High-End Spyderco Knife Line

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NASA50

High-End Spyderco Knife Line

Post by NASA50 »

Ok recently, as many of you may remember, I was pummeled by the Forum members for making the suggestion that Spyderco eliminate its lower end knives made in China (I learned to recant my initial inclusion of Taiwan) in order to preserve Spyderco's image as a top quality knife company (and differentiate themselves from all of the other knife offerings made in China). My suggestion was stick with high end offerings mainly from USA and Japan.

Well, since recovering from that post, and in an effort to broaden my mindset (as suggested by many) I ordered and received a Spy Opera - of course, made in Italy.

Upon my initial inspection - the first words out of my mouth were "what the ****" ? After seeing the beautiful radius edges on the blade, lock back and Spyder hole ... I wondered why all Spyderco's did not come with this extraordinary level of finish ?

Yes, I know ... becuase it costs more in labor ....

So now, after seeing the beautiful radius finish on the SpyOpera ... I revise my initial suggestion to (not only) drop the Chinese line of knives and instead, offer an optional higher-end line with the beautiful radius finish as seen on the SpyOperas on all of the main stay knives !

What do you think ?

NASA50
sal

Re: High-End Spyderco Knife Line

Post by sal »

Hi Nasa,

I appreciate your sharing your thoughts. Spyderco is both vertical and horizontal. We've always felt that it was a difficult balancing act, but one that has helped us across the years. I don't anticipate much change at this time in the direction in our business plan. We'll always try to improve. We'll always try to have a broad offering. We'll always try to bring all of our customers, regardless of their budget, safe, reliable, high performance cutting tools.

If our ELU's (End Liner Users) want more of something or less of something, or something new, we'll try to adjust.

sal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Taichung...

Also Im in the camp of not wanting the radiused edges for a number of reasons.

The sky is the limit really. Im sure spyderco could start cranking out a lot more $500 plus knives that are as close as production models can get to customs but that would alienate most of their customers.

I mean they are tools, so theres a price point cutoff for everyone. And the whole debate as to whether or not someone needs a quality knife in a supersteel thats over-engineered using the best materials vs wanting pocket jewelry... at which point its more of a discussion about art and craftsmanship.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

OP, might I suggest you pickup a Shaman? Particularly a Crucarta Shaman, if you can find one.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Matus

Post by Matus »

The point I would take is, that Spyderco could maybe have more models along the line of the Spyopera (which indeed has a lovely F&F and some really nice elegant touches - there is a lot to like about it). I would also love to see more of 3D shaped handles though I understand that that comes with a price tag (one either needs new FRN molds, or additional process steps with G10).

However Spyderco puts most value and focus on the utility (something I appreciate) and keeping reasonably priced models in the line (please don't stone me here, I am well aware of the heated pricing discussion) what means that these kind of finesses are not on the menu with many knives.

Would I have something against a few more 'higher end' models? No, certainly not, but I would not put too much focus on that. I still think that Spyderco does a great job focusing on the utility and should keep it that way. Going high end is a bit different kind of market that is also not easy to penetrate and while it might offer a growth potential, it usually makes more sense to start a separate brand to do so as the customer base would be a different one too. I have no clue whether that is something Spyderco ever considered.

Then there are the Taichung models. Everyone should try a few (I am admiring my Schempp Bowie right now)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a preference thing. I actually sharpen my thumb holes, I don't necessarily want to get cut by them but I want the edge nice and crisp so I get lots of traction during opening. Other knives may benefit from a sharp spine edge if you're into playing outdoors and use a ferro rod.

These details are also quite easy to do yourself with nothing more than sandpaper and some elbow grease. On this Ouroboros I polished all of the outside spine surfaces and cleaned up the inside of the hole so the edge is nice and crisp (it didn't occur to me until just now that I might also polish the inside of the hole too).

Would it be awesome if Spyderco did all that for me? Yeah of course. Would I want to see what it would likely cost me? Uh, no I think I'd rather spend $5 for a pack of assorted sandpaper and do it myself lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

For every SPyOpera they sell, Spyderco probably sells hundreds if not thousands of tenacious, endurance, persistance, and byrd knives. Those low end knives allow the high end knives to be developed and not cost much more than they do. Our Benevolent Overlord Sal has been doing this a long time and I trust his judgement.

Your "suggestion" is worthless. Now shut up and enjoy your knife.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my taichung models are about as fancy as i want to get in a pocket knife that i'll use. even those are either at the top of my price range, or have risen above it since i purchased mine. i've not held a spyopera, but neither the design, nor the extra finishing touches appeal to me at all, so i certainly wouldn't be interested in paying extra for them. i'm glad you like yours though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:17 am
Hi Nasa,

I appreciate your sharing your thoughts. Spyderco is both vertical and horizontal. We've always felt that it was a difficult balancing act, but one that has helped us across the years. I don't anticipate much change at this time in the direction in our business plan. We'll always try to improve. We'll always try to have a broad offering. We'll always try to bring all of our customers, regardless of their budget, safe, reliable, high performance cutting tools.

If our ELU's (End Liner Users) want more of something or less of something, or something new, we'll try to adjust.

sal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!
Dear Sal,

Please, please, please, tell the marketing folks to make an "Official ELU" T-shirt with a Spydie logo.

