Gayle Bradley 3 Possibility?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fanglekai

Gayle Bradley 3 Possibility?

Post by fanglekai »

I'd love to see a "GB3" using the GB1 design but with contoured G-10 scales like the Shaman instead of the proud liners. For steel, M4, K390, or Magnacut would probably all sell well. For hard use, Magnacut would probably be the best choice due to the high toughness and corrosion resistance.

Any chance of making this a reality? Would anyone else be interested in purchasing one?
Wartstein

Re: Gayle Bradley 3 Possibility?

Post by Wartstein »

It certainly would be a very nice knife (not that the current GB2 would not be, as far as I know...) - and I am all for promoting mid and high end linerlock Spydercos, here exists an overrepresentation towards the comp.lock imho.
Also I do like long cutting edges in rather compact handles and tool steels, so yes! :smlling-eyes

Personally I am not into CF though, Micarta would be great, but G10 fine too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'm happy with my GB2. I've never tried a GB1, but I might be interested in a GB3 with contoured G10 scales, as long as it is not slick G10 like on the DLT Kapara.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

I’d go for titanium. But TBF it’s such a good knife that I’m also interested in seeing them go nuts with it and try lots of things.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I was lucky 3 months ago and got a GB1 on eBay.
Very Good and beautiful knife.
But to heavy for me! 150g is a nogo.
I sold it to another Austrian collector.
My "Big" Ones are: Manix G10 M390, Straight Spine Stretch Sprint, Impala, Manix LW and PM2 Crucarta.
120g is my maximum.
So if a GB3 is not to heavy i'm in.

ASF
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I don't like the idea. The GB1 is great and the GB2 is just different enough. Contoured G-10 is a job for a custom scale maker, not the basis of a new iteration.

That being said, I would be very curious to know if there were any new/upcoming Gayle Bradley designs though! If the GB3 came from GB's perceived need for it, then who am I to argue?
So it goes.
Matus

Post by Matus »

GB3 would be a very interesting knife, but it should rather be a new design than just a GB1 remake. Does anyone know if Mr. Bradley still actively makes knives? I was not able to find much online (I tried some time back)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
timlara

Post by timlara »

Matus wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:30 pm
GB3 would be a very interesting knife, but it should rather be a new design than just a GB1 remake. Does anyone know if Mr. Bradley still actively makes knives? I was not able to find much online (I tried some time back)
I wonder if he retired from full-time knife making, because it looks like his web site has been offline for a couple of years. All I found was this web archive capture from 2019.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190818180 ... maker.html
Tim
Holland

Post by Holland »

I'd be all over a 3 inch gayle bradley.

I have used both the GB1 and GB2 a lot and the GB1 has the novelty and uniqueness on its side, but overall, I think the GB2 is a better knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’m all over a contoured Micarta GB3 in any of those steels. 100%!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

It will be interesting to see if he is at Blade Show Texas in a couple of months. He had a table at the custom knife show that became Blade Texas a few years ago.
So it goes.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Holland wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:33 pm
I'd be all over a 3 inch gayle bradley.

I have used both the GB1 and GB2 a lot and the GB1 has the novelty and uniqueness on its side, but overall, I think the GB2 is a better knife
This. Lil’ Bradley for the win
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Holland wrote:

Explain?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I recently bought a GB2 and I've really enjoyed carrying and using it. 100% I would like another variation of this knife.

Please don't put magnacut in a future version. 1. The knife deserves a high performance tool steel, and 2. The hype behind magnacut will likely push that steel into many models, which in turn dilutes the specialness of such a steel. The GB knives are unique. Keep it unique with something special.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The GB1 is better in my book, M4, heavy and screams use me.
Have put a few guys onto the GB2 and tried it but to me the ergo of the handle is too different.

GB3 with the above requested changes is not really a GB anymore.
Can’t see a GB3 ever being a reality. GB2 still sell’s well as it always seems to sell out whenever a new batch comes in.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

I love my GB2, I just wish someone would do an exclusive in a stainless steel like M390 or 20CV and black smooth g10 or canvas micarta.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:14 pm
It will be interesting to see if he is at Blade Show Texas in a couple of months. He had a table at the custom knife show that became Blade Texas a few years ago.
I was wondering too. When I met him a few years while watching a Blade Sports event that was held at one of the Dallas gun shows it seemed he was still very much making knives. That's when he showed me the prototype of the Advocate back lock.

When I saw the GB custom at the Blade Bar a couple months ago the girl I was talking to said he'd been in to the store a few times. I assumed it was a knife that he made recently but could certainly be wrong
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:04 am
Holland wrote:

Explain?
The GB1 ergos are less neutral and kinda push the hand towards the blade and it doesn't have much of a guard separating the handle from the blade

The GB2 has a more neutral handle with a nice guard. I like the slimmer handle on the GB2 and the slightly larger profile. Overall the ergos on the GB2 are better in my opinion.

The one thing I like better on the GB1 is the taller blade provides a steeper hollow grind and slightly better cutting performance, but not overly noticeable
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Matus

Post by Matus »

I had both and I am not sure I would prefer one over the other. They are quite different in hand. I also found the GB1 making me feel that my hand could slide forward - however not only because of the shallow finger choil, but also because of the rather slippery carbon fiber finish. GB2 does not have this 'issue', but the handle is thinner (I mean the circumference) what together with the slippery carbon fiber did not feel good in my hand. Plus both GB1 and GB2 habe just too much of an 'S' curve in the profile of the spine of the handle and that IMO is really a negative point as if one bears down on the blade in a hammer grip, the knife tends to rotate upwards because the part of the palm that bears the most pressure lands in the 'dip' on the spine. This is something that ideally should be designed differently should GB3 ever happen.

Last look back - from the two past models, the GB1 is definitely the more unique one. The 'liner' (let's call that a frame, shall we) is super strong, the knife very smooth and solid, even if too (butt)heavy.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

ive had the GB1 since launch and to date it is the BEST knife for breaking down cardboard boxes. that M4 just glides through the cardboard.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...