Astute Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What would you like to see happen with the Astute?

Upgrade 1 - BD1N/Gray G10
23%
Upgrade 2 - S35VN/Blue G10
17%
Upgrade 3 - Taichung Construction/Materials
20%
Astute LW - FRN scales
10%
Astute XL - 3.5" blade with full RoundHole access
15%
All of the above - This knife is amazing
7%
Other - specify in comments
8%

Total votes: 100

thewoodpecker

Astute Poll

Post by thewoodpecker »

I think the Astute is a fantastic design, and I am not alone (based on the recent thread). Here are some options of what could happen (theoretically).

What would you like to see?

Pick up to 3. Let the games begin! :bug-red
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Skywalker

Re: Astute Poll

Post by Skywalker »

I voted S35VN, Taichung version, and Astute XL.

I've actually been pretty happy with the 8Cr edge holding since the thin geometry is so good, it just wants to cut. So if upgrading the steel, go all the way to S30V-ish level, don't stop at BD1N.

Taichung, yeah, bring it on. Or Golden. Price might be a concern? So maybe combine with the LW suggestion. I don't have a Sage 5 LW but have heard nothing but great things about how Taichung has done with it.

Finally, XL would be awesome, IF the 2.5mm blade stock is kept. I'm less interested at 3mm. And personally full hole access isn't a deal breaker either; I carry/use left handed and it flicks open great with the middle finger.

Thanks for setting up the poll!
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Skywalker wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:32 pm
I voted S35VN, Taichung version, and Astute XL.

I've actually been pretty happy with the 8Cr edge holding since the thin geometry is so good, it just wants to cut. So if upgrading the steel, go all the way to S30V-ish level, don't stop at BD1N.

Taichung, yeah, bring it on. Or Golden. Price might be a concern? So maybe combine with the LW suggestion. I don't have a Sage 5 LW but have heard nothing but great things about how Taichung has done with it.

Finally, XL would be awesome, IF the 2.5mm blade stock is kept. I'm less interested at 3mm. And personally full hole access isn't a deal breaker either; I carry/use left handed and it flicks open great with the middle finger.

Thanks for setting up the poll!
Performance of 8Cr at 2.5 mm has been solid for me and I agree that an XL would be best if it maintained the current thickness. Lefty operation is not difficult for me though full access might be appealing for other users.

Golden seems pretty swamped right now so Taichung seems the probable option for a premium version…any steel with polished G10 sounds good to me. BD1N and S35VN seem the most likely as they are already in Chinese production.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

BD1N for me. What a well rounded "average" steel. The Astute is already just about perfect for me. Giving it a nice, but not premium steel would be rad. A real economical and small user knife.

FRN Astute would be sweet. I hope it could be priced at $30, but mid $40s seems likely.

I can only imagine the rules of space and time will be manipulated to fit the 3.5" XL Astute blade into a handle the size of a Ladybug.

Edit: I could be wrong, but I think I remember Sal saying established models never change locations out of respect to the makers. I definitely support that.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I would make sense to follow in the footsteps of the S35VN Tenacious and Resilience and made in the same factory. If a future decision was made to have a sub family with Astute's in different sizes, so much the better. I think it is an aesthetic and ergonomic masterpiece.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Even BD1 IMO is miles better than 8cr13mov, but would probably knock it off the value line in bd1n & S35v, I would have bought one in bd1n, as I don’t think I like my gifted S35v tenacious
At least I don’t grab it as much as I a do my BD1 Raven2 or vg10 endura 4
Even with the raven2 having a funky oversized bolster taking up cutting edge same as a Emphasis :thinking

AEB-L & N690 seems ignored , but BD1 or bd1n = sweet up grade
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Would love a Golden-made Astute with a backlock and wire clip
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I voted “Other” for “Appreciate the Astute as is.”

In my opinion, I don’t think it would make sense for the Astute to follow in the footsteps of two of Spyderco’s longest standing and potentially best selling models. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Tenacious actually is their best selling model of all time! It’s understandable that they would choose to offer it in a steel like S35VN.

