Endela Salt ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Endela Salt ?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Do you think we may see a Salt Endela this year ? I would like to see one in the Salt lineup . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
tbdoc4kids

Re: Endela Salt ?

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I will second this! Could we call it the Indian Ocean Salt? I love the Endela, but would like the corrosion proofing.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

That crossed my mine also , Salt Artic ? Who knows ? Great questions if it ever happens. MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

An Endela Salt definitely seems like a model that should have a place in the catalog. I would not be surprised if it were to happen in the future.

———
tbdoc4kids wrote: I will second this! Could we call it the Indian Ocean Salt? I love the Endela, but would like the corrosion proofing.
I would prefer that it be named something other than just “Endela Salt.” I like that the name Indian Ocean Salt is adhering to the trend of using an ocean/sea name but I don’t know how much I like the inclusion of the word ocean. When this idea was brought up in the past, the name “Mediterranean Salt” was suggested -
SG89 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:49 pm
The Mediterranean
That would probably get my vote.
-Nick :bug-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I don't know if we will see it this year, but I would have to think eventually. It seems like such a popular size that you would almost have to include it. I would guess from a sales standpoint, it would bring a lot of people to the Salt Lineup.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Gulf Salt, and it should be in Magna.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Hard to say. They would have to invest in a new mold since the FRN would be linerless. Hopefully soon. I want a few.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:31 pm
Gulf Salt, and it should be in Magna.
I like the sound of this!
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Indian Ocean is a bit of a mouthful. There are only so many oceans though. Maybe a sea? The Baltic? Adriatic? Caspian?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Spyderco has used the names of sea’s in the past, so it’s possible. They already have a Caspian salt and a Tasman Salt.

Also, in case anyone is interested, Ill just share this thread dedicated to naming a potential Endela Salt.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86127
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Here is another one of those threads (suggestions were "mediterranean Salt" there for example)

I´ll link Sals post there, where he says he´d be watching sales of the Endela before deciding if there´ll be a Salt version of it:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85893&sid=80e5cf73e ... e#p1398623

This was almost two years ago, so probably today it should be a lot clearer how popular the Endela as a platform is...?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

If we get the Endela Salt I would hope for a couple of tweaks:

1.) I am probably in the small minority here, but that is ok. I actually prefer the Delica & Endura edge shape where there is only a slight belly at the end. The Endela is like the PM 2 with a more sweeping belly. It is difficult to tell from pictures, but if you have some examples, put them together and you can see the Endela swoops up at the end with a higher pitch. The Endura vs. the Endela comparison you will see the Endura does not have the amount of belly even in a longer blade. You will notice when lined up the Endura tip is actually below the Endela. The Kapara is my favorite example where the tip of the blade has a very minor belly towards the end.

2.) Fill out that handle. Man you would have some serious edge in this relatively small package.

Either way, I know the and Endela Salt would bring a lot of people over to the Salt Line. Or would it? Just guessing.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:23 pm
2.) Fill out that handle. Man you would have some serious edge in this relatively small package.
THIS.

The Endela could even become my favorite model if it just had a blade/edge as long as the handle actually offers space for.

I have hope that a possible Endela Salt would actually get a longer blade, since this is the case with the Salt 2 vs the Delica.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:23 pm
If we get the Endela Salt I would hope for a couple of tweaks:

1.) I am probably in the small minority here, but that is ok. I actually prefer the Delica & Endura edge shape where there is only a slight belly at the end. The Endela is like the PM 2 with a more sweeping belly. It is difficult to tell from pictures, but if you have some examples, put them together and you can see the Endela swoops up at the end with a higher pitch. The Endura vs. the Endela comparison you will see the Endura does not have the amount of belly even in a longer blade. You will notice when lined up the Endura tip is actually below the Endela. The Kapara is my favorite example where the tip of the blade has a very minor belly towards the end.

Either way, I know the and Endela Salt would bring a lot of people over to the Salt Line. Or would it? Just guessing.
Honest question - If they made the edge shape about the same as the Endura, and also made the blade a little longer to fill the handle - wouldn't it basically be the Endura / Pacific Salt 2?

I know the Endela also has less pronounced "finger bumps" too, but that would put us back to just requesting they tone down the "finger bumps" on the Endura / Pacific Salt 2.

Or am I missing something else?
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Jason Paul wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:32 am
Honest question - If they made the edge shape about the same as the Endura, and also made the blade a little longer to fill the handle - wouldn't it basically be the Endura / Pacific Salt 2?

I know the Endela also has less pronounced "finger bumps" too, but that would put us back to just requesting they tone down the "finger bumps" on the Endura / Pacific Salt 2.

Or am I missing something else?
Good question. I think the edge shape would just be in line with the family. Delica and Endura both have the same shape just scaled up & down.

As far as filling the handle with the blade. The Endura already does this for the most part, and since the handle on the Endura is longer you would still have different length blades and different length handles. The Endela would still be a in between size. Just would look correct with the blade coming closer to the end and maximizing the blade for that particular handle.
Here is my Endura (left) & Endela (right) comparison. Obviously the handles are different lengths, but when I took this picture I had them butted up next to each other.

Interesting enough, the mellowed out finger bumps on the Endela are not really mellowed out bumps. They increased the height of the handle in between the bumps to give the feel of mellowing them out. This is easier to compare if you have an Endura and Endela. Put them on top of each other and you can see the Endela handle is a little taller in between the bumps. I personally think this feels nice.

Overall, you would still have a different knife than the Endura. Handle length and blade would still be shorter than the Endura and still be the medium size.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I mean, I’m definitely interested!
Never been good with names, but a Gulf Salt would be fitting since I live on the gulf coast of Florida.
I’m super into paleontology, so calling it the Yucatán or Chixculub would be really cool. The Chixculub crater of the Yucatán peninsula is where the meteor that took out the non-avian dinosaurs blasted into the Gulf of Mexico.
I highly recommend checking out even just the Wikipedia page for some fun reading! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_crater
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Handle is more important than blade and designed for use. Blades are made for jurisdictions.

Why is there always pictures of handles where there could be 1/16" more blade?

A 3.6 inch blade is no longer legal in some places so it might as well be 4 inches
z1r

Post by z1r »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:54 pm
Do you think we may see a Salt Endela this year ? I would like to see one in the Salt lineup . MG2
I'd love to see one in, yup, you guessed it, MagnaCut. Then, even if they don't call it a Salt, it would be. Love my Pac Salt, but would really dig an MC Endela.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

z1r wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:47 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:54 pm
I'd love to see one in, yup, you guessed it, MagnaCut. Then, even if they don't call it a Salt, it would be. Love my Pac Salt, but would really dig an MC Endela.
Let’s take that one step further , Wharnie in PE and SE Magnacut . ;) MG2
Henry David Thoreau
z1r

Post by z1r »

I like it as-is, but for the uses where I'd want a corrossion resistant knife, I could certainly live with a Wharnie! :winking-tongue

Heck, it might even be better.