Bow Hunting

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Bow Hunting

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Not a Spydie but I do love this knife.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I used to bow hunt until an accident (not my fault) made it hard to keep the bow bent. I used a PSE with an overdraw and I also used a Bear 50# recurve. I came to enjoy the recurve more than the screaming fast compound bow. I always had my skinning knife on my belt.

I have actually run into people who killed deer and etc. and forgot to bring a knife. :eye-roll
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I've never gotten into bow hunting, but I'd like to someday. I'm currently sitting in the deer stand with my rifle and Native Salt. I typically carry a fixed blade Buck knife that my dad got me, but I left that in the truck.
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I have my licence for bow hunting, but after trying it I find it messy. It's next to impossible to kill an animal cleanly. Unless very talented, which I'm not, you're basically waiting for the animal to bleed out in pain and I can't personally stand it.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I used to bow hunt pretty regularly when I was in high school and college, but things have tapered off a bit in the past several years. I still enjoy shooting, but a lot comes down to prioritizing the time spent on that and other things. I bought a new bow last year, thinking I’d find some time to get back into the swing of things… But I haven’t even shot it once this year, ha.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Sadly not legal here, as of yet.
Would really like to, though.
bearfacedkiller

Now I’m post #1. I guess we got spammed.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I respect and admire any bow hunter . Since I am left handed and right eye dominant it doesn’t work for me . I have high power rifle hunted for Moose in Alaska and Missouri and shotgun in Illinois . Anybody that can sit in a tree stand or ground blind waiting for a good range shot is a better hunter to me than one taking a hundred yard plus shot . Bow hunting is a fantastic sport that may not be for everybody. Love your Bark River by the way . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
me2

Post by me2 »

I’ve shot a bow since I was 10 and taken it hunting a few times but never actually shot at anything. I never had the confidence to actually shoot at something alive. I always shot a recurve without sights.
benben

Post by benben »

One of my body techs I've worked with for years Turkey hunts with a bow, he says it's very difficult and very exciting. He also said if you think you're a great hunter, give this a try, it'll humble you!
bearfacedkiller

I have tried Turkey hunting with a bow. Definitely hard to draw without getting busted. We are allowed to take one with a bow in October which is archery season for deer here. I see them somewhat often while deer hunting. Even from my tree stand I have found it hard to draw on a Turkey. They are very afraid of anything overhead and are very quick to see any movement. One of these days I will get one with the bow. I might try getting one with my crossbow next spring.
-Darby
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

My wife was fortunate to have taken a turkey with her bow a few years ago. It was definitely a challenge (and a good way to risk losing an arrow 😉).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:54 pm
My wife was fortunate to have taken a turkey with her bow a few years ago. It was definitely a challenge (and a good way to risk losing an arrow 😉).
I love to hear your wife got a turkey with a bow , that’s fantastic. Few years back during shotgun I was hunting between two fingers coming off a extremely tall ridge . At daybreak I heard the first turkey getting out of roost and heading down a finger . All said and done I had 20 turkey in front of me without a care in the world . Eventually they moved behind me to the picked corn field behind me . Great experience but didn’t help my deer hunting that morning . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Edit
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I haven’t shot a bow in 20 years, I’m curious to see how much better they have become.

How many pounds is your bow?

Is your bow a recurve or a compound?

How many feet per second are your arrows traveling?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”