Native Chief Lightweight Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ranger_Ike

Native Chief Lightweight Discussion

Post by Ranger_Ike »

My apologies if this thread exists and I just missed it in my searching. Have a few questions, although I’m not sure if answers are available yet.

Do we know if the lightweight version will have washers, or will it ride on the FRN like the native?

Also was wondering if it’s know if it will have liners or will be linerless? I guess this answer might answer the first question…
JSumm

Re: Native Chief Lightweight Discussion

Post by JSumm »

I believe it would be just like the Native 5. Linerless without washers. Eric confirms in this video that it will be linerless. Starts at 7:20.

https://youtu.be/f_FJE3rHd9w
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Also confirms BD1N. Of course, anything can change.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Count me in!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Oh wow, I’m way behind. Can’t believe I missed that. Thanks for the link!

Such a good looking knife, like the native 5. Can’t wait to feel this one in hand.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

This model is begging for a salt version. A magnacut salt version, just like the native 5.
James Y

Post by James Y »

If I’m not mistaken, it looks like that sample LWT Chief has a bead-blasted finish. Unfortunately, I don’t prefer bead-blasted finishes. I like the type of finish (I guess it’s called a satin finish) on my basic G10 S30V Chief.

Doesn’t bother me, though. I think I’m done buying any new knives for the time being.

Jim
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:18 pm
This model is begging for a salt version. A magnacut salt version, just like the native 5.
That was my first thought as well… how close it will already be to a salt version.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:21 pm
If I’m not mistaken, it looks like that sample LWT Chief has a bead-blasted finish. Unfortunately, I don’t prefer bead-blasted finishes. I like the type of finish (I guess it’s called a satin finish) on my basic G10 S30V Chief.

Doesn’t bother me, though. I think I’m done buying any new knives for the time being.

Jim
Agree about the bead blast finish, not crazy about it either. Hopefully its a satin finish. He did mention the steel in the video was not really bd1n, so maybe, if it was bead blast, the finish isn’t correct either.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I wish I had waited for the LW. Now I'll wait for the Salt. Maybe even the Salt SE... (nudge-nudge, wink-wink...)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:26 pm
I believe it would be just like the Native 5. Linerless without washers. Eric confirms in this video that it will be linerless. Starts at 7:20.

I just saw the video and I'm all in for the bead blasted finish.

I don't know much about BD1N, but lets give it a try along with K390. Sounds good to me!

I love Spyderco Native Chiefs. A really great knife design. And, as long as I have the ability to get one(make a ton of them) and I have the money, keep making them.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'll be skipping this if it's bead blasted, but buying it immediately if it isn't. Bead blasting obliterates corrosion resistance to the point I'd pass.

Either way hope we see a salt of this or the Stretch XL by this time next year!
:unicorn
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:14 pm
JSumm wrote:

I don't know much about BD1N, but lets give it a try along with K390. Sounds good to me!

I love Spyderco Native Chiefs. A really great knife design. And, as long as I have the ability to get one(make a ton of them) and I have the money, keep making them.
The blade in that video was a prototype. Eric even mentioned it had a star on it meaning it was not really BD1N, but probably S30V. Probably from a standard model just for the prototype. They just marked it BD1N for the prototype. He did confirm it would be coming with BD1N. I would not assume bead blasted.

BD1N is an improved BD1. The nitrogen allows for higher hardness similar to what adding carbon will do, but without reducing corrosion resistance. So you get a higher hardness BD1. It is very corrosion resistant. On the level of M390 and S110V based on Larrin's research at Knife Steel Nerds. I believe I recall some HRC test around 60HRC on Spyderco's BD1N, but not sure of that. Easy to sharpen to a really great edge. I think it is great for an entry level Native Chief LW. I tend to prefer edge stability and sharpenability to wear resistance. I think this steel will be a good fit.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I’m anxious to see how bd1n sharpens compared to vg10, don’t have any yet so I haven’t tried it myself. Seems like others really like it though. Also, seems to be a lower cost steel, so I’m hoping that helps keep the cost down on this model. A lot of good reasons to pick one up.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:55 am
Naperville wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:14 pm
JSumm wrote:

The blade in that video was a prototype. Eric even mentioned it had a star on it meaning it was not really BD1N, but probably S30V. Probably from a standard model just for the prototype. They just marked it BD1N for the prototype. He did confirm it would be coming with BD1N. I would not assume bead blasted.

BD1N is an improved BD1. The nitrogen allows for higher hardness similar to what adding carbon will do, but without reducing corrosion resistance. So you get a higher hardness BD1. It is very corrosion resistant. On the level of M390 and S110V based on Larrin's research at Knife Steel Nerds. I believe I recall some HRC test around 60HRC on Spyderco's BD1N, but not sure of that. Easy to sharpen to a really great edge. I think it is great for an entry level Native Chief LW. I tend to prefer edge stability and sharpenability to wear resistance. I think this steel will be a good fit.
OK, I'll start saving! :smlling-eyes
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Bd1n and frn should make this extremely affordable which is great. I hope it gets more people to try out this model.

The native 5 lw saves ~$60 over the g10 ($180 vs$120). If the chief ($185 vs ?) ends up cheaper still because of the bd1n vs the s30v in the native 5 lw, the chief frn could actually end up cheaper than the native 5 frn*. I would be surprised if that is the case, but who knows?

*Note that I have zero understanding or knowledge of Spyderco's production/design costs or retail pricing strategy and this is totally my supposition based on the current prices of a couple of similar models. I'm actually surprised the g10 models are priced so closely together.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:26 am
I’m anxious to see how bd1n sharpens compared to vg10, don’t have any yet so I haven’t tried it myself. Seems like others really like it though. Also, seems to be a lower cost steel, so I’m hoping that helps keep the cost down on this model. A lot of good reasons to pick one up.
I really like how BD1N sharpens. Nothing but good things to say about it based on using PE & SE Zcuts.
:unicorn
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I join vivi on BD1N's sharpening experience.
Almost as easy to give it a dangerous edge for me as LC200N.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I doubt the cost were ever the problem for this knife. To me its the size. PM2 sized it would have been perfect. It has perfect esthetic lines though. Really beautiful.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Legalities aside, the Chief is a large knife that carries like a much smaller knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001