If you have not heard, there is a knife called the Caly 3.5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

If you have not heard, there is a knife called the Caly 3.5

Post by JSumm »

I know there are older threads about this model. I just think it deserves a fresh look and consideration for anyone sitting on the fence or who has never considered it.

So in my “What “New to You” models are you looking at for 2022?” the first model on my list was the Caly 3.5 CF. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91303 Been around awhile, but I have been eyeing it for some time.

Sal recently started a thread about the Caly 3.5 CF coming back in stock with new inventory. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91917 I think this is exciting news for a great model. A fellow forumite pointed me to a really good deal on this model (existing inventory) that I could not pass up. So, I received this model last week.

The Caly 3.5 finds it’s lineage in the Calypso. A wonderful design from the mid 90s. The carbon fiber on this model is extremely smooth. I typically do not prefer that, but the sharper edges on this design do help in the hand. Also, since it is a backlock, you have a good grip on the knife when closing.

On the backlock, I have been very attracted to the look with the steel backspacer. Just gorgeous to look at. Similar to the Chaparal CF Model in that regard.

Man is it compact. When opened, it is really hard to believe how much blade is packed into that smaller slim handle. I really like that in a design. The ergos are fantastic. I personally would not use a grip behind the choil. Just a little too short behind the choil to grip for my tastes. I think that is a good thing on this model. It allows that handle to stay very compact.

I hope we see this model in the lineup for a long time. Maybe in some new iterations or standard version. If ZDP goes away, maybe replace with Hap40 laminated with 420J2 steel. I like that look with the worn in scratched up blade on the softer steel. Maybe a new G10 Version. Definitely a lightweight version.

With the newer designs often taking the spotlight, I hope this one gets the attention it deserves. It is that good.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Re: If you have not heard, there is a knife called the Caly 3.5

Post by Evil D »

It's one of the best back locks in the catalog.

If the High Performance Delica idea does well, I would love to see a Caly 3.5 done the same way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am eagerly waiting on the upcoming (?) Caly 3.5 lightweight...

Though even featuring a finger choil it has a closed length just like a Delica, but cutting edge just like a PM2, backlock, slim profile... a lot to like here! :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:05 am
It's one of the best back locks in the catalog.

If the High Performance Delica idea does well, I would love to see a Caly 3.5 done the same way.
It would be a box destroyer and beauty to look at.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:06 am
I am eagerly waiting on the upcoming (?) Caly 3.5 lightweight...

Though even featuring a finger choil it has a closed length just like a Delica, but cutting edge just like a PM2, backlock, slim profile... a lot to like here! :smirk
It is hard to believe, but yes. Longer edge than the Manix. I wish I had a PM2 still to compare it. Maybe someone could post a comparison pic, but holding it closed in your palm it is amazing to see how much edge is unleashed.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The CF is give or take for me, but being one of the only knives left in zdp and that steel back spacer and lock bar is such a classy look

It's also compact for it's size blade

Classic
Last edited by GarageBoy on Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

This is one of those models/lines that has flown under my radar for some reason. I know it exists, but I've never really checked it out.

It looks a lot like a scaled up ukpk with a back lock, which sounds right up my alley. The 3.5 is a good middle ground sized knife (although I wouldn't complain about a full sized Calypso or a 3" junior). The only thing that makes me hesitant is that wire clip and carbon fiber combo. My only experience with that combination is the kapara, and it's still the only knife I've had jump out of my pocket (and it's done it several times).

If a lightweight version is in the works, I will most likely grab one. I've had no wire clip issues with frn. If they make a version like the high performance delica (thinner grind etc) I will absolutely buy one.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:56 am
This is one of those models/lines that has flown under my radar for some reason. I know it exists, but I've never really checked it out.

It looks a lot like a scaled up ukpk with a back lock, which sounds right up my alley. The 3.5 is a good middle ground sized knife (although I wouldn't complain about a full sized Calypso or a 3" junior). The only thing that makes me hesitant is that wire clip and carbon fiber combo. My only experience with that combination is the kapara, and it's still the only knife I've had jump out of my pocket (and it's done it several times).

