Sal, anything you´d like to share on the Golden made BACKLOCK Polestar? (Another "handle forward" knife?)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Sal, anything you´d like to share on the Golden made BACKLOCK Polestar? (Another "handle forward" knife?)

Post by JSumm »

My momma told me to keep hope alive. I hope there are plans to keep this thought alive. Handle forward Polestar like model out of Golden when the expansion is up and running. Slightly different than what currently comes out of Golden.

I know a backlock was discussed, but even if it came with a CL to please the masses, I have no doubt it would be a success.

Sal, is this still on the table?
Last edited by JSumm on Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Re: Sal, anything you´d like to share on the Golden made BACKLOCK Polestar? (Another "handle forward" knife?)

Post by Bolster »

I have admired JSumm's red-handled Polestar on many occasions (at least I think that's what it is?). And just as Sal guessed, two things that keep me from purchasing one are (1) China mfg and (2) linerlock. (Color is not an issue with me--grey is nice.) Minus these two barriers, I'd love to own one or three. I like the design.

PS: Could we have another look at that red-handled Polestar?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I wonder if a backlock version would loose the liners?
In that case I'd give a handle forward Alcyone a try, whatever steel and country of origin. I know this thread is about the Polestar specifically, but this is just me hoping the two brothers will share such a potential evolution.
And FWIW, I almost bought the OG Polestar FOR its G10 scales. It was something different while still subdued and not out of place in a jeans pocket. I guess I was in the minority again :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:19 pm
My momma told me to keep hope alive....
Lately I almost get used to waking up and an old thread I started once is resurrected... nice... :grin-sweat (Jeff did so at 02:19 a.m. where I live)

/ Still in for this myself! The longer cutting edge it would get, the more so ;)

Imagine it would be not too far from a Golden G10 Leaf Jumper - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:22 pm
Ask and you shall receive. I call it kinda maroon.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:24 am
Bolster wrote:
Ask and you shall receive....

Beautiful !
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:26 am
/ Still in for this myself! The longer cutting edge it would get, the more so ;)
Don't give up hope.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You like it better than the one on the left, right? :winking-tongue :zipper
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:46 am
You like it better than the one on the left, right? :winking-tongue :zipper
Make the one on the right out of Golden and it wouldn't be close.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really liked the design, it just got passed up for other models. Sometimes Spyderco are their own biggest sales competition.

I'll say this much, going forward I will be paying extremely close attention to any and all handle-forward designs, they're my preferred knife design. The Rock/Leaf Jumper are all but perfect, with my only (nitpicking) wish would be to push the edge even closer to the handle and eliminate any and all snag point potential with that wee bit of ricasso that still sticks out, because it will still dig into some material if you cut deep enough. Either that or if it's possible just reshape that spot of the "kick" so that it's a ramp/slope that blends into the handle so materials slides off and into the edge instead of being a sharp square notch.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think I would agree David. I will say, after using my Rock Jumper the other day, there is just too much ramp to the thumb ramp. With similar handle shapes, I prefer the Polestar with its Manix, Sage, Carribbean style ramp.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Sorry, not sure how many you wanted.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

David I think you and Jeff have it right about the thumb ramp. I also think the fore and aft "points" are much too pronounced on the Rock/Leaf Jumper handle as compared to the Alcyone/Polestar which still feel better in my hand than the Jumper twins. Still excellent designs but would love to see a merging of the designs.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Somewhat off topic but this is the problem I have with large radius handle designs. The gently sloping, large radius designs have me gripping and re-gripping ad infinitum. My finger continually hunts for the "correct" position and can never find it. I like a forward handle with a small radius where the index "locks" into place. The Manix is a great example of an "index finger locker" knife (held hand back, not using choil), and one of the reasons I like it so much.
Attachments
PXL-20220717-012950329.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Yeah, that makes sense Bolster. The Polestar feels more refined in hand. I am telling you it is a fantastic design. If sales still are not strong, you know it will hit the chopping block. I think a shot out of Golden would really put it to the test.

I know Sal mentioned a backlock version out of Golden, but I feel like if you put a compression lock on it, it would sell like crazy.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

There's got to be Chinese high speed steels and tool steels, right? I'll gladly take that if available!
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

From all the pictures I've seen ITT... sign me up for a backlock Polestar, even better if it got Chinese VG10 on the cheap.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jeff,

On hold until the expansion is finished. That's a really nice looking Polestar.

We'll work up a design for the Alcyone with a handle forward lock-back.

Bolster, I'l work on that forward hook.

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

sal, not necessarily for this knife in particular, but when is the expansion scheduled to be finished? Of course it will probably take longer than expected. These things seem to be that way.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cabfrank

It's already taking longer than planned. Hope for mid this year.

sal