What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ikaretababy

Re: What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Post by ikaretababy »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:11 pm
Proficient in MagnaCut.
Oh I forgot about this. I would gladly take this if magnacut is, as many credible people are suggesting, a stainless cruwear. I know Sal said the cruwear proficient didn't get put into production because it would've necessitated a premium price tag. I think the new-steel hype and demand for knives in magnacut would offset sticker shock and a magnacut proficient would sell out immediately.
Wandering_About

Re: What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Post by Wandering_About »

aaronkb wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:50 am
I’d definitely be interested in a lil manix.
Wandering_About wrote:
Proficient in MagnaCut. PM2 in K390.
Just making sure, you know that pm2 exists right?
Yeah, but only in the BBS run. Did not get one of those. But I'd love to see another run, maybe in a different color (I like blue). I mean, since we're making wishes and all...
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

ikaretababy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:46 pm
Wandering_About wrote:
Proficient in MagnaCut.
Oh I forgot about this. I would gladly take this if magnacut is, as many credible people are suggesting, a stainless cruwear. I know Sal said the cruwear proficient didn't get put into production because it would've necessitated a premium price tag. I think the new-steel hype and demand for knives in magnacut would offset sticker shock and a magnacut proficient would sell out immediately.
I'd also prefer micarta or G10 for handle scales. Might offset some of the price, instead of the original CF handles? In any case I'd prefer micarta or G10, regardless of pricing. CF can be nice but I've never been all that taken with it.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:57 am
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:27 am
An affordable knife built in Golden, for the working person who just needs a quality knife and is not an Afi. Think modern version of the sodbuster, but with a lock. I know boring as heck, but $50US+ is a lot for money to spend on a pocket knife for many people. We tend to forget that, especially these days when so many drop $400+ on pocket jewelry. I have to believe Sal and/or Eric have a design that could work.
Nuttin' wrong with a good solid basic functional design like a sodbuster. Spent the better part of my youth totin' a lockback Henckel sodbuster in high carbon steel with cherry wood scales in a Buck 110 sheath like all the cool kids had hanging from their belts. :smlling-eyes Cost all of $12.95 from Eddie Bauer's back then. Much to like about that knife including the slim, but hand filling round handle and 3 5/8" cutting edge blade to handle. (Yes, handle forward edge to handle lock backs did exist back then.)

Would love to see Spyderco come out with a Sodbuster in 9Cr, but it tends to deviate from Spyderco's design philosophy. If you put a round hole and a hump on it, it just wouldn't be a Sodbuster. Spyderco also tends to make most of their folder slab sided to accommodate a clip. Sodbusters are slim in profile but also round and hand filling. You can probably eliminate the hole & hump with a different design like a front flipper similar to the Ikuchi, but not the Smock as the edge wouldn't come up to the handle. I like the no nonsense design of the Sodbuster. It is distinctly not pointy stabby or murdery looking. It just looks like a functional tool. To me it looks like an old friend.
Everyone should try a Sodbuster or similar knife. The simplicity and pure functionality is eye opening. The Roadie is close, but the blade needs to be thinner and the whole knife a bit larger. I know Sal and Eric can do it, if they wish to do so, however the made in USA part would more difficult.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Wandering_About wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:50 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:50 am
I’d definitely be interested in a lil manix.
Wandering_About wrote:
Proficient in MagnaCut. PM2 in K390.
Just making sure, you know that pm2 exists right?
Yeah, but only in the BBS run. Did not get one of those. But I'd love to see another run, maybe in a different color (I like blue). I mean, since we're making wishes and all...
Fair, I actually agree with this bigtime. I’d love to see a shift in the industry towards sprints and exclusives being more aesthetics-based as collectors items, and steel options being more widely available as users. I think Shabazz has advocated for this in the past. It especially pains me to see people keeping knives in M4, for instance, as safe queens when other people who missed out would kill to be using that.
Last edited by aaronkb on Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
advan

Post by advan »

A few years ago it would of been a peel-ply CF Stretch 1 compression lock in M390 but now it would be a Waterway in CPM-Magnacut.
Last edited by advan on Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Slysz Bowie back as a regular production knife, without the back spacer and with a steel insert. M390.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

As long as we're thinking outside the box... how about a Nirvana in aluminum and S30V?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:34 pm
I would love this mid-sized, 3.5" Native in G-10 and Rex45 or K390.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90338

A SE Military or a SE Native Chief, both in G-10, are also up there.
A mid sized Native sounds interesting but not necessarily a dream knife for me! (Also maybe a good platform for a mule folder).

With around 90 Spydercos on hand I've achieved the dream knife multiple times over. I'll have to think on it as to what the next one could be. My interests at the moment are knives a bit larger than my usual Delica; enjoying Enduras, Kapara, Calypso, and Chiefs. So this would likely be my week spot for a dream knife.

However, I do believe I am detecting a shift among forum members from favorites in all the steels and colors w/wo coated blade to new knife designs. Think I'm starting to feel the same...

Looking forward to the Enuff 2/XL. A return of the Temperance would be good too.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'd just like to see them go back to using solid FRN handle scales again, at least on the Salt models.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

Rockjumper in S45vn or Magnacut.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Q ball with yojimbo blade

Smaller yojimbo with divots like original lil temperance, wire clip, jimping from the smock
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I know this is about new knives, but I have 3 that are close to perfect in each case

Delica in Superblue
Native 5 CPM Cruwear, smooth G10
Military 52100 carbon fiber

Honorable mention, Native Chief S90v carbon fiber.

In each instance I would not change a thing.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Ah so definitely MagnaCut in uh. Uh.

Anything?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'd also love to see the Rockjumper in a Salt version.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
TNARG71

Post by TNARG71 »

Para 3 lightweight dark grey cruwear uncoated pe.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

CPM 15v + Micarta
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:11 am
CPM 15v + Micarta
Wait a minute… you’re MAKING your dream Spyderco!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well "Metaphor..." I'm so glad you have had such good success with this thread. I've been watching it with intense interest and I'm now going to put in my suggestion which I have brought up before on occasion. Needless to say that the potential of Spyderco's past great designs and superb models give you a lot to work with.

I've brought this suggestion up at least 3 other times with mixed responses. My personal all time favorite Spyderco fixed blade to this day is their 2004 era TEMPERANCE 1 model. The original TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade which was offered in VG-10 blade steel in full SE and full PE both.

Take the TEMPERANCE 1 model and re-introduce it into the SALT SERIES in both edge types. Have the full PE model in LC200N and the full SE model in H-1. This would make for an incredible outdoor fixed blade combo. And it could be made more affordable than many of the fixed blade selections currently offered. That was one of Sal's designs that was truly perfect the first time IMO.
benben

Post by benben »

I'd love to see the Delica in M4 or Cru-wear as a regular everyday production offering!