Thanks. :smlling-eyes
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Tastes differ, needs differ, budgets differ. There are folks who can't afford "high-end" Spydercos but still need a rugged, dependable knife and appreciate the less expensive Spyderco models made in China. Heck there are even folks who find the Spyderco branded models made in China too expensive for their tastes and opt for their even less expensive Byrd branded line. There are also folks who know that no knife, regardless of price, is going to last them more than a few months, tops, before they either break it or lose it. The good news is that anyone who wants and can afford a "higher end" Spyderco has plenty of models, many of which are made in Taiwan. from which to choose.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

NASA50 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:34 pm
Ok recently, as many of you may remember, I was pummeled by the Forum members for making the suggestion that Spyderco eliminate its lower end knives made in China (I learned to recant my initial inclusion of Taiwan) in order to preserve Spyderco's image as a top quality knife company (and differentiate themselves from all of the other knife offerings made in China). My suggestion was stick with high end offerings mainly from USA and Japan.

Well, since recovering from that post, and in an effort to broaden my mindset (as suggested by many) I ordered and received a Spy Opera - of course, made in Italy.

Upon my initial inspection - the first words out of my mouth were "what the ****" ? After seeing the beautiful radius edges on the blade, lock back and Spyder hole ... I wondered why all Spyderco's did not come with this extraordinary level of finish ?

Yes, I know ... becuase it costs more in labor ....

So now, after seeing the beautiful radius finish on the SpyOpera ... I revise my initial suggestion to (not only) drop the Chinese line of knives and instead, offer an optional higher-end line with the beautiful radius finish as seen on the SpyOperas on all of the main stay knives !

What do you think ?

NASA50
The low end knives are, what, $100 now? The S30V paramilitary 2 I own cost that brand new not long ago.

Go ahead and pay $170 for a Para or $500 for a Vibraniumwear "Shaman" with micarta, but both are remarkably foolish things to do if you're not filthy rich. The "high end" is mostly just pocket jewelry. No way I'd ever pay the current asking prices on their China knives. Actually there isn't a single Spyderco I would buy at all today. Too much price inflation.

I'll keep using the Para I bought back when prices were fair and if something happens to it, I'll find a cheapo knife to use. F this price gouging fraud.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

One of the very best things about this company is that they offer an unparalleled depth and versatility of options compared to any of their competitors. They offer exactly what the OP wants as well as options for nearly any other potential knife user. I trust Sal and Team to know their business as most of us here have come to learn. Welcome to the forum, I hope you learn a lot about knives, edges, sharpening, and fellowship with these great enthusiasts!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Seems like most of, what I consider the higher end models from Spyderco...are never in stock. Which I'm guessing means they sell out quickly when they are available. They have to be doing something right if that's the case.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I don’t really have an issue with the person who started this thread. Even while I do disagree with them in several ways.

That said, these threads sure have a way of bringing out the few unsavory parts of this forum and it’s members. I don’t have a perfect track record myself, but there’s a well endowed thread titled “Shiny Footprints” and the knowledge of common courtesy that you think would keep everyone in line.
I haven’t read the entirety of the other thread, but a couple of the comments directed at the OP in this comparatively short one are already what I’d consider uncalled for, regardless of whether the latter’s comments also float the line into shiny waters (imo).

Anyway, in my opinion, if you enjoy the make of Spyderco’s European knives, then just buy those
and other products made under the name of companies Spyderco is working with there (like Lionsteel). Surely that’s a good way to support the continued creation of those style of knives.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

joeldworkin307 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:53 am
Your "suggestion" is worthless. Now shut up and enjoy your knife.

Hi Joel,

Please refrain from this type of disrespectful communication on this form. Your kind understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:24 pm
I'll keep using the Para I bought back when prices were fair and if something happens to it, I'll find a cheapo knife to use. F this price gouging fraud.
Hi JohnDoe,

I'm sorry that you think that we're gouging and being fraudulent in our business practices. Insulting me is not going to cause me to believe it's true or make any adjustments. It just makes me think less of you. I respect your opinion and I would hope you would respect mine?

sal
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I would not be at all interested in Spyderco changing their manufacturing process on all their knives to offer a different version with rounded spines and holes.

Congrats Nasa on your Spyopera. Never handled one but they look so nice. If you want to build your collection of Italian-made Spyderco knives there are older models like the Lionspy and Lil Lionspy.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

How can Spyderco pricing be "fraud"? They set a price on their product and you can choose to pay it or not. Spyderco is honest about what the knives are made of and where they are made. They could charge $10,000 for each one and it still would not not fraudulent.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Oh, and to the OP: Spyderco does already offer a high end line. See the Paysan, Drunken, Darn Dao, Respect, etc. I expect that part of the line to grow while the middle contacts due pressures from you-know-where.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think it's funny he finds his SpyOpera THAT nice...nothing against the knife, I also find it to be a great looking knife and debated it myself when it was first released.

But praising the quality from a place a lot of people here feel like sour grapes about towards quality/fit/finish over the years from other models. Normally the Italian factory praise is on par with the thoughts of the Chinese made knives. Imagine once he finally pulls the trigger on a Taichung beauty!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick