Full SE versus combo edge?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bjz

Full SE versus combo edge?!

Post by bjz »

I have a plain edge efficient that is great and a full SE tenacious that is great. As a result, I’ve been wanting to try out a Native 5 lwt. I am leaning heavily toward the full SE but there is that combo edge out there.

For those well versed in both, what are the virtues of the combo, or will I just get annoyed by not having enough of either edge plus the additional complexity of sharpening? Also, if you feel like commenting on preferences between s30v and s35vn for the natives, I’ve found a few s35vn options around and don’t currently have anything In that steel.

For disclosure purposes, I’m not really sure where this will fit into my small collection of users and do not have a specific set of tasks in mind...I just like the size and ergos of the one native I’ve handled in person and would like to add one to the mix at some point.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Airlsee

Re: Full SE versus combo edge?!

Post by Airlsee »

You already have it figured out. Combo edges just aren't as good as either a full SE or PE, especially on a blade as small as the Native. I would say go with the SE if you are open to it, they are great. I haven't carried them nearly as often as many here have (there are some huge SE advocates).

Combo edges were a lot more common 15 years ago it seems and I had a few then and have a couple now, but I would not recommend them on a small blade.

I look forward to the responses you get.
So it goes.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i prefer to carry one of each or full se. i considered getting a combo resilience when they are released because it's a nice long blade, but i'm going to get a pe s35vn and a coated se 8cr13mov instead.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I solved the CE problem years ago with a C44 Dyad. One full SE, one full PE, one knife.

I'm in the CE has not enough of either camp. I have some, have carried and used them, don't anymore.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Full SE would be my choice. It is much nicer to follow a single sharpening protocol on a given blade. SE excels in draw cuts, and length of serrations makes a big difference when slicing. The straight ~1/2” at the tip is plenty for the odd precision job.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

If you want the capabilities of SE, I say you go all SE not CE. I quickly transitioned to PE or SE on all my knives, as I find CE a great compromise without a real upside.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I have multiple fully serrated knives, and you will be amazed at how useful and effective Spyderco's fully serrated knives will be. With that said, I do own a CE Manix, which I find quite useful in certain situations. (I carry mine mostly when I'm at the horse barn.) But I'd only get a CE on a longer blade so you have more of each section. On the Native, I agree it's best to go fully plain edge or fully serrated.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I happen to like combo edges. I find them more useful for my particular day to day than either plain or fully serrated edges. I know there are a number of others on this forum who feel the same way. We just discussed this not long ago. Given a choice, I will buy a CE every time.

Now, the biggest thing to decide is where the serrations should be? Should they be on the rear or forward half of the blade?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've found very few situations where PE seemed better for even necessary, so the bit of PE at the tip of most "full" SE has been more than enough for me in the 4 years I've carried and used almost exclusively SE knives. There are actually only a few true full SE models out there. Some models have around an inch of PE at the tip which is close to how much you'd get on a small CE like the Native.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I'd love to see a limited run of 'reverse combo edge.' SE in the front, PE in the back.

Crude concept drawing:

Up front is where the blade is used for pull cutting (opening boxes, slicing through plastic sheeting, etc.) Pull cutting is where SE really shines.

The base of the blade is where I typically whittle, or where I slice through thick cardboard. There, PE is more useful.

I think 'reverse combo' would be a lot more useful than standard combo edge.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

mark greenman wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:14 am
I'd love to see a limited run of 'reverse combo edge.' SE in the front, PE in the back.
I second this. Victorinox do something similar with their ‘wavy’ edge knives and I find it very useful for the same reasons you stated.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mark greenman wrote:

Crude concept drawing:

Up front is where the blade is used for pull cutting (opening boxes, slicing through plastic sheeting, etc.) Pull cutting is where SE really shines.

The base of the blade is where I typically whittle, or where I slice through thick cardboard. There, PE is more useful.

I've been saying this for years now and I even tried to have one made with...well less than handsome results but the function is definitely there.

The Sliverax may not have been the best model for this. It would look less weird on a Military or something.
~David
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:49 am
mark greenman wrote:

Crude concept drawing:

I like this, I never imagined a Sliverax with serrations would look that good.
The flatter curve of the edge looks as if it would work well with SE. Similar to a Wharncliffe.

I've been saying this for years now and I even tried to have one made with...well less than handsome results but the function is definitely there.

The Sliverax may not have been the best model for this. It would look less weird on a Military or something.
I like this, I never imagined a Sliverax with serrations would look that good.
The flatter curve of the edge looks as if it would work well with SE. Similar to a Wharncliffe.
Last edited by Ngati Pom on Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Evil D wrote:

I hadn't seen that mod, it looks interesting. Would you do it again? Are you planning on making the mod on a Military?
So it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:38 am
Evil D wrote:

I hadn't seen that mod, it looks interesting. Would you do it again? Are you planning on making the mod on a Military?

I would if I could find someone who can cut serrations a bit more factory looking. They're functional but a little messy.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Front serrations on CE would be excellent, as others have stated. However, I have only seen it on Victorinox knives and some sailing related knives. I don't understand the reluctance of manufacturers to do more front serrations.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I wish CE were more like 3/4 SE than 50/50. Just a bit of PE at the tip is enough to negate most of the downsides of SE.

S30V vs S35VN: doesn’t matter. S35VN a little easier to sharpen, that’s it.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:52 am
I wish CE were more like 3/4 SE than 50/50. Just a bit of PE at the tip is enough to negate most of the downsides of SE.

S30V vs S35VN: doesn’t matter. S35VN a little easier to sharpen, that’s it.

I really love all edge types about the same, and think they all have their particular usefulness.

But I would love to see a 3/4 CE some day!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
mark greenman wrote:

I am with you for the most part, actually really like the "reverse comboedge" on my large SAK and think would probably prefer this on Spydercos too.

But for me it is not like NOTHING at all would speak for the way Spyderco does their comboedges:
Given someone just wants about 50 % SE and 50 % PE for whatever reason: Putting the SE part to the base of the blade makes it easy to initiate cuts, since the teeth will penetrate the material, lets say a plastic bottle. The PE part will then have an easier time to cut the already "opened" material.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My combo-edge journey was perhaps somewhat typical:

- At first the coolest type of edge and "the best of both worlds"
- Then: Comboedges are only for people who don´t know much about knives and a sharp PE edge can do all SE can do anyway
- Now: I prefer SE over PE, and like a "combo"-edge like on the Pac Salt: For the most part SE, but a short PE part towards the tip.
- BUT: I don´t think anymore that combo-edges can´t be very useful! In many cutting tasks it does not matter if one starts with SE and finishes with PE; and in many the SE part will be sufficient if SE is what one wants to use, same goes for the PE part.

Actually, the Delica comboedge (sabregrind) was my hard use and climbing knife for a long time. For cutting rope or cordage the short SE section is long enough, for scraping dirt or raisin from the hands or whatever the PE part is too...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)