Lil Para

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Lil Para

Post by Mushroom »

I've been reluctant to post this because it feels kind of hypocritical. I've been vocal about my desire to see new designs in preference to rehashing old ones. I've also expressed feelings on how certain platforms do not need so many size variations and I still believe Spyderco offers alternative options to most of their lineup, though not always exact matches. Yet I still find myself allured by the idea of a Boston legal (2.5") addition to the Para series.

To start, I would ask if a new addition to the Para series is even possible? (Production capacity aside, is there enough room in the catalog?) Including the Military Model, the Para series is at three separate sizes. A "Lil Para" would fill a niche in the catalog not currently filled by another model but is there room in the Para series for a fourth? If they offer any certain platform in more than one size, do they try to limit them to three sizes each?

The Para series, the Native series, and the Delica series are all currently three sizes each and the Yojimbo series could be on its way to three sizes. Even looking at some budget models and slip joints, those tend to be in sets of three as well. The Squeak/Urban/UKPK, the Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper, Spyderthrowers and the Efficient series are all sets of three sizes. It feels like a good limit to impose.

This isn't to say I actually think there is a hard rule that they cannot exceed three sizes per platform but it does at least appear to be a small trend in their catalog. Or it could just be a coincidence because there is also a handful of models with only two sizes. This is why I initially questioned if there is room in the catalog for a fourth addition to the Para series. (Or is four sizes actually the trend, and these other platforms just haven't caught up yet? :winking-tongue )

The Tenacious series has four sizes and the Calypso series has four sizes, although only one model from the Calypso series (Caly 3.5) is currently in the catalog. There was also the Hossom fixed blade series that was offered in four blade sizes. (Forester, Forager, Woodlander, and Dayhiker) I'm not claiming these are the only series they've done with four sizes, I'm probably forgetting or could just be unaware of another. I guess the Native series could be argued to include the Shaman as a fourth.

---

tl;dr - Would you be interested in a 2.5" Lil Para? Why or Why not?

Military Model = 4"
ParaMilitary 2 ≈ 3.5" (3.42")
Para 3 ≈ 3" (2.95")
Lil Para ≈ 2.5"

Original photo - https://www.bladehq.com/images/Knife%20 ... ara3-B.jpg

Photo is from a "Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Review" posted on BladeHQ.com

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Spyderco-P ... view--3425
-Nick :bug-red
Zive

Re: Lil Para

Post by Zive »

Fellow Bostonian saying yes, I’d be interested. The Lil’ Native scratches this itch pretty well for me, but I would put my money down to get that pointier blade shape in a 2.5” package.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The only constant in the knife world is change. I would buy a Lil Para.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Nice shoop 👍

It's reminiscent of the Cat, but with a more aggressive blade shape and a compression lock instead.

It could also be a perfect opportunity to introduce a wireclip for the three-screw mount.
phaust

Post by phaust »

I'd buy one. I'd hope it'd come in at 60mm to hit another place's limit I go to, but even at 2.5" I'd get one.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would not want anything smaller than the P3, but I suspect a sizable number of people would like a larger Military (The General?) than what’s available now.

Except for some exceptions, my signature sums up my response. ;)

:bug-red
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Mush, as a new zealot/er, convert into the Lil Native tribe myself, I think this is a novel idea. Though I would suggest following the back contour of the PM2 scale rather than the inward curving bottom/rear handle part of the Para3.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm a sucker for small-ish knives, so yes, I would buy one.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
munchs

Post by munchs »

We need that. I would buy several.
Besides, it will give more options to those who live in areas with blade limits.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Have you tried the Comp Lock Lil Native?

It seems like it might fit your desire for a 2.5" comp lock, and the ergonomics are somewhat similar.
Ric

Post by Ric »

The lil native is my lil para.
Hope the will bring a lightweight variant.

It's too much of a tank and the ergos are a bit off to me.

For small knives the Dragonfly is hard to beat.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

In my opinion the Para 3 is already to small for the typical "Para" features. They work for Millie and PM2, but less so for the Para 3. Especially the thick bladestock and the ergos. The "front and rear" guard that make the PM2 handle "hand hugging" for most hand sizes,restrict the grip area on the Para 3 too much , when not using the choil.

Now in a "Lil Para" this issue would probably occur even IF using the choil. The knife could not offer any good four finger grip.
If the handle was shaped like on the Sage or Chaparral though (make the downside of the handle the longest part, and not the upside, and make it flat at the downside, without that "hook" at the end): That could work fine! Just like it does on the Chap.

And: The thick stock would hinder slicing performance more than on the Para 3, cause on a Lil Para less tapering would be going on.

That being said: Cool mock up! A "Lil Para" would certainly LOOK cool and BE cool as a "Baby-baby-version" of the iconic PM2! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Meh, not a big fan of the Para3. Not sure I would like an even more scaled down version.

I’m in the Boston area this weekend visiting family on the north shore. Salem has a 2.5 inch limit too. Im taking my son in to the aquarium tomorrow.

I’m not here enough to buy a dedicated knife though. Stupid laws.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I feel like a hump that size on a handle that short would make it almost impossible to get a good grip on it…. So I can’t say I think this is a “good” idea. That said, “good” is subjective. If you’ve considered the ergos and you’re still confident this knife would make you happy, I hope you get it and it’s everything you’re dreaming of!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This is ridiculous. "Massa say we can't has no scary sharp things."...

Carry what you want, where you want. Don't bend the knee to these idiotic restrictions.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
archangel

Post by archangel »

I love the Millie family, mostly for the straight spine strong and pointy blade and the unsurpassed action of the PM2 & Para 3. I understand the desire to have a legal version for your area. I don't know if a Lil Para would have the same magic, even if it'd work smoothly. There's a minimum size required, and from my point of view the Para 3 is serving this perfectly.

I carry Spydies that I'm not supposed to all the time. No thrill no fun. ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'm not sure if I would be be down with buying one, but I do think it's a really cool idea!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
kobold

Post by kobold »

I also carry whatever I want. Within reason of course and always out of sight.
A Lil Para is not for me mainly because I am happy with my small EDC knives (Chap, DF2) and because it would sport - I assume - a comp lock.
All I really want is a mid-sized Native.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
attila

Post by attila »

I’d be very interested if it had better edge length-to-handle ratio than the Lil’Native
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think for the Para series the P3 is about as small as I'd like to go. If you shorten that tall blade any more it seems like it'll almost be as tall as it is long. As much as I like the Lil' Native I don't carry mine very much (although that could change). So I don't think I want another Lil'. I have no issue with others wanting a Lil Para though
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!