If a lightweight version is in the works, I will most likely grab one. I've had no wire clip issues with frn. If they make a version like the high performance delica (thinner grind etc) I will absolutely buy one.
So I have the Kapara and although it is probably my favorite design, I do not pocket it often at all. Has become more of a collection piece. Which is a shame because it is absolutely amazing. The reason, it is slippery. Both when closing the blade and when in pocket. It definitely can slip out. This Caly is completely different. Scales are slick, but the backlock closing grip and the sharper edges help a whole lot when closing. Very confidence inspiring. The retention on the clip is really good. In fact, almost too good. If I am wearing anything other than jeans, it takes a strong grip to get it out of my pocket. I am wearing sweats today, and it wants to lift my pants before it comes out. It is not going anywhere.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:06 am
It is hard to believe, but yes. Longer edge than the Manix. I wish I had a PM2 still to compare it. Maybe someone could post a comparison pic, but holding it closed in your palm it is amazing to see how much edge is unleashed.
At least by the specs on the Spyderco page:
Cutting edge CF Caly 3 5 and PM2 (can't remember which variant I looked at): 78 mm.

Same goes for closed length CF Caly 3.5 and Delica: Both 108 mm.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I just have one question : how satisfying is that lock-up?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is one of the best designs ever. When the LW comes out I will get one for certain. The new batch of 3.5's is likely going to be too much for me to resist, depending on the price. The Caly3 is the knife that brought me back to Spyderco.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:04 am
I just have one question : how satisfying is that lock-up?
The lock up is very satisfying. There are no washers which I thought may be an issue. It is not. It is very smooth with a solid lock up. There is a very slight and I mean slight lock rock. I think you have to be looking for it to notice. The detent is a little lighter than my other backlocks. I do wish that was stronger. It is still a backlock, so it wants to stay closed for a large portion of the opening arc if that makes sense.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Thanks ! Full liners and a steel backspacer usually means good acoustics at the moment the lock engages :D.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:05 am
This is one of the best designs ever. When the LW comes out I will get one for certain. The new batch of 3.5's is likely going to be too much for me to resist, depending on the price. The Caly3 is the knife that brought me back to Spyderco.
I can see a lightweight getting a lot of pocket time. I think this might take over the Kapara as my favorite overall design. I still prefer the Endura as my do anything worker, but a lightweight Caly 3.5 would give it a run for its money.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Congrats Jeff , happy you like it . I always thought the Caly models did not get the recognition they deserved until they were gone . So simple , yet so beautiful, great knives . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:51 am
Congrats Jeff , happy you like it . I always thought the Caly models did not get the recognition they deserved until they were gone . So simple , yet so beautiful, great knives . MG2
It does seem to be a little bit of a sleeper. You do not hear too much about them. It is the top model that had me thinking of "New to You." A model that has been around for quite some time, but doesn't necessarily end up being talked about too much.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:56 am
It looks a lot like a scaled up ukpk with a back lock, which sounds right up my alley...
The Caly 3 is a locking version of the UKPK. The Caly 3.5 is just a longer version of the Caly 3
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bjz

Post by bjz »

If I hadn’t recently invested, heavily, in the kapara and Watu models, I’d be highly interested in the caly 3.5. That being said, I’ll be keeping an eye out for the lightweight model.

Right now, I have a UKPN on me, which has some obvious design elements from both the stretch and calypso models. I’d be a pretty happy camper if the caly 3.5 lw ends up something like the stretch xl (linerless frn) with a steel like vg10/bd1n/spy27
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Wow, this is the first time I’ve truly felt old on this forum. The black G10 version was the first larger Spyderco I bought in February 2013 (right after my first one ever, the G10 Manbug). It has permanently resided in my top 3 ever since and is the only one model to have held that position the entire time. It’s the most superior ergonomic design of Sal’s many in my opinion, and I’ve raved about it nearly the entire time I’ve been here, so I guess I’m surprised it’s “under the radar” and a “sleeper hit” for newer people here. It’s been in the catalog the entire time as one variant or another, and the Super Blue one is one of the most sought after sprints I’m aware of.

In terms of its lineage, it’s technically a locking UKPK (model C94) with the Caly 3 (C113) coming out first and then the Caly 3.5 (C144). Many folks believe it’s a direct-line descendant of the Calypso, which it is not (the UKPK is the intermediate). I’m honestly not much of a fan of the CF ZDP version since I find the smooth CF too slick on it. My EDC one is the SB which I was excited a couple of years ago to finally be able to put a Lynch clip on when Casey first released his wire clip model (and I had to reverse the clip screw and barrel bolt position so the barrel could grab the clip, you can’t screw the clip straight on). I hope the LW version lives up to the fame of its predecessors, but again I’m a bit baffled that this thread even needs to exist to point out how awesome this model is. It’s a PM2-sized blade in a Delica-sized handle, the description I’ve long used for it. The reason I like the Kapara so much (also in my top 3 these days) is that it emulates many of the best characteristics of the Caly 3.5 - a long blade in a surprisingly compact and very ergonomic handle. Cheers, (old man) Radioactive

P.S. No, I’m not a fan at all of patinas. I’ve cleaned the patina off my SB one probably a half-dozen times now. And it’s sharpened and used, since some of you seem to think I just post pics of brand new ones for IG on here.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:02 am
Wow, this is the first time I’ve truly felt old on this forum. The black G10 version was the first larger Spyderco I bought in February 2013 (right after my first one ever, the G10 Manbug). It has permanently resided in my top 3 ever since and is the only one model to have held that position the entire time. It’s the most superior ergonomic design of Sal’s many in my opinion, and I’ve raved about it nearly the entire time I’ve been here, so I guess I’m surprised it’s “under the radar” and a “sleeper hit” for newer people here. It’s been in the catalog the entire time as one variant or another, and the Super Blue one is one of the most sought after sprints I’m aware of.

In terms of its lineage, it’s technically a locking UKPK (model C94) with the Caly 3 (C113) coming out first and then the Caly 3.5 (C144). Many folks believe it’s a direct-line descendant of the Calypso, which it is not (the UKPK is the intermediate). I’m honestly not much of a fan of the CF ZDP version since I find the smooth CF too slick on it. My EDC one is the SB which I was excited a couple of years ago to finally be able to put a Lynch clip on when Casey first released his wire clip model (and I had to reverse the clip screw and barrel bolt position so the barrel could grab the clip, you can’t screw the clip straight on). I hope the LW version lives up to the fame of its predecessors, but again I’m a bit baffled that this thread even needs to exist to point out how awesome this model is. It’s a PM2-sized blade in a Delica-sized handle, the description I’ve long used for it. The reason I like the Kapara so much (also in my top 3 these days) is that it emulates many of the best characteristics of the Caly 3.5 - a long blade in a surprisingly compact and very ergonomic handle. Cheers, (old man) Radioactive

P.S. No, I’m not a fan at all of patinas. I’ve cleaned the patina off my SB one probably a half-dozen times now. And it’s sharpened and used, since some of you seem to think I just post pics of brand new ones for IG on here.
I didn't mean to offend. It's just old threads get lost in time. I have had my eye on it for some time and finally pulled the trigger thanks to a fellow member. I felt like this model needed a shameless plug. For someone like me who discovered Spyderco later in life, I get to rediscover a lot of these models like they are new. Maybe we talk about it again and others see it and get to enjoy it too. Maybe some that would not have considered it. Hopefully that is good for Spyderco and good for the model. I would hate to see it discontinued.

So again, I apologize for bringing something old up. Did not mean to waste anyone's time.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005