Mini-Spydercos - Perfect Application

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NASA50

Mini-Spydercos - Perfect Application

Post by NASA50 »

One of my friends asked me why I bought a Dragonfly and Manbug ... becuase they are so little, what do I do with them ?

Well, I found the perfect application for the mini-Spydercos - to ride in the seatbag on my Mountain and Urban Bicycles. My bike seatbag is small and already nearly full of other items ... but I wanted to be sure that I have a Spyderco on me at all times ... So I found the Mini-Spydercos to be a prefect fit (for me) in the limited space of my bike bags.

Does anyone else have an ideal application for the mini-Spydercos ?

NASA 50
JRinFL

Re: Mini-Spydercos - Perfect Application

Post by JRinFL »

I frequently use my little Spydercos as my “friendly” knife when I’m around people who might be unused to seeing normal sized knives being used.

The Dragonfly is also an all around good user knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Hi NASA50, I use them a lot.
At my work, I often have to cut various shapes full of curves on printing paper, or even just cutting A4 paper in half to make some A5, on like 20 layers.
The Ladybug and Dragonfly are the best tools I've found for that.
A scalpel could be good too but the blades often break and I can't allow any sharp object to go missed in all the furnitures that is in the room. We also have a "guillotine paper cutter" (seems to be the traduction of massicot), but it has been poorly constructed and even sharpening and tinkering can't help it.

This is actual use and has become really a must have for me.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I have been carrying a Wharncliffe K390 Dragonfly in my back pocket of late. It primarily serves as a very unitimitading knife if need be, and also is a great knife for opening packages because of the tip placement on a Wharncliffe. BTW, I’ve been so pleased with the K390 that I have a Stretch 2 on the way as well.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I always have a manbug/ladybug on my keys.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the bike bag is a great idea!

i keep a ladybug hawkbill salt in my wallet. not only is it an excellent cutting tool that punches WAY above its weight, but it's also a great backup that also provides utility not duplicated by my normal edc, due to the different blade shape. also, the ladybug hawkbill has a blade that's almost as big as the dragonfly in a much smaller package.

ImageImage
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I've owned a Ladybug and a Dragonfly for 6 months or so, and haven't actually cut anything with either one. I carry the Dragonfly when at the gym, because it's so light and unobtrusive, but I haven't had a need to use it. I honestly can't think of a use for the Ladybug at all, since 1) I live in a state where nobody thinks twice when they see someone using a knife of any size, and 2) I have larger knives that are more useful to me lying all around the house, in the garage, in my car, or in my pocket. I shouldn't have bought it, simple as that.

I think your idea of carrying a small knife in your bike bag is excellent, though, and I may stash the Ladybug there, even though I usually carry a larger knife in my pocket while cycling. It's almost a sure thing that the day I need a knife while on a bike ride is the day I forget to put one in my pocket.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:21 pm
the bike bag is a great idea!

i keep a ladybug hawkbill salt in my wallet. not only is it an excellent cutting tool that punches WAY above its weight, but it's also a great backup that also provides utility not duplicated by my normal edc, due to the different blade shape. also, the ladybug hawkbill has a blade that's almost as big as the dragonfly in a much smaller package.

ImageImage
Those are some compelling photos. I never knew. Still probably not for me, but man...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I keep a ladybug on my keychain and it comes in handy often.

I also keep a Manbug Salt in one of my tackle boxes and it has served perfectly in that role. Fits into the tackle box compartments like it was meant to be.

- Nick :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:36 pm
Those are some compelling photos. I never knew. Still probably not for me, but man...
obviously, the trade-off is in grip area, with the dragonfly clearly winning. however, since it's so small, i never carry it. no need to when i already carry a larger knife and the ladybug. the bike bag or a tool/first aid pouch in a backpack are great places to stick it as a backup though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sal

Post by sal »

I usually have a Manbug in my pocket for all of the reasons mentioned. That's in addition to a larger blade.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:58 pm
in addition to
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I've found that I can do it all with my Dragonfly. While I love the feel of it clipless, I leave the clip on and it rides in my waistband daily whether I'm at work, or out running or whatever. I don't notice it there when I'm on my mountain bike either. Tried to add a bigger knife but found I didn't really need it and the smaller ones are cool as well but I prefer carrying clipped. So everything else has gone except the Dragonfly.
ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Working IT a hawkbill Ladybug or hawkbill Dragonfly is a must have item for freeing bundled cables from Zip Ties under desks and in tight spaces. Lets you slip inbetween the cables under the tie and pull cut it away from the cables so you don't cut the cables. Also great for the thousands of boxes I have to open.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Usually have a Ladybug on my keys for the times when I might forget to carry my main folder, or in the random situation where pulling out a full size knife isn't a great idea. I find that I rarely use it because my keys are either hanging off my hip/tucked into my pocket or in my car's ignition, so pulling out my main knife is always more convenient.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
olywa

Post by olywa »

I usually have a Manbug Wharnie or a Ladybug Hawkbill in my 5th pocket. They excel at controlled depth cutting where you don't want to damage a packages contents. Blister packs, tape seams on cardboard boxes, etc.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:02 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:58 pm
in addition to
and not excluding

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

My perfect application is general EDC, I.e. most of my knife use and carry.
I typically carry a DF clipless in my 5th, and that’s actually my main blade :)
I carry the k390 wharnie if I actually expect to need a knife during my work day, otherwise I carry the KC pakkawood as it’s just so nice and arguably even more people friendly.
When wearing cargo shorts, swim shorts or similar, I opt for light weight and waterproof. Currently that means SE DF2 salt or a SE manbug salt, but a HB ladybug salt is joining the team as soon as I can get hold of one.

I get the impression I’m kind of backwards in that the small blade is my main blade, but it’s a familiar feeling that I run into in many areas of my life :)

Where others seem to prefer to stash their small knives, I find that the small knives solves 90% of my cutting needs and being that I like to keep my pockets light and without to much bulk, it makes sense for me to carry small in pocket and stash the bigger knives.

It might go without saying, but since people “like” to misunderstand, the above does obviously not apply for applications associated with frequent knife use. For outdoor activities, home renovations and all of that, I generally carry something a bit bigger.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I always carry a Manbug or Ladybug, and sometimes it might be the only knife I have with me. If I am carrying another knife I still carry one of these. I also keep a Ladybug Salt (hawk) in my pajamas in case I have to go to the hospital late at night. I've had to do this and was grateful I had a Spyderco with me. It was a Dragonfly at the time, but the MB and LB make more sense in that role. When I go walking I carry an M2 LW or an Endura in my pocket, but in the other is a Ladybug Salt. Perfect.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

Ladybug is always a great back-up blade at 0.6 oz. I don’t do survival (Altoids) tins but many that do appreciate that a Ladybug will fit in such a small space.