spydiechef issue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
philstar

spydiechef issue

Post by philstar »

Hello, anyone else has this issue with the spydiechef? At my spydiechef the blade is hitting the last spacer closest to the tip when closing fast or apply a little pressure at the blade when closed!
And so the cutting edge gets nicked pretty bad, all the time.
Before noticing this i thought its an issue with steel or hardness, but now i noticed the cause finally.
ncspyderfan

Re: spydiechef issue

Post by ncspyderfan »

Mine does that as well. So far it has not been a serious issue in day to day use but it does happen occasionally. I think it might be due to the flex in the lock bar. My lock bar can move up and down slightly when the knife is closed so it can close beyond what is intended and the lock bar flexes before the detent breaks so it feels like detent play.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Mine did that until it got sharpened down a bit. There have been some other threads about this issue.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Even when applying pressure to the spine in the closed position, my Spydiechef's blade still has about a millimeter of clearance from the last spacer. I have the CQI version with black screws.
ncspyderfan

Post by ncspyderfan »

Mine is CQI with black screws as well and has this issue so it must just be happening randomly across the different iterations.
Jbaffoh

Post by Jbaffoh »

philstar wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 2:04 pm
Hello, anyone else has this issue with the spydiechef? At my spydiechef the blade is hitting the last spacer closest to the tip when closing fast or apply a little pressure at the blade when closed!
And so the cutting edge gets nicked pretty bad, all the time.
Before noticing this i thought its an issue with steel or hardness, but now i noticed the cause finally.
I just checked my plain chef and my wife’s KJ blue chef. Both are BU date codes. Neither have this problem.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I had one of the originals and now have one of the latest CQI chefs and neither had/have that issue. Sucks to have that happen on a knife that's $230+
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
KAP

Post by KAP »

My new Spydiechef isn't hitting the last spacer but my problem is that the blade tip is so close to the end of the scale that is has cut me several times when closed. Anyone else with this issue? Any fixes?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear KAP:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

KAP wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:56 am
My new Spydiechef isn't hitting the last spacer but my problem is that the blade tip is so close to the end of the scale that is has cut me several times when closed. Anyone else with this issue? Any fixes?
Yes, I have the same issue. Mine is that the point where the sharpened edge ends is just a tiny bit too high when closed and my finger gets cut. I just need to take the edge down a tiny amount and it won't happen any longer. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Also, Welcome aboard!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Mine, from the original run, also does that. It is not the only Spyderco that has done it. I think someone called it blade lash.
KAP

Post by KAP »

Thanks all. I've decided to have a titanium backspacer made by Knathans Knives to come up tight to the blade so you can't get fingers to make contact with the blade. Until then I'll carry my Shaman.
SSR3

Post by SSR3 »

Yes this is a widespread issue on several Taichung knives. I've even seen it happen with Delicas. I think it's why the Caribbean has been delayed for so long now.