Sal, anything you´d like to share on the Golden made BACKLOCK Polestar? (Another "handle forward" knife?)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Sal, anything you´d like to share on the Golden made BACKLOCK Polestar? (Another "handle forward" knife?)

Post by cabfrank »

Good luck getting it finished asap. I'm sure that will be a weight off your shoulders.
JSumm

Re: Sal, anything you´d like to share on the Golden made BACKLOCK Polestar? (Another "handle forward" knife?)

Post by JSumm »

Thanks for replying Sal! All good news if it is not forgotten. No one should sleep on this design.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

The different gaurd radii make no difference to me, but I am super into a handle-forward backlock from Golden!
I hope the expansion is successful!

The BD1N knives from Taiwan have been looking really attractive to me lately and seem like great values. I definitely intend to try some out in the meantime.

Edit: I know this is maybe a tall ask, but speaking of radiuses, I think a handle forward design is a prime candidate for some more significant handle contouring.
With G10, something akin to the Shaman (maybe not as much as the Shaman, but similar).
With FRN, I’ve seen a lot of requests for more contoured Golden FRN. Maybe something like the Seki chamfers?
Honestly, while I do appreciate the more rounded edges of the Japan FRN knives, it is not so significant to me personally.

However, I do think it would be interesting and more noticeable to try incorporating some actual swells and proper form into FRN knives again.
I think some previous Natives were more contoured?
I was just thinking this because the handle-forward designs offer a large canvas for those kinds of contours. Looking at the Enuff handles, they are similar to the RockJumper’s and have some nice contours and swells, but still manage to be very slim and not too bulky.

If Spyderco could pull that off on a Golden made FRN pocket knife, I think it would be well received, at least by me it would.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

I like Sal's vision for the Polestar. And while I don't have a Scout to equip, a made-in-Golden (i.e. outside China) Polestar sounds like a great move.

(Surely opinions differ, but over the last few years I have become ethically uncomfortable with the idea of buying "optional" goods that are manufactured in China. For *me* the issue is similar to the SA apartheid question from years gone by; no judgement intended. YMMV.)
J199P

Post by J199P »

This would be an instant buy this is the size I hoped the leafjumper would be. Golden made handle forward backlock sprinkle a little magnacut? Take my money! Solid G10 with stainless backspacer or FRN?

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Nah. Contoured handles make for thicker, lumpier, bulkier pocket riders. I like thin flat scales if it's going to see significant pocket time. Contoured scales are for fixed blades or folders with sheaths, IMO.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Speaking of guards, I think the Lil' Temperance 3 LW has an excellent guard. I haven't held a Polestar, so I can't say which is better. However, I think the Polestar would have some tough competition in the Lil' Temp.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Similar in that they have a neutral grip, but I think they are very different models. The Lil' Temperance is short and stout. The Polestar has a thinner blade with an edge just longer than a PM2. If made out of Golden, I think the Polestar may give the Manix some competition for those that may not want a choil.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:13 am
Nah. Contoured handles make for thicker, lumpier, bulkier pocket riders. I like thin flat scales if it's going to see significant pocket time. Contoured scales are for fixed blades or folders with sheaths, IMO.
Yeah, I would only be interested if it was still more slim and light weight than contoured. I think this is possible with FRN, though (maybe especially with linerless FRN ?).
I just think it's something to look into, not necessarily with this knife, but I think it would work best with a handle-forward design.
To get an idea of where my priorities lie in a pocket knife handle, light weight and a secure clip to the pocket are most important, followed by ergonomics in use, and closely after is the bulkiness/restriction of movement/visibility. For me, the latter two are a delicate balance, but I am willing to compromise or prioritize either one on different knives. Things like my RockJumper already exist and are slim and flat, so it makes sense for me to think about slightly more contouring in another knife.

The folowing is just me expanding my thoughts and not exactly meant to be a reply to Bolster
(Except at the very end)

For example, the LT3LW's handle is apparently 13.5 millimeters in width, or only about 2.5mm thicker than the 11mm RockJumper (and many other 11mm Spydercos). It is a ''flat" FRN still, but reviews note that it is noticeably more comfortable. It's a reason I want to try one when I get the chance.
Now, in regards to contouring, my Aqua Salt is ~18mm at both the palm swell and flares on each end, thickened from about 15mm at the thinnest points between the swells. An only ~3mm variation that is of minor note to the eye, but the Aqua Salt's handle contours are very complex and noticeable in use. There is even a channel in the middle of the palm swell where the Spyderco logo is (I think analogous to the concave landing pad for the pocket clip and manipulation of the LT3LW) which is maybe 1.5mm deep.
The Aqua Salt is pretty slim for a fixed blade, and the handle height is actually shorter than the RockJumper, but 15-18mm is noticeable in the pocket.

