Sal - YOU are not listening to us

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Perhaps_OCD?

Sal - YOU are not listening to us

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

EDIT: In this discussion we have confirmed the PM2 clip placement has nothing to do with customer preference. It comes tip down because that’s they way it has always been, and Eric likes it that way. It doesn’t matter that it leaves marks that are exposed when putting the clip in the position used by most of the knife industry and your other spydercos.

The several polite threads over the years with polls trying to influence Spyderco to put the clip tip up, like most other knives, won’t change a decision made based on “it’s the way it’s always been” and “Eric likes it that way”. My attempt to try a different approach and be a jerk, pointing out the failed polite attempts, and the data, will also not change a decision that has nothing to do with what customers want.

There’s no point in further discussion of clip placement on PM2’s. If you don’t like the marks from the clip on your expensive limited edition, deal with it. You can also cross your fingers that Spyderco has spare scales for the knife you received factory blemished. In the past, they’ve told me they don’t keep spare parts for sprint runs or exclusives so don’t get too optimistic.

From Sal in the past, reposted in page 3 where the thread should have ended:

viewtopic.php?t=74684#p1156009

viewtopic.php?p=1391661#p1391661

We’ve also discussed how Benchmade’s novel solution is a piece of cardboard between the clip and handle. Could be a good compromise.

Original post below. Yes I know I’m being a jerk. Feel free to call me out on it. BUT I encourage you to first take a $240 Spyderco, a black fine tip sharpie and make two identical marks on the handle like seen in post 2. Then think about all the regular people who buy a PM2 and are used to their other knives coming tip up, but don’t have torx bits. Think about all the time members have wasted in other threads trying to nicely influence a change but failed, then let me have it for being a jerk. I’m the jerk here.

Please close this thread whenever convenient. Might be fair to let some others get the last word in.

The majority of your very loyal customers want the PM2 to come tip up.

On G10 PM2's, your decision to mount the clip, where the majority doesn't want it, only causes marring visible in certain light. However, on your copper models it mars the handle in an obvious way; especially if there's a black clip.

The multiple threads you've ignored are below:

viewtopic.php?t=60004

viewtopic.php?t=85212

viewtopic.php?t=78070
Last edited by Perhaps_OCD? on Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Perhaps_OCD?

Re: Sal - YOU are not listening to us

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

This is your newest Blade HQ exclusive. I've tried rubbing alcohol, acetone, paint thinner, magic erasers. Nothing works. There's paint imbedded in dents that only coarse abrasives will get out. Knife has never been carried. This is PM2 number 20 for my collection. Thanks for making it extra special.

Last edited by Perhaps_OCD? on Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Perhaps he/they ARE listening, but they disagree?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:26 pm
I sure hope not. I respect this company, that would be a jerk of a thing for them to do without explaining.
Last edited by Perhaps_OCD? on Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:27 pm
Evil D wrote:
I sure hope not. I respect this company, that would be a jerk of a thing for them to do.

Or it would just be what they think is best. We don't just get what we want all of the time. This company does an amazing job of listening to feedback but there are limits. If they feel the design works better or is safer or whatever reason, then it is what it is. There are surely a slew of people who actually prefer tip down (omg I know, the nerve of some people) who would be equally unhappy I'd they did change it.

Personally I think the best idea would be to not mount the clip at all on any knife and let the owner decide, but then you'd have people making complaint threads like this about how their expensive knife required additional assembly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:32 pm
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I sure hope not. I respect this company, that would be a jerk of a thing for them to do.

Or it would just be what they think is best. We don't just get what we want all of the time. This company does an amazing job of listening to feedback but there are limits. If they feel the design works better or is safer or whatever reason, then it is what it is. There are surely a slew of people who actually prefer tip down (omg I know, the nerve of some people) who would be equally unhappy I'd they did change it.

Personally I think the best idea would be to not mount the clip at all on any knife and let the owner decide, but then you'd have people making complaint threads like this about how their expensive knife required additional assembly.
I like the idea of not mounting a clip at least on sprints. A $240 knife shouldn't have marks from the factory visible when putting it in a configuration ~70% of people buying these enthusiast knives want it in.

He put freaking 4 clip positions on this knife. That makes it even more ridiculous to some degree. There's obviously an understanding that people will want it in a different way. If sprints came in left hand compression locks 30% would be happy too. Why go for 30% vs 70%?
Last edited by Perhaps_OCD? on Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
jerk of a thing for them to do
There’s some irony in this thread.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:39 pm
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
jerk of a thing for them to do
There’s some irony in this thread.
Says the dude that took a part of my post and quoted it out of context?
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Can’t make everyone happy, at least there’s options. Being a business owner can be rough since there’s always something that people can find to complain about. IMO this is a non issue because, again, you have options. Get a torx driver out and change it..not that hard. If the marred surface bothers you then return it to the dealer.

Have you tried flitz? Im sure that would take it out. Even if you have to buff it, the copper will patina and you won’t even see it after a very short amount of time.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I think it's perfect that the PM2 comes tip down. It prevents Instagram people from switching the clip to tip-up to fool their followers into thinking that they actually carry their knives, then putting them back to tip-down and flipping them as BNIB.
FK

Post by FK »

Ref: Blade HQ Exclusive,,,, are you certain the copper scales are directly from Spyderco,,,,,, they could be aftermarket and installed by Blade HQ ???

Regards,
FK
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

capt.carl wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:46 pm
Can’t make everyone happy, at least there’s options. Being a business owner can be rough since there’s always something that people can find to complain about. IMO this is a non issue because, again, you have options. Get a torx driver out and change it..not that hard. If the marred surface bothers you then return it to the dealer.

Have you tried flitz? Im sure that would take it out. Even if you have to buff it, the copper will patina and you won’t even see it after a very short amount of time.
I'll try some flitz. I'm not sure if catering to the ~30% that want the knife this way is the best method of making sure the most people are happy.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

FK wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:55 pm
Ref: Blade HQ Exclusive,,,, are you certain the copper scales are directly from Spyderco,,,,,, they could be aftermarket and installed by Blade HQ ???

Regards,
FK
Theyre 100% Spyderco / not Flytanium. It's what makes the knife so bad ***. The compression lock design is different too. There's no liners. It's like the PM3 lightweight. I like to think the copper PM2 is a prototype for a PM2 lightweight. :beaming-face
Last edited by Perhaps_OCD? on Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Accutron wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:53 pm
I think it's perfect that the PM2 comes tip down. It prevents Instagram people from switching the clip to tip-up to fool their followers into thinking that they actually carry their knives, then putting them back to tip-down and flipping them as BNIB.
HAHAHAHA. This is the best reason by far!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I thought the PM2 being tip down was Eric's preference? I'm a total Eric disciple but tip down is gross IMO.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Matus

Post by Matus »

Some serious heat in this thread …
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Matus wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:22 pm
My apologies
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The key to this thread is in the OP’s user-name.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The Military is tip-down only, the original Paramilitary was tip-down only, the PM2 comes tip-down from the factory... The Para3 coming the other way around is the odd man out here.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Matus wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:22 pm
There's been like 10 threads over the years. Figured I'd try to put some tension in the system and see if it gets a different results.

I purchase at least 1 Spyderco a month, but often 2. That won't change.

Sal invented the pocket clip and can put it wherever the **** he wants it. I'm just trying to point out to him it is not where his customers want it. With 4 clip positions I don't buy that the knife is supposed to be tip down by design. Except for the military, which is limited in design, he has chosen to put the clip on his knives where the majority of people want it to be, tip up. I'm not saying this is the case, but it surely seems like a case of "but it's always been this way" while they recognize it shouldn't be this way in their new designs.