New to Spyderco Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BigJoe

New to Spyderco Knives

Post by BigJoe »

So I jumped into knife collecting, well as much as I can afford. I have boughten a few Benchmades and purchased my first Spyderco. A Salt 2 SE, I was impressed enough that I turned around and bought my wife a Dragon Fly Salt. Now looking for a decent EDC Spyderco.
sal

Re: New to Spyderco Knives

Post by sal »

Hi Joe,

Welcome to our forum. Folks around here are knowledgeable and friendly. You will have an opportunity to learn much.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome BigJoe

There's a lot of great choices for EDC in the Spyderco lineup. Is there a specific size range you're interested in?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Watch out man, spydies are addictive.

Endura, endela, delica are all different sizes of the same design (sort of), and available in k390.
Police 4 and stretch 2 is also cool.
Good call on the dragonfly, they are awesome.

You can drink the pm2 kool aid, its pretty good.

Anything from Taichung is good if one of those catches your eye.

I would suggest one of the US made spydercos. If you like the size of the salt 2 then consider a native 5.
Maybe a manix.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

welcome to the forum and get that wallet out!
check out the PM2 and Para3 for EDC use, or if you want something a little smaller/slimmer/lighter, the Delica can't be beat
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

BigJoe wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:32 pm
So I jumped into knife collecting, well as much as I can afford. I have boughten a few Benchmades and purchased my first Spyderco. A Salt 2 SE, I was impressed enough that I turned around and bought my wife a Dragon Fly Salt. Now looking for a decent EDC Spyderco.
Lots of great choices available for EDC! My go-to is the para 3 lightweight, and there are multiple limited runs available right now I’m really cool steels if you’re into that sort of thing.

For bigger edc, the paramilitary 2 is a classic for very good reasons…. It’s an awesome knife in so many ways. Or if you want something more slicy and elegant, the Kapara is a great choice.

Really, you’re spoiled for options with Spyderco! Lots to choose from, depending on the features and attributes you’re looking for. And even once you choose a model, you’ll often have multiple steel options for it!

By the way, if you’re new to the brand you might not know that Sal (who welcomed you in the first comment) is the founder of Spyderco and the designer behind many of their best knives. This is a pretty cool place.
kellyv

Post by kellyv »

Welcome! I'm new as well. I recently picked up a PM2 with S45VN. Love it. It does take a little bit of getting used to and dialing in but man, I feel like this blade is going to be with me for a long while. Sturdy. Ergonomic. Sharp. Small enough, yet big enough. Etc...
garret

Post by garret »

welcome! here you will find tons of information, and people could not be better, I advise you to try a manix, it will not come out of your pocket.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kellyv,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hey Joe (and Kelly), welcome to the forum!

Tons of great EDC options available. The Native & Para 3 are my favorite 3" models, the Stretch + PM2 are my favorite 3.5s, and the Military is my favorite at 4".

Let us know what you go with, and what you think!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I love my Shamans as EDC options, but I like bigger, chunkier knives usually. Native Chief is a great big, yet slim, knife if you want a 4" blade. It's slimmer than a PM2 and about the same length! Manix 2 is a good alternative to the Paramilitary series, or you can go Para 3 Lightweight for smaller and slimmer. If you want a flipper the Amalgam is amazing (2nd only to the Shaman IMO) or a Magnitude if you can find it.
Gayle Bradley 2 is a really great slicer, as well as just a beautiful, comfortable knife.

Yea...I'm a spyderco fanboy. Got a big Spyder logo on the end of my lunchbox! Love my Benchmades and Hinderers as well, but if I could only choose one there would be a Shaman in my pocket!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela