What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

For example, I think the knife that I would just absolutely love to see would be an FRN Chief with a BD1N blade at a budget price. I think BD1N is a super under-rated steel that while it doesn't have the greatest edge retention its balance of properties is really good and I find it to take a razor sharp edge super easily, and it comes in at a pretty budget price on some nice models already. Also Spyderco just does a great job with injection molded handles and similarly they allow good performance at a budget price. Add these to the *stellar* design of the Chief and I think this would just be a great knife to have in the lineup.

What would your dream combo be? Super gucci or budget brawler?
Evil D

Re: What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Post by Evil D »

I just made a thread asking for interest in a FRN Chef, unfortunately it didn't go well. I think most people like that model for the titanium than as an actual food prep utility knife.

For me I think an Autonomy 1 in SE/FFG/LC200N with the same basic blade shape but adding in a little bit of belly like a Delica has (without giving up any edge length) would be my perfect folder. Other fancy steels would also be fun of course. I'm fine with G10 but peel ply CF would be awesome too. I think I'd want it in an all black version and a standard uncoated version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Zive

Re: What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Post by Zive »

Endela Wharncliffe SuperBlue
metaphoricalsimile

Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:59 am
I just made a thread asking for interest in a FRN Chef, unfortunately it didn't go well. I think most people like that model for the titanium than as an actual food prep utility knife.
I was talking about the Chief not the Chef, but I honestly think an FRN Chef with a liner lock and LC200N would be amazing. I do a lot of food prep camping/picnicking or at friend's houses because people don't keep sharp knives and honestly the price point is the only thing keeping me from buying a Chef.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:02 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:59 am
I was talking about the Chief not the Chef, but I honestly think an FRN Chef with a liner lock and LC200N would be amazing. I do a lot of food prep camping/picnicking or at friend's houses because people don't keep sharp knives and honestly the price point is the only thing keeping me from buying a Chef.

Oops I speed read that. I'm a little surprised there isn't already a BD1N version of all the Lightweight models, like the Manix 2 had (I don't remember if that ever got the N version?). It may be coming, or they may be focusing more on making Spy27 their standard steel or something.
~David
metaphoricalsimile

Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:06 am
Oops I speed read that. I'm a little surprised there isn't already a BD1N version of all the Lightweight models, like the Manix 2 had (I don't remember if that ever got the N version?). It may be coming, or they may be focusing more on making Spy27 their standard steel or something.
Yeah, the translucent blue LW Manix 2 is BD1N, and if it weren't for the pinned construction it would be one of my favorites. It's so light it almost makes up for how tall the closed knife is :grin-sweat

I don't see them managing to turn Spy27 into a standard steel because of the cost/performance ratio. It just doesn't seem to do anything that S35VN doesn't do, but Spy27 knives come at a premium price.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Fluted ti shaman in 67 HRC K390?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Is this where I ask for a Maxamet Military again?

I would like to see an R model with dark blue g10 and k390.

I would still buy a Crucarta Proficient.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
metaphoricalsimile

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:23 am

What do you mean by R model?

Edit: nevermind, I googled it. What a wild knife. Are you talking about the full skeletonized version or the version with solid blade and scales?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vaugith wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:21 am
Fluted ti shaman in 67 HRC K390?
Regardless of steel, a fluted titanium Shaman would be incredible, especially with the thickness of the handle. Not cheap though.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:26 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:23 am

What do you mean by R model?

Edit: nevermind, I googled it. What a wild knife. Are you talking about the full skeletonized version or the version with solid blade and scales?
I would like to see a solid handle and blade like the third version.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Plain jane Endura 4, fully serrated, serration pattern like the Endela SE,ffg, VG10...

The Endura SE still comes only in sabre grind.
Yes, there is the Pac Salt 2 ffg SE, but for regular EDC I prefer VG10 over LC200N and also liners (the Endura is still very light with those).
And the "thin red/blue line" Endura comes just in CE, not full SE.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Military. K390. Green Canvas Micarta. Reeve Integral Lock. I think I'm done with knives at that point. /s

In reality, I'd just like to see the Crucarta trend continue. Maybe GCM and K390 could be an upgraded sprint run for any of the knives Micarta scales have been made for?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

PPT Perrin Black but with FatCarbon® Carbon Fiber "Dark Matter Copper" or FatCarbon® Carbon Fiber "Raindrop Copper" scales and TiCN coated Cruwear steel. :exploding-head
-Nick :bug-red
juggler

Post by juggler »

I'd love to see a Kapara with CF scales and a good all-around steel, like S30V. Oh, wait ;)

An Alcyone with Micarta scales and an upgraded steel would be nice too (S35V, LC200N, SPY27... take your pick).
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
vivi

Post by vivi »

- Rust proof Swick. This one is already happening, but I've been mentioning it in threads like this since the 2000's :)

- 4V DLC Manix XL sprint. I have yet to try 4V, and the Manix XL seems like a good platform based on what I know about the steel.

- M4 Street Beat. I'd like to see a sprint of this design in a steel along these lines.

- Police 4 Salt. I've always liked the Police size and ergonomics a bit more than the Pacific Salt.

- C95 Manix with OD green canvas micarta scales and DLC M4. With all these old classics coming back for sprints, I'd like to see this tank of a folder come back.

- Catcherman 2. I'd like to see an updated Catcherman. Salt construction with a modernized clip.

- Calypso Lightweight. Screw construction, wire clip, FRN & VG10, PE and SE.
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:54 am
For example, I think the knife that I would just absolutely love to see would be an FRN Chief with a BD1N blade at a budget price. I think BD1N is a super under-rated steel that while it doesn't have the greatest edge retention its balance of properties is really good and I find it to take a razor sharp edge super easily, and it comes in at a pretty budget price on some nice models already. Also Spyderco just does a great job with injection molded handles and similarly they allow good performance at a budget price. Add these to the *stellar* design of the Chief and I think this would just be a great knife to have in the lineup.

What would your dream combo be? Super gucci or budget brawler?
I agree with you on BD1N. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It is one of my most used steels, since I use zcuts every day at work and at home.
:unicorn
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

Native 5 Slipit, PE FFG S90V, Full lock bar/spacer with stabilised Maple Burl on Black or Red G10 liners. :smiling-heart-eyes
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para 3 lightweight LC200N yellow
Dragonfly lightweight LC200N yellow
Lil Native CL lightweight LC200N yellow

Worker lightweight LC200N yellow
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ok, of course I have to mention once more the "Chapparal XL". At least Endela size, keeping the 2mm bladestock and the thin overal profile.
(Stretch "thin edition" would be not bad too).

And: FRN Tenacious S35VN REAL lightweight (just one minimal liner like the Millie has)
And: Generally more mid- to high end linerlock Spydies.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:41 pm
Ok, of course I have to mention once more the "Chapparal XL". At least Endela size, keeping the 2mm bladestock and the thin overal profile.
(Stretch "thin edition" would be not bad too).

And: FRN Tenacious S35VN REAL lightweight (just one minimal liner like the Millie has)
And: Generally more mid- to high end linerlock Spydies.
Ever consider hunting down one of the rock lobster sprints? I could see you liking that one. Might be the smoothest liner lock I've used.
:unicorn