"Talkin' Story" with Mr. Sal Glesser

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thiscocks

Re: "Talkin' Story" with Mr. Sal Glesser

Post by thiscocks »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:27 pm
Transported from the "Edge Matters" forum in the UK circa Oct 2022;

Talkin' Story: When I first joined UK forums "back-in-the-day", (20+ years ago) it was a bit of an adventure. Gail and I always enjoyed coming to the UK. The people, while a bit daft, were always enjoyable to spend time with. We spent time in London, went to plays, checked out surrounding areas, visited our distributor up north, spent sometime in Sheffield, bought a CATRA machine, etc. It was while we were in Sheffield that I had he notion to eventually try to build Spyderco knives in Sheffield. One of my major faults, (besides being OCD) is that I try to do too many things. I do get most of it done, but peripheral damage often has to be dealt with. Good thing I have a patient wife and great staff.

When I learned of the changes in the knife laws to 3" and non locking, I was inspired to try to serve that market. Working with forumites, on another forum, together we designed the UK Pen Knife. Some of you might remember? My staff thought I was nuts to try to build a one hand open non locking folder for an odd market across the pond. But being OCD and being sure I was right, we actually went into production on the UKPK. Sales were not great, but Persistence is King.

Now, decades later, we actually have a fair amount of "Slipit" models selling all over the world, and we owe it all to you. Because of that relationship, developed over time, I think some type of special model or project would be fun to create. We're having some capacity issues right now, but we're also expanding the Golden factory and by next year, we'll be in a better position to bring the project to fruition. So now is the time to figure out what that will be? A special handle material, a piece project that Lucky mentioned, engraving, steels, or some odd variation of the UK?

So let's begin the discussion. Maybe another thread? A special knife for the Brits, limited production, So what do we want?

sal
I really like the Uk pen knife with combo edge drop point blade. The current plastic handle is really good but could possibly be done with the fish scale FRN handle and some grey / black variation colours? (I'n not a fan of bright colours :smlling-eyes ) That would be really cool. And it would match my old Caly jr!
:bug-white-red