Where are the Chaparral LW colors?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Where are the Chaparral LW colors?

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder why we do not see the Chaparral LW offered in colors. This seems like a logical move, to me. I'd love to see coyote and an earthy blue. An earth tone orange would be nice, as well. Coyote would be on the top of my list, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Re: Where are the Chaparral LW colors?

Post by sal »

So whaddayouwant? I'm sure there are some also curious.

sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Something like a different color FRN handle is easy enough to offer but I wonder how selective Spyderco has to be about the different types of Chaparral they release. Would a new color be enough change to consider it a different handle, or simply just another FRN color option? Can the catalog support multiple colors of FRN Chaparral or would it require discontinuing the grey model for an updated color?

I really enjoy the integrity that the Chaparral series maintains by remaining faithful to it's original intention of being one consistent model that showcases different handle materials. It's a unique series in its own right.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am for everything possible that helps to make the Chaparral LW (even more?) popular, and additional colors would be one way.
It is just a superior performing, unique choice with its strong, but thin 2mm ffg blade.

Anyway, I´d like to see a bright, high viz color like orange and something more "classy" like a darker blue.

/ While we are at it: I personally am more than perfectly happy with the XHP , but some more steel choices would also help to make the model more popular (I am sure some here would like to see a Chaparral Salt..in green...:smirk )
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

White, of course. So we can dye'em :tonque-out
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:17 pm
I really enjoy the integrity that the Chaparral series maintains by remaining faithful to it's original intention of being one consistent model that showcases different handle materials. It's a unique series in its own right.
True, I do like that integrity too. And if it was any other model than the Chap, I´d probably rather see new, rare, unusual... handle materials than more FRN colors.
But since the Chap is such an unique/only choice for those who like a really thin - both in handle and even more so in blade - option, I am still for more FRN colors. Unless there´ll be another, different chaparral-ish model (2mm ffg blade / ultrathin carry).
(And: Of course I can´t help mentioning my longterm dream of an endela-sized Chaparral XL as another deviation from the original concept of the line.. :smirk )

(It is a bit like it is with the Sage: Really cool that this platform showcases different locktypes.
But the probably most popular (?) version, the comp.lock Sage (5), got a second version as a "lightweight" FRN model. And I´d even not be opposed to further enhance this "exception from the concept" and give the FRN/comp. lock Sage also more steel choices...)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think an Orange/pink color would be cool.
You know how brushed copper scales are a little bit of pink and orange in some light.
Grapefruit/peach and some skin tones are close to what I’m picturing as well.
The middle color in this pallet basically.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I really like pastel colors. You don't see many lavender or pale green knives.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

OD Green...Micarta...with Cruwear

GITD Blue...FRN...with LC200N Salt
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

As always I say Burgundy, but OD Green is nice too!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'd be in for any sort of Blue color. The GITD Blue mentioned by steelcity gets my vote.
--Jeremy
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

While I think different FRN colors would jazz things up for the chaparral, and I would like that, this would not drive me to purchase another even as much as I like them. But on the other hand colors and a new steel would most certainly push me over the edge.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The gray is perfect.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I think the Chaparral should stay the understated knife that it is. Any colors should be relatively subdued, IMHO. Like the colors of men's suits.

EDIT: I just had the greatest idea! They could make a series of Chaparral versions in micarta that's made from various suit fabrics. It would be so cool to have a Chap in a grey flannel suit. Er, sorry about the threadjack...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:03 pm
So whaddayouwant? I'm sure there are some also curious.

sal
Well, you know I like coyote and forest green. Those are my top likes. I like orange and a lot of these earthy blues you have been using, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dj moonbat wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:05 am
EDIT: I just had the greatest idea! They could make a series of Chaparral versions in micarta that's made from various suit fabrics. It would be so cool to have a Chap in a grey flannel suit. Er, sorry about the threadjack...
Cool idea, though I personally practically never (have to) wear a suit.

But then there is denim Micarta, and I do wear blue jeans... actually pretty much my "gents" outfit, compared to the pretty casual climbing/bouldering pants I otherwise wear a lot ;)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if there were to be more colors offered, it would be cool for them to be more understated than the bright colors of seki frn models. i like the grey, personally, but it would be nice for more classy color options. i like burgundy, plum, british racing green, navy blue, dark brown, etc.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I like bright orange, dark blue, dark green, navy blue, blue/gray
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:55 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:17 pm
(It is a bit like it is with the Sage: Really cool that this platform showcases different locktypes.
But the probably most popular (?) version, the comp.lock Sage (5), got a second version as a "lightweight" FRN model.)
I used to say the same thing about the Sage series but, in my opinion, that level of integrity consistency was abandoned when they introduced the Sage 1 in Maxamet.

Believe me, I don't expect anyone to agree with my sentiment. I'm certain that we will see various colored Chaparral LW's in the future. It's just a color after all, the handle itself isn't actually changing. Color might actually be the easiest possible thing to change on the knife.
Last edited by Mushroom on Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:03 pm
So whaddayouwant?....
They're going to ask for every color in the spectrum lol. Remember, you opened that door haha
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!