Future for Centofante?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Future for Centofante?

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've long looked at picking up a Centofante III and I might get one if I get a little extra money (my knife budget is $0 nowdays). But I'm wondering, are there plans for the Centofante in the future? With Al Mar knives no longer what they were in the past, perhaps the Centofante could fill in that gap if it were dressed up a bit.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
yablanowitz

Re: Future for Centofante?

Post by yablanowitz »

With Frank gone as well, I doubt we'll see anything new from Spyderco with his name on it. I was surprised to see the Memory when it came out in his honor.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I can only imagine reissues of existing designs -- at most maybe with different materials. New designs using the name of a well respected and deceased knife maker would be tasteless and probably not be received well.

I struggle with this as well, because I love the Centofante 3, but would also very much like to see the pinned pivot get changed.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'd be in for a new run of the Centofante 4 wharnie.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Two of my all-time favorite designs were created by Mr. Centofante—specifically, the C50 II and the C66 Vesuvius. Both are pictured below (not my pictures). I would seriously LOVE to see either of these make their way back into production (with updated materials, of course).

Spyderco C50 II
The C50 II, in my opinion, is a near-perfect design. It is fairly simple, yet elegant. It’s slender G-10 frame is light and thin, yet it fills the hand very comfortably. I also love how the blade flows in line with the contours of the handle. (Incidentally, Spyderco also came out with the C25, which was a basically just a smaller version of the C50).

Spyderco C66 Vesuvius
The Vesuvius is essentially the same design as today’s Centofante III, but with a few distinct differences:

1. The Vesuvius was made in Golden, CO
2. It had a Compression Lock vs. mid back-lock
3. It had ATS-34 stainless steel vs. VG-10
4. It had screw-together construction vs. pinned

Several variations of the Vesuvius were made, including some with blue or brown paua shell inlays. I purchased my Vesuvius in 2002, because that was the year Spyderco chose this knife as their Forum Knife and I liked the color of the deep burgundy FRN scales. If I remember correctly, the Vesuvius was among the first to feature Spyderco’s Compression Lock.
Last edited by SpyderNut on Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

mikey177 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:56 pm
I'd be in for a new run of the Centofante 4 wharnie.
+1

The still current Centofante 3 is fantastic.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Vesuvius/Centofante 3 is still probably my all time favorite blade design. I'd be all in for sprints of either one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Love the centofante 3. I feel it's a bit overlooked, but classic design.

I know it's unlikely they make modifications to a model when the designer has passed on, but a screw construction variant would be great. Or even a sprint or exclusive in a different color/steel with the current pinned construction.
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

I'd love if Spyderco made Centofante II sprint run. Such a beautiful design.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I'd love a 3 (And 4?) in Super Blue with gray FRN scales. All the other Seki FRN models get sprints in different steels (Super Blue, Hap 40, V-Toku 2...), even discontinued ones like the Meerkat, but not it? That's just not fair.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

yowzer wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:07 pm
I'd love a 3 (And 4?) in Super Blue with gray FRN scales. All the other Seki FRN models get sprints in different steels (Super Blue, Hap 40, V-Toku 2...), even discontinued ones like the Meerkat, but not it? That's just not fair.

As is widely known, Frank Centofante was the designer behind this knife and collaborated with Spyderco for its release. Following his passing in 2009, I don't believe Spyderco feels they truly own the right to throw around the late Centofante design with further iterations, out of respect for the man himself.

Of course, I have the opportunity to be wrong, but knowing what I have gathered of sal as a man, it is out of respect, rather than business (monetary) to leave this model as it were while Frank was still alive. It should be respected that the knife in its current form is still available.

Just my take on the subject.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I assumed that there is some kind of design royalty being paid to Frank's wife/family, and by keeping the model in the lineup they're keeping the royalty payments going. I have absolutely no proof of this, but it sounds like something Sal and the gang would do. I don't know if I would consider sprints as profiting off of something that Centofante didn't approve of if it's of one of his designs, and if those sprints further helped to support his family then I would think he would be all for it.
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:31 pm
I assumed that there is some kind of design royalty being paid to Frank's wife/family, and by keeping the model in the lineup they're keeping the royalty payments going. I have absolutely no proof of this, but it sounds like something Sal and the gang would do. I don't know if I would consider sprints as profiting off of something that Centofante didn't approve of if it's of one of his designs, and if those sprints further helped to support his family then I would think he would be all for it.
That's what I was thinking and I don't think changing blade material or from pinned construction to see screw construction would be design alterations. Perhaps I'm wrong and it's one of those how much of a boat can you replace before it's a new boat type scenarios. I want the design and will likely buy it as it is eventually. Also just thought it is a good looking design with good history that may be renewed with some minor tweaks. It seems like it would fit in well with the ultralight, smaller, slicey blade trend currently.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

weeping minora wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:37 pm
yowzer wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:07 pm
As is widely known, Frank Centofante was the designer behind this knife and collaborated with Spyderco for its release. Following his passing in 2009, I don't believe Spyderco feels they truly own the right to throw around the late Centofante design with further iterations, out of respect for the man himself.
I don't think using a different steel and handle color is a significant change to a design for that to be an issue. It's not on the scale of, say, changing handle material to micarta or smooth G-10 or something.

(Didn't Spyderco do some different color runs of the Moran fixed knives after his passing? And Lum. And the recent Vielle Phoenix sprint. There's precedence.)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Agreed, there is a precedent for that. Spyderco also made the C59 Shabaria after the passing of its designer, Mr. Eduard Bradichansky. If I remember correctly, Spyderco sent the royalties to his widow.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

An ffg Centofante 3 is what I´d like to see (as an option, not replacing the current version!) if I had one wish free... 2mm ffg is just generally what I´d like to see more (I personally would not need the sharpening choil too).

But I understand that for one the sabre hollow grind works great in many tasks too and in some even better than ffg, and that this particular blade design is almost a defining feature of the Centofante - by looks and function - and so a change to ffg would almost result in a different knife. Not an option, since the designer is no longer among us.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'd definitely like a new Vesuvius, and I still kick myself for not getting any of the Centofantes when I saw them at disco prices.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Centofante XL with no sharpening notch is dream material for me. 3.75 inch edge all the way to the handle, I'll take a back lock or just about any lock. HIGH hollow grind, any decent steel and of course SE (lol). I absolutely love the blade shape on these knives, I'd just like one that's more along the size of a Caribbean.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:52 am
Centofante XL with no sharpening notch is dream material for me. 3.75 inch edge all the way to the handle, I'll take a back lock or just about any lock. HIGH hollow grind, any decent steel and of course SE (lol). I absolutely love the blade shape on these knives, I'd just like one that's more along the size of a Caribbean.

I agree on all points.
(EDIT: Well, except I´d definitely want them to stick with a backlock)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

I have a Centofante 3 - it is the best slicer I own and the most comfortable handle. I would definitely buy a sprint model with a different steel.