MagnaCut Corrosion Resistance testing thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

MagnaCut Corrosion Resistance testing thread

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey guys, I received my Magnacut mule team in the mail last week and I will be testing the steel rigorously on the water for the next month. I will try to update this thread at least once or twice a week with results and observations. I would also love to see this thread be a place for anyone and everyone else to share their testing, results and findings on MagnaCut’s corrosion resistance. Since Spyderco is going to be trying this on some of their Salt knives I thought it would be good for us to help collect data. Let’s get after it. :cheap-sunglasses

https://youtu.be/4fDcnZUmpUk
sal

Re: MagnaCut Corrosion Resistance testing thread

Post by sal »

Hi Lance,

Thanx for helping. Mine is sitting in a vat of salt water.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Very cool, Lance!
... And love your "corrosion box" ;)

/ Also it was new to me that the Native Salt will change to Magnacut. Must actually mean that Spyderco did test this steel pretty extensively already...?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

As a hunter and fisherman my knife world and budget just got turned upside down......especially if SE performance excels.
ZetaH

Post by ZetaH »

Cool! Thank you Lance for the real world testing and thank you Sal for putting this new steel into continuous production! I could not buy a mule, I will buy a native5 magnacut as soon as they put them on sale.

Greetings and good entry to the year :)

Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:20 pm
Hi Lance,

sal

How long has it been now? Do you think knives that see water/air/water/air over and over are more susceptible to rust than ones that are soaking like yours?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'll be watching this thread with great anticipation!

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This will very interesting. I was thinking when someone was going to do some testing concerning corrosion. I look forward to results . Thank you much MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I look forward to following along and hopefully hearing others' results as well, thanks Lance!
So it goes.
vivi

Post by vivi »

extremely interested in the results, thank you Sal and Lance.
:unicorn
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I think whatever extreme corrosion resistance testing you all do with MagnaCut, it should be side by side with H1, LC200N and perhaps even 20CV and S45VN.

Data below are from Larrin (New Steel is MagnaCut):

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Sub
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

looking forward to following this one. i have a mule too, but i don't have time to do all the testing i'd like to.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:45 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:20 pm
Hi Lance,

sal

How long has it been now? Do you think knives that see water/air/water/air over and over are more susceptible to rust than ones that are soaking like yours?
I think being in and out of salt water, so also being exposed to air, causes corrosion quicker than just being fully submerged. Rust is an oxidation reaction. With that said even fully submerged, if it can rust it will.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

It’ll be very interesting to see the results of the real-world testing. Yesterday, I purchased a 12” piece of Magna-Cut for a new knife design that I’ll be working on. Pretty excited to see how this steel holds up.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
tangent

Post by tangent »

Oh man...looking forward to the results here. I'm a huge Salt fan and MagnaCut *might* be a game changer.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:24 pm
I'll be watching this thread with great anticipation!

Jim
I too will be watching this thread intently. I just wish you had a MULE model in both edge types to test. But SE can be determined at a later date with no problem.

I wonder if anyone has tested a Spyderco blade with "Aqua Regia">> which is a highly acidic and highly caustic solution that is used in laboratory testing to determine corrosion resistance in metals.

But sea water is usually a good corrosion test too. But it would be interesting to see the results of both.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The classical salt spray (fog) test ASTM B117 consists of atomizing a salt solution into uniform droplets on specimens supported or suspended between 15-30° from the vertical. The salt solution is a solution of 5% (in weight) of NaCl, (more than sea water, which is only 1.8% to max 3%). The exposure zone of the salt spray chamber is maintained at 35°C.

From International Stainless Steel Forum (ISSF): The salt spray test and its use in ranking stainless steels
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
archangel

Post by archangel »

Very cool threat.

My MTMC received a set of flat Halpern G10 scales and is bound for permanent kitchen duty. Like with all Spydie kitchen knives it is not allowed for the dish washer. Thorough hand washing and drying only. I won't be able to avoid that water or food liquids creep under the scales. So I'll remove the scales from time to time to see if and how much corrosion is visible.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thanks! This should generate lots of useful data.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001