Is it time to bring back the Rock Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Is it time to bring back the Rock Salt?

Post by JRinFL »

I ran across this thread from 2011 and they were already asking for the return of the RS. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47353

I realize it was a Sprint, but with LC200N and the green scale color, it could make a return without duplicating the original.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Re: Is it time to bring back the Rock Salt?

Post by Mushroom »

Sprint, exclusive, new regular production variant, I don't care how but I would definitely love too see this model run again.
-Nick :bug-red
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I would have to pick one up because it would hold such a unique spot in my collection. Count me in.
So it goes.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Yes! LC200N/Green FRN and a Full Flat Grind like the original Schempp Rock would be great!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Most of the past Salt Series models I would dearly love to see again. I still can't for the life of me understand why they ever discontinued the SPYDERHAWK model from the H-1 Salt Series. Because once they took the SPYDERHAWK out of the main line up and gave it an H-1 blade and put it in the Salt series it was as though it became a new model all together. And it's popularity is still growing in spite of it being discontinued.

Most all of the models in the Salt Series past and present are all great hard work models. Sure bring back the Rock Salt. But don't stop there because the SPYDERHAWK needs to be given another chance as well>> along with a couple of other past Salt Series models as well.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I've long wanted a version of the Rock Salt/Schempp Rock better suited for chopping - thicker stock so it has more mass, in a tough tool steel -- V-Toku2, maybe.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

D4979463-719F-4CF3-9A4E-92E2006B4390.jpeg
I had one and foolishly sold it. I would buy another.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

yowzer wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:47 am
I've long wanted a version of the Rock Salt/Schempp Rock better suited for chopping - thicker stock so it has more mass, in a tough tool steel -- V-Toku2, maybe.
I had similar thoughts awhile back for a 'Rock Chopper' - basically just the same exact Rock/Rock Salt, but in 6mm blade stock instead of the original 3mm.

viewtopic.php?t=86576

When trimming palm fronds around my house, the regular Rock Salt needs a good amount of velocity to chop through one. I was hoping a 6mm profile would have enough momentum to allow chopping through with shorter / slower swings.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I recall a thread where the Salt version actually rippled the blade when chopping coconuts. It does seem like a design that would make more sense in thicker blade stock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I think it's a pretty good design. I actually used mine this weekend for watermelon. It's also my dedicated coconut knife. I made a slight bend in the blade twisting out a cut when I first got it years ago. The thin H1 has limitations but also bending is better than blowing out an edge or breaking. H1 has a fun property where you can bend it back. Honestly though I'd like to see it in FFG 4V.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd consider picking one up if they brought it back.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd be down for a thicker stock Rock Salt or Rock Chopper. Always sad I missed them.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

From what I read, it was always designed as a knife and not a chopper, but I don't see why both versions cannot exist at the same time. BRK makes thick and thin stock models of the same design, so why can't Spyderco make both in the Rock model?
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TCX3

Post by TCX3 »

Please bring it back. I would be in for a couple of each version produced for sure. The thicker model is a great idea.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Does anyone know if the original Rock & Rock Salt scales were removable? It would be good if they are so that you can build custom scales for it.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
malice

Post by malice »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:48 am
Does anyone know if the original Rock & Rock Salt scales were removable? It would be good if they are so that you can build custom scales for it.
They are/were.

Building a set for my Rock is on my to do list.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Scales are definitely removable.

I have zero interest in another Rock unless they make it big enough to actually chop. A 10 inch blade and 16-20 ounces should be nice.

It was plenty durable. I spent most of a summer trying to break it. Lots of batonning and lots of throwing it at trees. In the end I couldn’t figure out what it was good at so I sold it. Kuhkri are meant to chop.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:01 am

I have zero interest in another Rock unless they make it big enough to actually chop. A 10 inch blade and 16-20 ounces should be nice.

It was plenty durable. I spent most of a summer trying to break it. Lots of batonning and lots of throwing it at trees. In the end I couldn’t figure out what it was good at so I sold it. Kuhkri are meant to chop.
I don't think it was meant to be a Khukri, but rather it is seems inspired by Filipino or Indonesian blades.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:17 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:01 am

I don't think it was meant to be a Khukri, but rather it is seems inspired by Filipino or Indonesian blades.
Maybe not.

I do know that it is a scaled down version of Ed’s competition knife which was definitely meant to be able to chop. I would just like to see the full size version get produced.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Yes, bring back the Rock Salt. I regret not getting it when it was available.