Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Post by Woodpuppy »

OMG how awesome would that handle be with a Dodo blade?!? I love the short blade paired with a longer handle.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:45 am
OMG how awesome would that handle be with a Dodo blade?!? I love the short blade paired with a longer handle.
:rofl
I made a post a long time ago about the Dodo and Yojimbo being cousins.

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Can’t wait guys! Dreams do come true!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:08 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:

You just invented the 🪀
max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:

Awesome! If these 2 had babies with dodo blades the size of a yojimbo, dare I say yojumbo, I'd be more than willing to adopt one or two.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
cjk

Post by cjk »

max808 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:06 am
cjk wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:09 pm
I played with the production sample at least a couple of times this past weekend.
Think lil native sized yojimbo 2 with a full flat grind and you’ve got it.

I like it. I’ll buy at least one. It’s my kind of knife.

The opening hole in the picture above looks huge. It didn’t seem that way to me in person.
I didn’t realize it would be full flat ground. I was surprised by that. I think it loses a bit of character by being ffg. IIRC, it’s quite a bit lighter than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised that it has a wire clip.
Thanks for sharing cjk, FFG sounds awesome. Do you remember what steel the prototype came in?
Pretty sure it was marked S30V.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

max808 wrote:

Thanks for sharing cjk, FFG sounds awesome. Do you remember what steel the prototype came in?
cjk wrote:
Yep, it was S30V.

This post is from page 3 -
Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:46 pm
- Nick :bug-red
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I asked Michael for the possiblity of a flat grind Yojimbo years ago, and here it is...
Smaller, yes...

But, an EDC to take note of! :cheap-sunglasses :smiling-heart-eyes
max808

Post by max808 »

max808 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:30 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:

Awesome! If these 2 had babies with dodo blades the size of a yojimbo, dare I say yojumbo, I'd be more than willing to adopt one or two.
I missed the cousin part, maybe distant cousins?
:cheap-sunglasses
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

cjk wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:26 pm
max808 wrote:
cjk wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:09 pm
I played with the production sample at least a couple of times this past weekend.
Think lil native sized yojimbo 2 with a full flat grind and you’ve got it.

I like it. I’ll buy at least one. It’s my kind of knife.

The opening hole in the picture above looks huge. It didn’t seem that way to me in person.
I didn’t realize it would be full flat ground. I was surprised by that. I think it loses a bit of character by being ffg. IIRC, it’s quite a bit lighter than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised that it has a wire clip.
Thank you for the confirmation, in your experience is this a common steel on prototypes for Spyderco? I heard somewhere that S30V was one of the steels developed and tested on the road to S90V. I also learned that the V stands for vanadium, which makes me feel smart.
:cheap-sunglasses
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:28 pm
I asked Michael for the possiblity of a flat grind Yojimbo years ago, and here it is...
Smaller, yes...

But, an EDC to take note of! :cheap-sunglasses :smiling-heart-eyes
This should solve the binding issues I've experienced using the Yo2 as a box cutter.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

On a previous page, Michael talked about how you can't just scale down a knife when making the smaller version. Since I live in the Boston area, a 2.5 inch knife sounds great. The one problem I have is that I prefer a full, four-finger grip on my smaller knives. I'm guessing the answer is "no", but can anybody comment on the handle size?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:13 am
On a previous page, Michael talked about how you can't just scale down a knife when making the smaller version. Since I live in the Boston area, a 2.5 inch knife sounds great. The one problem I have is that I prefer a full, four-finger grip on my smaller knives. I'm guessing the answer is "no", but can anybody comment on the handle size?
I completely agree about full grips on small blades. In your situation it may make real good sense to do a regrind on a knife you the handle of.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:01 pm
I completely agree about full grips on small blades. In your situation it may make real good sense to do a regrind on a knife you the handle of.

5X5 sells a reground Yojimbo. They do not have any in stock. Given the nature of Spyderco production schedules and the aftermarket work, it could be a while. I'm a patient man.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:08 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:01 pm

5X5 sells a reground Yojimbo. They do not have any in stock. Given the nature of Spyderco production schedules and the aftermarket work, it could be a while. I'm a patient man.
Are you a patient man with a belt sander?
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

p_atrick wrote:
Here's the link for the 2.5-inch bladed Yojimbos-- although they're out of stock, it could give you ideas for a legal knife with good ergonomics and cutting power.
https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... -yojimbo-2
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

It looks like the original Ronin. Now that I've seen the picture I'm interested, so long as the handle is long enough for a solid Filipino grip.

I'm especially interested if it's flat ground. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a thin hollow grind on some knives, but not on the Yojimbo 2, the tip is sooooo fragile. And yes, I have broken my Yo'2's tip off several times. It's 1/4" or so shorter than it was when new, but a few minutes on a belt sander and the profile is correct again.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

spydergoat wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:14 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Here's the link for the 2.5-inch bladed Yojimbos-- although they're out of stock, it could give you ideas for a legal knife with good ergonomics and cutting power.
https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... -yojimbo-2
I like this better than the micro proto, the proto loses the optical spirit of the design for me.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ferruginous,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

If you have used an Endura of any era, and then a Delica of any era, the difference of the handle sizes for most folks will not really be an issue...

I am guessing the same for this MicroJimbo...