However, what I am getting at is that it is possible to put a lot of complex forms into a handle with only 3mm of FRN.
On a pocket knife, I think a variation of ~11-14mm is all that would be needed to make a contoured handle with a noticeable ergonomic difference, while remaining quite slim. A 1.5mm concave depression in the handle swell for the pocket clip would make a great point of manipulation and also keep the the pocket clip from sticking out from the swell too much. Any flares on each end could be kept minimal and maybe even a little less pronounced than the palm swell, because I think the guard and hook is about enough for hand retention.

Anyway, those are my ideas for trying proper contouring on an FRN knife. The RockJumper is already very comfortable, though, and I do actually like the flat handles a lot. This is very much a "want to try this" rather than "need to change this" and not a criticism of the flat FRN.
----------

Bolster, I am curious what you think of the smaller or wider style radiuses on different FRN Spydercos. I've seen a lot of talk about differing preferences, but it does not matter much to me. I think the proper form contouring is what would actually make a difference, hence my focus on it. I only mention the former because it may be something to consider for some.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I'm just excited that the Polestar still has a chance to move to Golden.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:35 pm

+ 1.... and will get a backlock! (Though the linerlock would be almost as good for me too. Even better, in a few regards, though overall I hope for a backlock).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

JSumm wrote:
Yeah, for sure!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:35 am
Speaking of guards, I think the Lil' Temperance 3 LW has an excellent guard. I haven't held a Polestar, so I can't say which is better. However, I think the Polestar would have some tough competition in the Lil' Temp.

It really is a great handle. I don't know if I'd want that much hook at the pinky but if it fit my hand I'd love it. I agree that front guard is great though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:23 pm
It really is a great handle. I don't know if I'd want that much hook at the pinky but if it fit my hand I'd love it. I agree that front guard is great though.

I was mostly speaking of the front guard. If there is going to be a redesign on a handle-forward design, I say steal from the Lil Temp. But as a previous commenter mentioned, don't steal the thick handle. It is great in the hand; less so in the pocket.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:50 pm
JSumm wrote:

+ 1.... and will get a backlock! (Though the linerlock would be almost as good for me too. Even better, in a few regards, though overall I hope for a backlock).
Let me start off by saying you know I love a good backlock. However, (here it comes) I think they should do it in a Compression Lock. (Now breath) I am concerned a backlock would require it get a little more ricasso and look closer to the RJ & LJ. If a CL, they could bring the edge back to the handle more easily like the Caribbean.

Personally, I would love if they kept the linerlock just did it up like the Military. I know this is not as popular, so I would rather get a CL and it succeed than a Linerlock and fail.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:49 pm
However, (here it comes) I think they should do it in a Compression Lock...

I think that could work. I'm looking at my PM2. There is a semi-circular cutout just past the finger choil. This is what contacts the stop pin in the closed position. When open, the cutout lines up pretty much perfectly with the end of the scale.

The one question I have is, will there be enough "protection" form your finger touching the edge when the knife is closed? On a PM2, the nub from the choil blocks your finger (mostly). I know the odds of your finger getting cut in the closed position are probably very (very) small. How is this addressed on the Caribbean?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:49 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:50 pm
JSumm wrote:

Let me start off by saying you know I love a good backlock. However, (here it comes) I think they should do it in a Compression Lock. (Now breath) I am concerned a backlock would require it get a little more ricasso and look closer to the RJ & LJ. If a CL, they could bring the edge back to the handle more easily like the Caribbean.

Personally, I would love if they kept the linerlock just did it up like the Military. I know this is not as popular, so I would rather get a CL and it succeed than a Linerlock and fail.

I fully understand.

A backlock would, as you say, probably require more of an ricasso resp. would offer less edge length (if the ricasso would be completely hidden inside the scales - so "total handle forward" - it still would effectively not offer more actual cutting edge of course).
This could be a bit remedied tough if the blade would be made as long as possible (completely handle filling) - is this the case already with the Polestar?

Also, potentially with a backlock the blade cannot be made as tall as with a comp.lock or linerlock, but I don´t think that this would be an issue with the Polestar?

But, like you, I´d personally really wish for a linerlock instead of "just another Golden comp.lock knife"
Sadly though you´re most likely right that the knife would sell better with a comp.lock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Hey Gernot, if this helps. Not sure they could move it much without adjusting the lanyard tube or just losing it.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

Boy Scouts, at least when I was involved, were about God and country. China has an authoritarian one-party system, and not only discourages believe in God, but puts Christians in prison just for being Christians. Kind of incomparable. :usflag
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

So let's get it to Golden Woohoo! Who's with me? Alright. Okie dokey, just me.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005