"Just In Case" knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

"Just In Case" knives?

Post by James Y »

Does anyone ever desire some knives for "just in case" scenarios? I'm not talking about some cataclysmic event, but "in case I go traveling" or things like that. Or is it only an attempt for me to justify buying another knife? I already don't buy many knives anymore.

Lately, I've been thinking about getting one of the new fully blacked-out Para 3's, "In case I take a road trip here in CA; the sub-3" blade would be legal in any city (AFAIK), and the fully-DLC'd S45VN version would be more corrosion-resistant."

Problem is, I'm not planning on any road trips, and even when I went on them in the past, I carried whichever knives I wanted and never got stopped for them, even in LA, San Francisco, etc.

I've used similar excuses for other knife purchases in the past, too, and the "need" for that new knife was never fully realized.

I'm guessing this is the wrong place to post such a question. 🤪

Jim
Naperville

Re: "Just In Case" knives?

Post by Naperville »

I may have to buy one of Michael Janich's ChicagoJimbos. I always take whatever I normally carry because you cannot defend yourself legally with a knife in Chicago. It looks like the best solution to me if you have to go that route.

Also, I've been trying to get my mom to get her FOID and CCW. Nothing better than a harmless woman shooting a perp.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Oh yeah. I live in a state that hardly has a knife restriction at all anymore, and I pick up knives legal in all sorts of places accustomed to nanny-state blade laws. Urban, Lil' Native, UKPK...I like to travel, but I also just like knives, haha!

If you need to justify your next knife purchase with a "just in case" scenario, that's as good a reason as most...
Last edited by Airlsee on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I sometimes carry a "just in case knife" if I'm carrying a valuable or irreplaceable knife just in case one of my good buddies wants to borrow a knife. I caught a lot of grief for handing a fishing buddy of mine a box cutter a long time ago. :grin-squint
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Sounds like a fantastic reason to buy another knife if you ask me. :p
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I have JIC knives, mostly because of the "one is none" rule:

- backups of my favorites: Millie, Chief, Chap, N5, BRKT ULB, Vic Rambler, Cadet, Explorer, Spirit.

- a Pro-Tech SnG auto JIC I get arthritis (RSS, CTS) and have difficulty operating knives manually.

- expendables and beaters, JIC I go somewhere where I can lose a knife or do something that can damage my good knives (Opinel #9 and Hultafors GK respectively).
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

An EDC rotation is a beautiful thing. You can have different knives for different situations.

I have different knives for when I carry in a different pocket such as against the seam of a rear pocket, a shirt pocket, or a vest pocket. I have a few larger fixed blades for the woods. I have a defensive fixed blade for IWB when I travel to states where it is illegal to carry a gun. I have a couple of knives in D2 or K110 that only get carried in dry weather. I have a few fancy knives for special occasions. I have a couple of neck knives for aquatic activities and during the pandemic, they've seen "pajama day carry".
Matus

Post by Matus »

Urban, UKPK, SAK
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

My job and daily activities all but necessitate the use of a rust proof knife. I know that puts me in a very small minority but I think the success of the Salt line can be attributed to folks wanting a “just in case” knife for all sorts of corrosive scenarios that they don’t find themselves in daily but still want a knife they are comfortable using in that way should the need arise. I think Salt knives and SD knives are likely the 2 biggest “just in case” scenarios for which folks buy knives they may not need on a regular basis.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I did a little petition for a slip joint Ladybug but it didn't get much traction. I'm thinking about a bobbed down UKPK Salt for the next time I need something length/lock legal.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

Great responses, everyone!

The problem with JIC knives is that most of the time, I already own at least one knife (and probably multiple knives) that would already fit my special reason for getting another.

For example:

“I need a rustproof (or at least a more rust-resistant) knife in case I happen to be walking along the beach one day and the sea spray gets onto the knife in my pocket.” Yet I already own and use several Salt knives, as well as a couple David Boye dendritic cobalt folders. That’s only one little example.

I suppose deep down, it’s really a desire for that ‘next big thing’ or ‘The One’ that satisfies all the marks of personal perfection, which is really a never-ending search. Fortunately, I’m usually able to resist the pull. Although I AM very pleased with my most recent knife purchase (my only knife purchase this year); my UKPK Salt, which satisfies my ‘need’ for a rustproof, one hand-opening, legal-almost-everywhere slipjoint pocketknife.

Jim
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I’ve given up on rationalizing my knife habit with “just in case.” At this point, I probably have a specialized knife for any hypothetical use-case scenario.. A while back, I just accepted that I buy new knives because I like knives haha!

I’m on vacation this week.. along with my Jester, which lives in my LFP as a secondary carry, I packed four other knives in my duffel in anticipation of any activity that may come up, “just in case.” The reality is, for one week, I could probably get by with just the Jester if I had to!

But, yes.. one should definitely buy a knife “just in case!” You’ll get no argument from me there..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I buy knives "just in case" by bank account gets too much money in it and I buy something stupid!
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:46 pm
Does anyone ever desire some knives for "just in case" scenarios? I'm not talking about some cataclysmic event, but "in case I go traveling" or things like that.
I have a whole set of 'in case I travel to X' knives.

I am in California for several weeks every year, so I have 'California legal knives' for that, and I also do a lot of international travel, so I have knives for that.

I tend to use an upcoming trip as an excuse to buy a new knife that works for the jurisdiction though--rather than use one of the ten others I still have from past trips. Sigh.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:15 pm
I sometimes carry a "just in case knife" if I'm carrying a valuable or irreplaceable knife just in case one of my good buddies wants to borrow a knife. I caught a lot of grief for handing a fishing buddy of mine a box cutter a long time ago. :grin-squint
I almost always carry a 'loaner' knife for non-knife people to abuse.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I have a UKPK so i can carry a Spyderco knife when i visit my inlaws in München, Germany. My wife has a non locking squeek for that same reason.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned a wide array of different types of cutlery since about 2006 or thereabout. Since that time I've really expanded my collection of various types of cutlery. I have mostly Spyderco blades but I also have a few "Specialty" type blades for that rare occasion. I even had an oyster shucking knife at one point until I sold it to a guy on the Gulf Coast that needed it for actually doing "oysters on a half-shell".

As time goes I've been prioritizing having a wide selection of sharpening tools above a huge selection of blades. Because even the best knives out there are completely useless if they are dull.

Even something as mundane and boring as a simple "linoleum knife" has more uses than most people would imagine.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I regularly carry a Manbug, Ladybug, or Dragonfly 'just in case' I am in a setting where using a large blade isn't appropriate.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I live in a country (France) where carrying a knife is illegal (but somehow tolerated for traditionnal knives that elders still carry, like Laguioles, Opinels, Buck 110s, SAKs).
I often carry what i actually want to carry when not in public places or venues (stores, events, etc) and when I need to get to a crowded place I take a small slipjoint (lionsteel bestman 2, really not offensive-looking) or my Victorinox Mini-champ.

But since I live in the countryside of France, I mostly carry whatever I want since it's viewed the same. Police do not have the right to keep our knife, they just remind us it's not legal to wander around with one. The authorities really act case by case on this, because this tool is demonized here and the people protecting us all come from a background where a knife is considered a tool, not a weapon.

(Chapparal for the win!)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I never worry about blade length or any of that stuff, but I do find myself carrying my Microtech OTF double edge dagger or my Spyderco Matriarch when I walk our dog at night..."just in case"
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick