CTS-XHP corrosion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: CTS-XHP corrosion

Post by ladybug93 »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:07 am
From December 26th...OP's Sharpening/honing thread.
Airlsee wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:41 am
I appreciate the depth of your questions because they are all valid and in pursuit of the right answers, but what is troubling is either your lack of comprehension, out-right dismissal, or misrepresentation of the information presented before you.

Please, just click here for your answers...

If there is some sort of communication barrier, please elaborate. Otherwise, it appears that you just like making threads without really being interested in any solutions that are not unique to you.

This was nearly a month ago, and Damiand just ignored it and kept on keepin' on.

I feel no obligation to help those who are only looking for attention and "self-validation". Damiand, whether intentional or no, is the definition of a waste of time.
internet translators have come a long way, but they are still terrible. have you ever had to depend on one? it's awful. now, imagine having to run every response through a translator and seeing jacked up translations of people making fun of you. i agree that the threads have been frequent and advice seems to go ignored, but i think he's shown that he's not a troll and is just struggling to figure out this all out. patience is nice and a little grace goes a long way. after all, he's not the first or only person to ask ridiculous questions around here.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

They were not getting mocked in the early threads. The mocking began after they spam posted the entire forum for weeks and ignored any responses that were contrary to "what I hear".

The language barrier is not the problem. OP has had many, many, well thought out respectful answers that they chose to ignore, just to post the same question in yet another thread.

Playing the victim here is laughable. I don't even think OP is a troll. I just don't think they have any appreciation for the time and energy others have put into responding to them.

I have a problem with people willfully wasting others' time.
So it goes.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I asked him a simple question, he was very rude to me. I put him on the ignore list. Pretty easy.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I've never put anyone on any lists...damiand may get the dubious honors of being the first.
So it goes.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I’ve dropped my chap into the pacific (standing on shore, not 10 miles out) and didn’t have any way to clean it so just stuck in back into my pocket. No issues at all.
Last edited by sethwm on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:54 pm
I’ve dropped my chap into the pacific (standing on shore, not 10 miles out) and didn’t have any way to clean it so just stuck in back into my pocket. No issues at all.
Both my XHP Chap and my REX45 Manix LW have been carried a lot, also iwb when running (so really exposed to sweat), used on various fruits and vegetables, and in wet and muddy conditions, left wet and dirty for days sometimes.

Inspected the blades of both my XHP Chap and my REX45 Manix LW very closely (with a loupe and pics that I enlarged a lot).
While it is hard to see any corrosion with the bare eye and in normal light, doing the above shows some spots on the Manix, and some of those spots are red (and not black).
The Chap though only has some a bit darker discolorations and no real spots. Nothing red anyway.
Again, both on the Manix and the Chap almost no "corrosion-ish" can be seen with the bare eye and of course REX45 just is more corrosion-prone than XHP.

What I am trying to say: In my experience it should be almost impossible to corrode XHP in a way that it would even just remotely impair strength and functioning of the blade (not talking about looks) - when even REX45 holds up comparably well to corrosion.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)