Favorite Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ovgcguy

Favorite Lock?

Post by ovgcguy »

Im not sure if this has been discussed to death, but it didnt come up in the first few pages of a search, so I'll ask -

What is your favorite lock and why?

For me its the back compression lock because it is the most flickable (my knives are fidget objects in addition to matter separators), it can be opened and closed with one hand, your fingers are never in front of the blade when closing, and will drop closed via gravity or with a quick twist of the wrist (if you want).

the PM3 is my favorite 'feel' when opening or closing. The back lock has a satisfying Snap to it, even more than a compression lock, but is less flickable opening and is not wrist-flick or gravity closable. I also love the PM3 because the hole is well exposed and the geometry of the blade gives the hole good leverage for a confident flick compared to some other models with a more hidden hole or a less ideal placement leverage-wise.

Anyways, I'm interested to hear other opinions on which lock is your favorite and why to broaden my perspective.
Cheers!
skeeg11

Re: Favorite Lock?

Post by skeeg11 »

Bolt action. More durable than the Axis. Less tension required than CBBL.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

CBBL. I like having good tension, I can still operate it one handed, it has a nice close bias, and it's ambidextrous.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Button compression lock for me followed by compression lock, frame lock and back lock. Compression lock depends on the model. While the Kapara is a great knife, I find the lock harder to engage while maintaining a one handed hold securely.
The CBBL on my M390 Manix 2 is sprung too tight and is my least favorite lock.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

From favorite to least....
CBBL, Backlock, Compression, Button Compression (Smock), Reeve Integral, Walker Liner, uncaged ball bearing.

Would like to try the lock on the Parata.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

Back lock. Especially the way it's been engineered on the Golden models. It's like a bank vault.

Second is the CBBL on my G10 Manix 2 (my only CBBL knife). Rock-solid, easy for me to unlock, and like the back lock, it has a strong closing bias.

Third is compression lock. The one thing I don't like is it all depends on a little detent ball that, if not careful, can possibly wear down enough to be unable to hold the blade closed. Personally, I do not care about fidget factor, 'flickability' or 'drop-shutty' action.

Jim
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think Im getting to the point where I like them all so long as they are well made.

A good, well made lock has never disappointed me in use
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Comp Lock. hands down.
"Some call me...Tim?"
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

For me, the backlock. I think the Taichung and Golden Backlocks are dialed in, but I mostly carry Seki's because they are larger. I like that they have a strong bias to stay closed. And if we are talking "fidgety" I actually prefer them because there is an extra step that the hand likes. I also like when closing one handed you do not have to pinch it. You have almost a full grip which to me feels more secure. And I am one who once proclaimed to myself that I would only use compression locks going forward.

Second, I like the Manix 2's CBBL. It is a great EDC knife and maybe one of the best all arounders in history IMHO. The CBBL is easy to open/close but still extremely secure. And it is just neat and revolutionary.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Backlock, liner lock, frame lock, compression lock, in that order. I want to try the phantom lock on the meerkats.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

This is my favorite by far!!

Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I really like backlocks but I have started to like the compression lock a lot since I realized I can close it like my backlocks, by pressing the lock over with my thumb and letting the blade (choil area) swing down onto my finger. This way I have a full grip on the knife. It also works to push the lock with my thumb and rotate the blade with my index finger, like I do a backlock. This makes the compression lock more enjoyable for me than it is with a pinch-to-close method.

But I don’t know which I like better between the backlock and compression lock.

Picking favorites is hard. I’m afraid if commitment.

Edit: Man, I ramble a lot.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

CBBL, for sure. It's what brought me to Spyderco, after previously falling in love with the Benchmade Axis Lock.

Second place is a mid-back lock.

My main criterion is that the knife can be opened and closed one-handed, specifically, the LEFT hand. And I kind of like a lock that is operable in BOTH hands. Usually the knife is in my left hand, but sometimes right.
Last edited by RustyIron on Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The back lock is my favorite. It has everything I want based on the current level of human technology and no downsides. It has a bias to close and is ver safe. Plus, it can be operated with one hand and closed without the fingers being in the path of the blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

easy. lockback.

has the best self close, making it the safest lock in terms of keeping a closed knife closed.

can be closed numerous ways one handed, including ways that keep my hand out of the way.

doesn't have issues with lock bars moving over time like a liner lock etc.

i find them safer to close one handed quickly because the lockbar keeps tension on the blade, keeping it from free swinging, unless you intentionally keep theblock release depressed. makes them more predictable imo.

never broke one using a knife in a regular manner. very trustworthy.

CBBL would be second for me. Smoother than a lockback but still has a nice self close. I find lockbacks easier to close one handed though.
:unicorn
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

My favorite is the backlock because it feels like the least likely to deploy accidentally when I'm engaged in physical activity. I grew up in a time when flicking folders was not yet a thing, so flickability has zero bearing on how much I like a lock.

I actually like the deliberate slow roll open of the backlock, as well as its snappy close.

My two least favorite are the uncaged BBL, because I find it difficult to disengage one-handed, and the Axis/ABLE lock, because I find it easy to shake the blade open.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Back lock. Nice and solid. Simple to operate without loosening your grip on the knife, and you can get your fingers out of the path of the blade.

Plus it discourages fidgeting which is actually a bonus.

It’s also one of the hardest to produce because of the required tolerances.
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

Backlock for me. I don't fidget with my knives. I like slow roll opening just like mikey777.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’ve always been partial to the Walker Liner Lock.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I would be fine if all my knives had back locks. I want to purposefully and deliberately control every movement of the blade throughout its entire arc, opening and closing, with no flesh in the way. I'm most comfortable doing this with a backlock. My second favorite is probably Spyderco's rendition of the slip joint.

That said, some of my favorite knives have Walker locks and Reeve integral locks. And I like the Caribbean so much that I'm even okay with compression locks, which are my least favorite of the ones I've tried.