Sal, anything you´d like to share on the Golden made BACKLOCK Polestar? (Another "handle forward" knife?)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Sal, anything you´d like to share on the Golden made BACKLOCK Polestar? (Another "handle forward" knife?)

Post by sal »

Thanx All,

I appreciate the comments.

sal
Bolster

Re: Sal, anything you´d like to share on the Golden made BACKLOCK Polestar? (Another "handle forward" knife?)

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:00 am
- But, that said: I also think is almost impossible to tell if a comp.lock model sells better actually because of the locktype..
It could also be that for example a PM2 has better sales than a Native Chief due to factors completely unrelated to the lock type, - potentially even despite the lock type (regardless which one).

A nerdy footnote to follow up on this comment, but yes, with statistics you can isolate one variable (such as lock type) from other variables (such as knife model, steel used, handle material, price, etc). This is known as 'partialing the variance.' A regression algorithm can tell you the effect of one variable as all other variables are held constant, provided you have a sufficiently large sample size. Pretty neat.

I've no idea if Spyderco is using advanced statistics to analyze their sales figures, but they certainly could, and it would inform them of which individual components are driving sales at a particular time.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wasn’t the Lil’ Native offered as a back lock, comp lock, and slipjoint?

I would think that Lil’ Native sales might give a good indication of the market’s preferences.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bolster,

Other than accounting figures, sales figures and our "seat of the pants" calls, we do not employ statistics with regards to model design.

Though I will bring up a very astute observation and comment made by Jeff, earlier, that slower Golden back-lock sales could have something to do with the "opening arc" of straight spine models with back-locks. I have always felt this was a good question.

One of the reasons that I wanted to make the Polestar in Golden with a mid back-lock, and a "hump" was
to change the "opening arc". I think that if we make the Polestar 2 family in Golden, with Compression Locks, I will design another model with a hump, handle forward, and a mid back-lock, to make in Golden. Something between 3.0" and 4.0" blade length.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:40 pm
Wasn’t the Lil’ Native offered as a back lock, comp lock, and slipjoint?

I would think that Lil’ Native sales might give a good indication of the market’s preferences.
Exception enthusiasts do the damndest things, like buy one of each!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:44 pm
....I think that if we make the Polestar 2 family in Golden, with Compression Locks, I will design another model with a hump, handle forward, and a mid back-lock, to make in Golden. Something between 3.0" and 4.0" blade length.

sal
That sounds great!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)