The Polestar and Alcyone were projects Sal created and felt were being under-appreciated with their old checker pattern scales. I think Spyderco made the decision to change to plain grey G10 in an attempt to resurrect sales.

The Astute is a fantastic budget model. I think it is really awesome that Spyderco is willing to offer such great collaborations in their budget series. That’s not to say the Astute wouldn’t be a good high end model but Spyderco chose to offer it as a budget model and it’s great in that role.

As endless as it seems, there is only a limited amount of space in Spyderco’s catalog. Personally, I would much rather see resources devoted to other things than a second version of the Astute.
-Nick :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't like the knife enough to make it a regular in my rotation against knives i really like more, but i'm never opposed to upgrades. i agree that s35vn makes the most sense, but i doubt i'd spend the extra money for one if they made it. it's a good knife, but i see it as great because of where it fits in the budget line.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Some designs are so exquisite that they deserve to transcend the limitation of their steel category. The Astute may very well be one of those where a simple change in blade steel may elevate it to a best seller despite a step up to a different price category.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I wouldn’t complain with any of that. I think the Astute is a really good design, but like has already been said, models just don’t switch between makers so there’s no point in voting for the Taichung version.
The lightweights, steel upgrades, and XL version I’m all for.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

Adding serrated version to Spyderco's arsenal would push me into buying one. Upgraded steels and Astute XL would be even better. Just imagine how much edge length could be packed in a bigger model!
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:19 pm
I wouldn’t complain with any of that. I think the Astute is a really good design, but like has already been said, models just don’t switch between makers so there’s no point in voting for the Taichung version.
This is where an XL version could come into play. It would technically be a new model so could be produced in Taichung.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:02 pm
Some designs are so exquisite that they deserve to transcend the limitation of their steel category. The Astute may very well be one of those where a simple change in blade steel may elevate it to a best seller despite a step up to a different price category.
:index-finger 👍
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:48 pm
I voted “Other” for “Appreciate the Astute as is.”

In my opinion, I don’t think it would make sense for the Astute to follow in the footsteps of two of Spyderco’s longest standing and potentially best selling models. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Tenacious actually is their best selling model of all time! It’s understandable that they would choose to offer it in a steel like S35VN.

The Polestar and Alcyone were projects Sal created and felt were being under-appreciated with their old checker pattern scales. I think Spyderco made the decision to change to plain grey G10 in an attempt to resurrect sales.

The Astute is a fantastic budget model. I think it is really awesome that Spyderco is willing to offer such great collaborations in their budget series. That’s not to say the Astute wouldn’t be a good high end model but Spyderco chose to offer it as a budget model and it’s great in that role.

As endless as it seems, there is only a limited amount of space in Spyderco’s catalog. Personally, I would much rather see resources devoted to other things than a second version of the Astute.
I love the Astute as it is, thus my motivation for wanting to see more of them and creating this poll! While I acknowledge the popularity of the Tenacious and the excellent design of the Polestar and Alcyone.

The Astute just stands above them all for me. It would be a knife I could recommend to anyone looking for a solid EDC in with any budget.

I don't want a replacement for the current iteration, rather I would like more offerings that could appeal to people looking for more performance or premium materials.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:29 am
Cl1ff wrote:
This is where an XL version could come into play. It would technically be a new model so could be produced in Taichung.
The Emphasis is a large version of a Astute except the bolstering is slightly different page 124- 125 in the 2021 product guide :bug-red
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:01 am
thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:29 am
Cl1ff wrote:
The Emphasis is a large version of a Astute except the bolstering is slightly different page 124- 125 in the 2021 product guide :bug-red
I have seen and handled the Emphasis. It's a great knife however the only similarity is in the materials. Design is completely different.
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Magnacut.
notorious fidgeteer
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i just had to cut a package open with my astute and the 8cr13mov completely folded and crumbled in my hand. just kidding... it's a capable cutter as long as you don't have to cut abrasive materials in a factory all day long.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:39 pm
i just had to cut a package open with my astute and the 8cr13mov completely folded and crumbled in my hand. just kidding... it's a capable cutter as long as you don't have to cut abrasive materials in a factory all day long.
:rofl