poll: preference of production or exclusives/sprints?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Preference? Production or exclusives/sprints?

production
38%
exclusives/sprints
23%
exclusives (more than sprints)
4%
sprints (more than exclusives)
13%
don’t care
22%

Total votes: 112

sethwm

poll: preference of production or exclusives/sprints?

Post by sethwm »

First poll. What type of spyderco do you prefer? Vote above, explain why below!
sethwm

Re: poll: preference of production or exclusives/sprints?

Post by sethwm »

I prefer production knives even though more than half of my spyderco are exclusives. The reason is I feel more comfortable beating the **** out of a production knife since I can replace it if something bad happened. I always hold back just a little on the exclusives.

I’ve never had a sprint, and don’t know that I’d think of them differently than an exclusive.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

My priorities are the knife model and the blade steel, in no particular order. Whether an appealing combination is a sprint, an exclusive, or a production model is really up to Spyderco and retailers, and is of no interest to me. Of the five knives that I carry on a regular basis, two are sprints, two are production, and one is an exclusive.

If a new model/steel combination comes out that catches my eye, suppose I would be happiest if it was a production model, so I wouldn't have to fret about trying to bag one.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:19 pm
My priorities are the knife model and the blade steel, in no particular order. Whether an appealing combination is a sprint, an exclusive, or a production model is really up to Spyderco and retailers, and is of no interest to me. Of the five knives that I carry on a regular basis, two are sprints, two are production, and one is an exclusive.

If a new model/steel combination comes out that catches my eye, suppose I would be happiest if it was a production model, so I wouldn't have to fret about trying to bag one.
My thoughts, too. I voted, "don't care".
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i prefer production and wish that the effort and materials being diverted to exclusives would find their way into production. i do understand that's not completely feasible because every steel that makes its way into an exclusive won't be produced widely enough to be production. however, maybe we'd see more of a range of steels in the production models if there weren't so many exclusives. i think we'd probably see more new models as well. i mean spyderco is responsible for so much innovation in the knife world and they are starting to be known as the company that just makes more versions of the same thing and calls them new. and i hate how a material combination is locked forever by these exclusives. spyderco should have the control to be able to make whatever combination they want with their own products.

exclusives are great for some variety, it seems like it's just turned into a quick money grab for everyone, to include flippers.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I chose production because I have to save for each knife. I rarely have the cash available for something, and then POP, I need to come up with the cash immediately. I miss out on knives like exclusives all of the time because a month later they are out of stock.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks to Larrin, I'm more interested in what's been termed "balance" steels. Not something I fully understood before his work. So thanks Larrin! That being said, since I live in a desert, I can slant my preferences to tool steels without needing absolute corrosion resistance.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Of all of those options I probably like actual Spyderco sprints the most because they're usually available at all the dealers as opposed to dealer exclusives only being sold at that particular dealer, and then they also usually price gouge to high heaven.

I would love to see more new models coming out vs dozens of variations of the PM2/3, but at the same time when that happens the inevitable next step is "man I really want this new model in ______ sprint variant" so saying that we all want base model production isn't really the full truth. I can't remember the last time the front page was full of threads asking for black G10 and S30V.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I like the variety of the exclusives and sprints, but not the lack of availability. I’m really glad they made the Cruwear PM2 standard production but it seems like they don’t make enough in a batch as they’re constantly selling out. I’m not too concerned though because I know eventually I *should* be able to get one. I’m also glad they took the production stance with the k390 line.

I still carry and use my limited run knives but when I find one I really like, feel obligated to get a backup.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Production, mainly for availability in Europe, and the price.

There's an obligatory and justified mark-up when the knife comes from far away, but the mark-up on exclusives is way too high since I'd have to import them myself.

As for sprints, I do not really mind them, they sometimes find themselves on french/european dealers shelves so it is possible for me to buy ! It's not reliable tho.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I put in don’t care , the reason is that I want to buy various models . Color and type of steel have to really appeal to to jump on exclusives or a sprint . If a production comes out that works for me I try to stick with it . Blade variations at times can be a factor but only a knife I favor the most . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I voted don't care although a better term would be no preference. I find a model I like then try to get it in the steel I prefer. Whether that is in a production model or exclusive model does not matter to me. I do appreciate the issues our overseas friends face with that, and I was glad to hear that more focus was being placed on production models. I personally don't think exclusives should harm the main production line, but should compliment it.

