Dyad Or A New Double Bladed Design All Together?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Dyad Or A New Double Bladed Design All Together?

Post by JD Spydo »

Well yesterday I got out my C-44 Dyad. The older/original full sized ATS-55 Dyad model. I really like the concept that Spyderco had with their Dyad models and I've always enjoyed using my Dyad models over the years. And the Micarta Version of the C-39 Dyad Jr. is one of the only micro sized Spyders I ever took kind of seriously. I've talked about this subject of another possible double bladed Spyderco folder a couple of times over the years.

And I'm hoping at some point that Spyderco will either re-design the bigger C-44 Dyad or come up with a new double-bladed folder all together. The concept of having one full sized SE blade along with one full sized PE blade just makes really good practical sense to me. I've been carrying one SE and one PE blade for quite a long time now. It's really rare when I go through an entire work day that I don't use both folders at least a couple of times each.

What would many of you like to see in a new Double-Bladed folder if Mr. Glesser decides to take this item under consideration? Personally I would like to see Spyderco do another full sized, double bladed folder again at some point. I've long been wanting to see a full sized Salt Series Dyad for quite some time now. But everyone has different needs. So let's talk about it.
Sumdumguy

Re: Dyad Or A New Double Bladed Design All Together?

Post by Sumdumguy »

We need a bolstered Dyad Jr, with jigged bone.

:smiling-heart-eyes
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

A picture for posterity.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:32 pm
A picture for posterity.

I must admit that particular Micro Dyad with the bone handle was a nice piece of eye candy. And for those who like that type of artwork there's not a thing wrong with it.

However my main thrust is to lobby for a fully functional double bladed folder with one full PE and one full SE blade to get a guy through a demanding work day. But there is always room for stuff with eye appeal.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Frankly, I prefer the lock system on the Micarta C39 to the one on the C44, but the unlined Micarta of the original C44 over the bulk of the lined sprint run C44. The Micro Dyad was nice, but it was too small for me. The Dyad concept is interesting, but it doesn't work particularly well with the Spyderholes and humps. The newer concepts I've heard about haven't sounded too appealing to me. I'll just stick to my old one.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I totally am up for either. The serrated blade is fine but the plain edge I would like to see more strength in the tip . Something in line how the Byrd Wings design of the PE blade . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:44 pm
Frankly, I prefer the lock system on the Micarta C39 to the one on the C44, but the unlined Micarta of the original C44 over the bulk of the lined sprint run C44. The Micro Dyad was nice, but it was too small for me. The Dyad concept is interesting, but it doesn't work particularly well with the Spyderholes and humps. The newer concepts I've heard about haven't sounded too appealing to me. I'll just stick to my old one.
And for the reasons you've just cited along with some of the other minor complaints about the C-44 Dyad that have been logged over the years I think a totally revamped and improved model is in order.

But I won't give up on the concept that Spyderco tried when they first introduced the Dyad family. Yeah I've always been disappointed that there is no lanyard hole on either one of my C-44 models>> that's one of my complaints of the original C-44 Dyad. I just don't get that one at all because a lanyard hole is extremely vital on a hard use work knife.

Going back to the "drawing board" is certainly in order. But again I don't want to give up on the possibility of a really good design of a double bladed folder. Certainly the big Dyad can be improved on.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:06 pm
I totally am up for either. The serrated blade is fine but the plain edge I would like to see more strength in the tip . Something in line how the Byrd Wings design of the PE blade . Regards MG2
I have always loved the streamlined clip point blade in the C-44 Dyad model. It's unbelievable how sharp I can get that blade>> yeah even with ATS-55 blade steel at that.

The full SE blade on the C-44 Dyad has also been intriguing to me over the years. Just the slight "belly" in that sheepsfoot blade makes a lot of difference in overall performance.

Now I do get what you mean about the needle point tip on the PE blade in the Dyad. Which is why I'm preaching for a completely revamped version of the C-44 model. I hear you loud and clear Brother :cheap-sunglasses
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Dyad salt would be a killer reintroduction.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I like the look and practicality of the Dyad. But I’ve always thought that when in use the closed blade could press into the grip and be uncomfortable.
I have the original stainless Clipitool with the plain and serrated blades and have found it very comfortable in use. The two different blade shapes, sheepsfoot and leaf, share a pivot and complement each other and don’t affect your grip. It is close to the Dragonfly in size with similar ergonomics.
I always though a larger version, say Delica or Endela sized, using the same principles would be a useful knife and If the leaf blade was chaparral shaped it may be less intrusive.
Or use two roadie style blades side by side?
But having said all that :thinking I could settle for a Dyad salt with LC200 PE and H1 SE… ;)
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I’ve been in the lookout for a Dyad. I thought I had landed a Sprint full size a couple weeks back but it didn’t pan out. Quite a disappointment. I would love to see Spyderco reissue the full size Dyad (hopefully as a Salt) or develop a new design. The Buck Ecco pointed out in another thread may be a good reference in terms of keeping the design streamlined. I had a Byrd wings in the past as well, and that was a great 2-bladed design. I usually carry a Ladybug Salt serrated along with my larger PE. It would be great to get the best of both in a single knife. I do worry about price though, given the increased cost of production of a 2 blade design.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Outside of the bolster and bone model shown above, I'd love to see an all new two-bladed Spyderco. I have an idea for one, but it's likely already something Sal tried and rejected.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:29 pm
Dyad salt would be a killer reintroduction.
And this is one that absolutely "MUST HAPPEN" at some point. They've actually had plans for one in the past but met up with some hurdles. It always blew me away as to how many commercial fishermen chimed in saying how much they liked the C-44 Dyad model. For sure a Salt Dyad would be a great addition to the main line up.