did somebody say magnacut manix...?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: did somebody say magnacut manix...?!

Post by Bolster »

Report: After opening and closing the new Salt Manix maybe a hundred times while watching Jack Nicholson in Chinatown, the Salt Manix now feels like...opens & closes like...my other LW Manixes. Even drop-shuts now. Must have been that Nicholson magic. You remember this scene, it's where the child molester slices Jack's nose open.
Attachments
c6e3e627a96be989d2543fc5d9c5dc73-3124827336.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:34 am
Wallach wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:04 am
... truly bad lock sticking...

I'm not 100% sure what counts as CBBL lock stick, is it an auditory and tactile "pop" as you unlock the knife? That the thumb stud does not move smoothly back, but takes some thumb pressure and then "pops" as it suddenly unlocks? If so, I have that on 3 of 5 Mx LWs. The 2 that don't have it are the ones that have the most pocket time, so they probably broke in with use. I will say that the new Magnacut Mx LW takes the most effort to unlock. I'd not noticed it until you mentioned it, but did notice when I checked the Magna against the others. I assume the heavy unlock is simply because it's new--I don't imagine it has anything to do with the steel itself. Yours must be more severe if you noticed it right away.

With the blade closed, I put a tiny drop of mineral oil on the blade cutout where the ball engages. It smoothed it out considerably. Try that before you return it.
Interesting. Most my XL's have been good but my 4V had, and still has, the worst lock stick I've ever seen in this lock.

My 4V mini on the other hand came buttery smooth with zero lock stick.
:unicorn
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:56 am
Bolster wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:34 am
Wallach wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:04 am
... truly bad lock sticking...

I'm not 100% sure what counts as CBBL lock stick, is it an auditory and tactile "pop" as you unlock the knife? That the thumb stud does not move smoothly back, but takes some thumb pressure and then "pops" as it suddenly unlocks? If so, I have that on 3 of 5 Mx LWs. The 2 that don't have it are the ones that have the most pocket time, so they probably broke in with use. I will say that the new Magnacut Mx LW takes the most effort to unlock. I'd not noticed it until you mentioned it, but did notice when I checked the Magna against the others. I assume the heavy unlock is simply because it's new--I don't imagine it has anything to do with the steel itself. Yours must be more severe if you noticed it right away.

With the blade closed, I put a tiny drop of mineral oil on the blade cutout where the ball engages. It smoothed it out considerably. Try that before you return it.
Interesting. Most my XL's have been good but my 4V had, and still has, the worst lock stick I've ever seen in this lock.

My 4V mini on the other hand came buttery smooth with zero lock stick.
Yeah, I only have one other Manix 2 LW - the Rex 45 version - but that one operates flawlessly. On an unrelated note, that steel is amazing so far.

I think I'm just going to box mine up and send it Spyderco's way. I was going to wait longer, but I've honestly shredded my thumb pretty good in the past 48 hours trying to wear whatever is causing this stick down and it hasn't changed in the slightest. I'll let them handle this one and get back to my Rex 45 version in the meantime.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

Received my Manix 2 LW Salt last night and it's perfect. Of the 5 Manix versions I have now including 1 XL SNK 4V, the all Black stock CTSBD1N LW had the worst lock stick for quite some time and initially turned me off to the lock design. It finally broke in. 3 others are really good and the SNK LW 4V has the smoothest operation of them all. I'm glad I didn't give up on them.
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

I first noticed the really bad lock stick on my GP exclusive Rex45 after I took it apart and resembled.During the disassembly process, I was not all that thrilled that the pocket clip bolt and screw were all blue loctited together.

For a while,I thought it was stripped out and whether it was assembled correctly.
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

razorburn wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:58 pm
I first noticed the really bad lock stick on my GP exclusive Rex45 after I took it apart and resembled.During the disassembly process, I was not all that thrilled that the pocket clip bolt and screw were all blue loctited together.

For a while,I thought it was stripped out and whether it was assembled correctly.
My GP exclusive Rex 45 lock also stick and is very hard to close. Please tell me if the problem is gone after you took yours apart.
Thanks
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

Okay, just due to some stubbornness on my part, the lock stick on my Salt does seem to be working itself through finally. My thumbs are not happy with me, but they'll get over it.
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:37 am
Report: After opening and closing the new Salt Manix maybe a hundred times while watching Jack Nicholson in Chinatown, the Salt Manix now feels like...opens & closes like...my other LW Manixes. Even drop-shuts now. Must have been that Nicholson magic. You remember this scene, it's where the child molester slices Jack's nose open.
great movie
Alex
Scientia et pax
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I had a REC Manix with wicked lock stick. I did what I do to break in 1911 triggers. A lot of oil then hold pressure down on the spine as you release the lock. KEEP ALL FINGERS out of the way. Didn’t take long and it was perfect.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Recently got a Manix 2 SPY27 LW second and it has one of the best actions I have seen, right up there with my PM2.

Hit or miss I guess on some of these.

On another note did Spyderco.com already drop their salt Manix?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Another data point - my GP Rex 45 came with a nice, smooth action, and centered. Perhaps a tad stronger spring than others I have. I dyed it a nice red, and when I reassembled it I have the scale gap that looks like the first picture that gimibala posted. I didn't notice if that gap was there before I took it apart. I chalked it up to a very long hot bath to dye it, but now it looks like it may have existed before, though I can't say for sure.
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

Chumango wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:42 pm
Another data point - my GP Rex 45 came with a nice, smooth action, and centered. Perhaps a tad stronger spring than others I have. I dyed it a nice red, and when I reassembled it I have the scale gap that looks like the first picture that gimibala posted. I didn't notice if that gap was there before I took it apart. I chalked it up to a very long hot bath to dye it, but now it looks like it may have existed before, though I can't say for sure.
I checked my Rex 45 after my first visit to this thread, and it also has pretty similar fitting of the scales to the backspacer (though not quite as pronounced). I think that's just how the LWs are.
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

Yeah,my Rex45, my Screw together Manix 2 has really bad lock stick.Everytime I unlock the blade there's a loud ....CLICK

On the other hand, the SNK Manix 2 4V has no lock stick
TINCUP59

Post by TINCUP59 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:13 pm
TINCUP59 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:31 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:25 pm
TINCUP59 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:38 pm
I ordered from blade HQ, anyone got a shipping info yet.....?? this will be my first Manix and im really excited. My first spydie was a Native 5 salt, now i have shaman in 4v, lil native 20cv, Colorado USA made are only ones i buy
the manix is my favorite knife, and spyderco certainly makes great knives in golden, but i urge you not to overlook the knives produced in other countries. taichung spydercos are really great. seki are not as good as golden, but they are still great for what they are. even the budget line from china is really good. there are many great models you'll miss out on if you limit yourself to golden.
Thanks ladybug93! looking forward to getting my Manix for sure!!! Yes i know there are some really great other knives they make but I like supporting the good old people here in our Country!! my wife is a Vet and both my sis and brother in laws work in Law enforcement, so we try and vote with our Dollars. if i can i do not like seeing my hard earned cash go somewhere else!
i get that. i'm a vet also. spyderco is still an american company though, and i'm sure they would appreciate more of your dollars for great models produced overseas. nothing wrong with your choice though. i'm not trying to pressure; just encourage. :)
Thanks for the encouragement! Yeah i Love that spyderco is USA that is why i like them, and yes you are right the money is going to the company but i like seeing the CO USA on the blade every time i open it. REALLY looking forward to that it has shipped email!!!
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

I was thinking for awhile to dye the scales on my Manix 2 Salt, but now I’m not that sure if I should do it.
I’m afraid that the knife will loose a lot of personality if I go with a different color. I just did a quick search and these knives are still out of stock, maybe they sell very fast, who knows.
Attachments
IMG_0580.jpeg
IMG_0579.jpeg
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

gimibala wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:58 am
I was thinking for awhile to dye the scales on my Manix 2 Salt, but now I’m not that sure if I should do it.
I’m afraid that the knife will loose a lot of personality if I go with a different color. I just did a quick search and these knives are still out of stock, maybe they sell very fast, who knows.
If you are using it for its intended purposes, a water/outdoor knife the yellow works fine, especially if you drop/put it down somewhere.

Would it be weird in a suit pocket in the office, maybe, but I have other knives (PM3 Maxamet) for the office.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

every time i got yellow scales thinking i'd dye them, i changed my mind. i don't particularly like yellow, but it does grow on you, especially considering the intended purpose of the knife. i also find that it makes it look less threatening because it's a fairly friendly color (if there is such a thing).
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:09 am
every time i got yellow scales thinking i'd dye them, i changed my mind. i don't particularly like yellow, but it does grow on you, especially considering the intended purpose of the knife. i also find that it makes it look less threatening because it's a fairly friendly color (if there is such a thing).
Ladybug93,
I agree with you, the first day when I received the knife I said that I was going to dye the scales but after a while, I started to like the color, and yes makes you look less threatening.
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

Manix 2 LW MagnaCut in stock at GP knives

https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-manix ... 1pyl2.html
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

All my salts are still in their OG bright color. It's functional for the stuff I use them for, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that I might dye the butt end sticking out of the pocket when I'll eventually get a Manix salt. It's one that certainly has the potential to cross over into slightly more urban use for me.