Also, I like to support the local mom and pop store, but their supplies have been so limited. Another reason base production could help them.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I like them all. There's a pleasing variety of steels available in the standard line, and sprints/exclusives take care of spicing things up even more. I will say that the crazy number of exclusives makes sprints seem a bit less special, but I hope they never stop doing the S90V/CF sprints. Those are some of my favorites, when I am able to catch them.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Production.

We, Europeans, don't have access to sprints and exclusives because of the time difference and the fact that most US dealers have decided not to ship abroad specially after the pandemia.

In addition I prefer to have a knife that can be replaced because it is in regular production.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
anycal

Post by anycal »

Exclusives and sprints dominate my collection.

My first handful of :bug-red were all production. What ever was available at the time. I was new to the brand, and to what would eventually become a hobby, so I just wanted to try a few different models that appealed to me.

As this turned into a hobby, this is where I am today.

I really like the Golden lineup. My most used knives. And the fact that they lend themselves to sprints and exclusives, they comprise the majority of my collection. I would definitely have a lot less knives if it wasn't for this combination - favorite and variety.

If I really want a knife, I have no problem getting the production run. Sometimes it comes in plain house steel with black handle (Ikuchi), other times it already has nicer materials (Mantra, GB2).

And there are knives I really don't need, but are interesting enough where an exclusive or a sprint would get me to bite. And usually for only a few dollars more. Incidentally, this is the second biggest part of my collection.
Peter
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:35 am
I voted don't care although a better term would be no preference
Agreed. My bad. I definitely meant “no preference” when I chose “don’t care”.
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:04 pm
I prefer production knives even though more than half of my spyderco are exclusives. The reason is I feel more comfortable beating the **** out of a production knife since I can replace it if something bad happened. I always hold back just a little on the exclusives.

Naperville wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:34 pm
I chose production because I have to save for each knife. I rarely have the cash available for something, and then POP, I need to come up with the cash immediately. I miss out on knives like exclusives all of the time because a month later they are out of stock.

These are both good reasons for me, too.
Since I live in Europe, Exclusives are somewhat hard to get, sometimes more than just click and done, but not impossible - if there's need enough.

Sprints are quite easy to get in Europe, because almost every dealer has them - sooner or later. And we have a few weeks of pre-warning :winking-tongue

But production models are my favorite models. Easy to obtain, easy to replace, so no regrets. I really like the K390 Seki line and I wish there was something more... some other steel besides S30, S110 and Maxamet as a production steel in the Golden line.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Personally, a better poll would’ve probably been just two options: Regular Production and Sprints/Exclusives.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I've gotten hooked on "better" steels so all but one in my EDC rotation is lets say different from ordinary production. I have a PM2 S110V and Manix2 LW S110V so technically those are production too. I only have the one full production knife that has black scales so it's gotten that when I see a knife with black scales it looks a bit odd.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I kind of prefer certain balance. On one hand sprints give Spyderco the option to produce handle/steel combinations that otherwise would be out of reach, it is be nice to have other options than S30V and VG10. Yes - Spyderco is constantly improving in this regard (Maxamet, k390, Cruwear, MagnaCut in the future) and I applaud them for that. But on the other hand it is nice to be able to get a nice in materials one desires knowing, than it will be possible to buy one again later down the road. Seeing knives like Cruwear PM2 or the whole k390 Seki line is bringing joy to my face.

As a non US citizen I feel a bit left behind as many models are not available worldwide and ordering from US is costly and takes time. I am wondering whether there are large enough not-US-only vendors that would be economically viable to to come up with a dealer exclusive (a shop like KnivesAndTools or Lamnia might be capable of that) that is more trimmed towards European market (and all the knife law idiosyncrasies we have around here).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...