Not happy about quality or warranty repair.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
babababoodro

Not happy about quality or warranty repair.

Post by babababoodro »

I bought a Manix 2/S30V with a partially serrated blade a few months ago and it was fine. Until I was cutting a small plastic retail hanger off of a Molly pouch for my kit and the teeth from the serrated edge broke off. I was shocked that a tiny bit of plastic could break my S30V blade!

So I brought it by the Golden location for warranty repair… after a few weeks they called to say the repair was done and I owed $20 so I paid for the services rendered. The guy explained that they resurfaced/reground the serrated portion of the blade, Great!…so I thought.

I get the knife in the mail a few days later to find it is in the exact same condition.

As it stands today, they have lost my trust and my business. They had a chance to make it right and failed, so much for buying American.

Has anyone else had this type of experience?
3C54F0D7-389A-4C3A-96F7-1C51FD6C467F.jpeg
EC05204B-EC80-48BA-9E79-B14F5C5B82C5.jpeg
TazKristi

Re: Not happy about quality or warranty repair.

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, babababoodro:
Welcome to our forum. I'm sorry for your experience and understandable frustration. We believe there was a mix-up with your knife and our processes. We're training some new folks and will review your situation with them to prevent it from happening again.

Would you please reach out to our Warranty & Repair Department at customerservice@spyderco.com and they'll make this right for you. Please mention this post on the forum in your e-mail.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Now that the repair part is sorted, what does the forum make of S30V chipping, in the face of...plastic? Does S30V have toughness this low, or is this an anomaly?

Sorry about the disappointment Baba; hope you stick around and join the forum fun. Bad experiences with the Spyderco brand are rare.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've never seen s30v chip like this, but clearly it happened. i'm curious what the "small plastic hanger" was. that could really be a wide range of things. sometimes the wrong material and a careless cut can cause damage. i had a similar (though not this bad) issue with lc200n serrations when i first got my caribbean.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m curious to know whether any lateral force, especially from the scalloped presentation side to the flat backside, might have been inadvertently applied while cutting the plastic such that the small points sheared off. We need to rule out cockpit error, right?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Wow.

There had to have been a mixup because they didnt touch that knife at all.

At least at this point you will get it fixed/swapped for free.

The chipping thing, yeah I will also say lateral forces can do weird stuff.
Also some of those heavy duty hangers arent getting cut with anything less than a saw.

Hard plastic sucks to cut through if you dont have a saw or a mechanical advantage. Have you guys tried cutting through hangers, or even a tube of chapstick? Pipe cutters work due to a mechanical advantage, but knife no work good.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

My serrated S35 Native 5 chipped a tooth real easy as well.
bjz

Post by bjz »

T.J. wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:00 pm
I’ve had a couple super tiny chips with mine as well…definitely have zero intentions of applying lateral twisting type cuts with that knife.

I always assumed that most of that plastic hardware stuff was made out of a reinforced nylon…that frn stuff is tough 😜

In all seriousness, as mentioned, a sawing motion (or pair of nippers/snips) is the right tool for that job, but sometimes all you have is some serrated s30v.

Hopefully the experience doesn’t jade the op! These are great tools.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:12 pm
Wow.

Also some of those heavy duty hangers arent getting cut with anything less than a saw.

Hard plastic sucks to cut through if you dont have a saw or a mechanical advantage. Have you guys tried cutting through hangers, or even a tube of chapstick? Pipe cutters work due to a mechanical advantage, but knife no work good.
This is a good point. I made an attempt to cut an old, used up Burt's Bees chapstick tube, that was sitting on my desk, earlier this week. That plastic is tough! I thought my knife would sail right through it. Then, when that failed, I tried chopping it thinking that would do the trick. When that barely even scratched it, I got more interested in how resilient the material was, so I attempted some plain edge sawing motion to no avail. Then, I got out a cutting board, put my knife edge on and really put some downward pressure on it. Still no dice. It was at that point that I realized I could cause more damage to my knife blade than to the chapstick tube if I inadvertently twisted it or applied some lateral pressure while trying to bear down on it.
--Jeremy
LakeOconee

Post by LakeOconee »

Maybe try "rolling" the tube repeatedly under a plain edge with some pressure?

This might simulate pipe cutter operation?

Waiting for my Magna Mule...
:bug-red-white MNOSD Member #0037
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

OMG. That's harsh. I pray you can find a solution. I have had some hard times but this is really tough. Good luck.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

T.J. wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:00 pm
Mine too. It left the tip of a tooth in a plastic cutting board. No lateral forces applied, nothing strange happened, besides the tip breaking off.

I hope Spyderco solves OP's situation with the due care.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

kerrcobra wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:14 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Wow.

This is a good point. I made an attempt to cut an old, used up Burt's Bees chapstick tube, that was sitting on my desk, earlier this week. That plastic is tough! I thought my knife would sail right through it. Then, when that failed, I tried chopping it thinking that would do the trick. When that barely even scratched it, I got more interested in how resilient the material was, so I attempted some plain edge sawing motion to no avail. Then, I got out a cutting board, put my knife edge on and really put some downward pressure on it. Still no dice. It was at that point that I realized I could cause more damage to my knife blade than to the chapstick tube if I inadvertently twisted it or applied some lateral pressure while trying to bear down on it.
Haha, yeah I used that example because I have also tried to cut through one. I was able to saw through it with serrated h1 but it was very difficult and I was "sawing" straight on. So no lateral force applied to the serrations.

The point is dont underestimate plastic.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yeah, I’ve chipped serrations on grp roofing sheet, carelessly twisting whilst cutting. Bad luck.

And I guess SFO are human after all.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hmmm... makes me think that perhaps I do right in so far buying spydieedged blades only in rather "soft" steels (H1 VG10 LC200N). Actually mainly for ease of sharpening, but I also never had any teeth-chipping problems even in "hard reckless" use.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:41 am
Hmmm... makes me think that perhaps I do right in so far buying spydieedged blades only in rather "soft" steels (H1 VG10 LC200N). Actually mainly for ease of sharpening, but I also never had any teeth-chipping problems even in "hard reckless" use.

Same here, I don't have much interest in serrations in many steels. I'd try them out but I definitely prefer tougher steels for serrations because I've even seen those steels chip teeth. The damage is on this knife doesn't surprise me one bit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

kerrcobra wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Wow.

If no one else is going to ask I have to, why would one be sawing through a chapstick tube? :smlling-eyes
z1r

Post by z1r »

bouhunter wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:44 am
kerrcobra wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Wow.

If no one else is going to ask I have to, why would one be sawing through a chapstick tube? :smlling-eyes
Why, to get to the Tootsie Roll center of course! :winking-tongue
hvarcz

Post by hvarcz »

I remember from teaching how to use hand bow saw dont push down, serrations will make work.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

My biggest issue with Spyderco is the factory edge chipping. I haven't bought a Spyderco Serrated yet but getting the factory edge off before hard use is a must.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021