

patinas can also tell a story. you can easily tell which part of this clad aogami super gyuto I use the most.

vivi

Post by vivi »

here's the same petty I just posted after a quick scrub.

squirted a quarter size drop of liquid bar keepers friend on a wet rag and scrubbed the blade for 20 seconds. hard to see a lot of patina in this lighting but its still there, while all traces of rust are history: