Which runs of the Military have the stiffest detents?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Which runs of the Military have the stiffest detents?

Post by vivi »

Well I just got my CF / 52100 Military in and I decided I didn't like it before even opening the blade all the way.

There is barely any opening resistance at all. It slips past the detent with minimal force, then free swings open and drops shut.

Probably sounds great to most people but it opens way too easily for my taste.

I don't feel comfortable trying to carry it. I'm going to find a new home for it.

So that begs the question. Which Military sprints have the stiffest detents?

My DLC 2nds is much stiffer. Guessing it takes around 3-4x the force to break the detent resistance.

Shame because I was really looking forward to this one.
:unicorn
FourStringFiend

Re: Which runs of the Military have the stiffest detents?

Post by FourStringFiend »

I’ve only handled/owned the Jade M4 Military but I consider the detent stiff.

Easily one of the stiffer detents I’ve experienced, which feels right on this model.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The KW-exclusive framelock (one the first/the first with the lock interface insert) puts enough lockbar pressure on the blade to prevent drop-shut closing or accidental pocket opening, but it's still perfect for flicking open.

Haven't had a linerlock model in a while for comparison, but I don't remember them being loose.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

My s110v black clip, has a very nice stiff detent.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Since you say you really want this one, and if you are not against modifying a brand new knife, why don’t you enlarge the detent hole ever so slightly?

https://youtu.be/uuqJmfQrpu4

Or let Spyderco fix it?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
kobold

Post by kobold »

The blurple S110V and the smurf blue S90V are the same. I can shake them open at first try. The Fluted Ti is stronger, I couldn't shake it open at all.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

You probably won't have much trouble passing it on (I might've even been in the market myself if I didn't already have two), but do you think you might be sad upon parting with it? Both of mine have no weakness detent-wise, and are machine-solid on opening and closing past the detent. Exceptional pieces, the both of them.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
vivi

Post by vivi »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 2:24 am
Since you say you really want this one, and if you are not against modifying a brand new knife, why don’t you enlarge the detent hole ever so slightly?

https://youtu.be/uuqJmfQrpu4

Or let Spyderco fix it?
If Spyderco can fix these things I'd be more than happy to give them a shot. Haven't had the best luck going that route though. Sent in a payment for a pivot screw & clip for my seconds g10 police and never got a reply :/

Don't want to try the mod for the first time on a $200+ discontinued sprint - but I would 100% prefer to have this fixed than get rid of it. It is very well made aside from this issue I have.
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:47 am
You probably won't have much trouble passing it on (I might've even been in the market myself if I didn't already have two), but do you think you might be sad upon parting with it? Both of mine have no weakness detent-wise, and are machine-solid on opening and closing past the detent. Exceptional pieces, the both of them.
I wouldn't be sad. As it stands I don't feel confident clipping this knife to my pocket.

https://streamable.com/3jiokx
Last edited by vivi on Tue May 25, 2021 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:37 pm

[/img]

Well I just got my CF / 52100 Military in and I decided I didn't like it before even opening the blade all the way.

There is barely any opening resistance at all. It slips past the detent with minimal force, then free swings open and drops shut.

Vivi, not what you asked for, but you might like the upcoming Resilience in S35VN - somewhat similar in size to the Millie.

If it is anything like my Tenacious S35VN, the detent will perfect for a linerlock: At the moment i can only use my left (=off) hand, can thumb flick the Tenacious, but there is no way to shake it open, even in a reverse grip, no matter how hard I try - don´t think that I could do it even if I had my stronger right hand available.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have the full SE DLC pre-ordered :)

I think I'm the only one here more excited for that version than the S35VN :p
brj

Post by brj »

The stiffest detent I've seen on a Military is on my S90V sprint from back in 2007/08, it requires a lot of thumb commitment :) and I actually like that a lot. I also have the 52100 Millie, on my example the detent is definitely stronger than what you are describing (you don't need to go to the thumb gym :) to be able to operate it, but definitely not free swinging).
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Modding the detent hole is easier and quicker than even a basic resharpening. Before you even mod it, make sure the detent hole itself is not packed with crud.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
PStone

Post by PStone »

My 52100 is also a tad on the weak side. But the DLC M4 from BHQ was the strongest I ever had. Perhaps the strongest detent of all my liner/frame locks from Spyderco. KW 204p was a close second.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:31 am
Modding the detent hole is easier and quicker than even a basic resharpening. Before you even mod it, make sure the detent hole itself is not packed with crud.
I'll take a look when I get home.

https://streamable.com/3jiokx

That's how it is now. I've owned about 15 Millies over the years and never had one with this weak of a detent.

If I could fix this myself that would be great. I wanted to pocket this one tonight.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:30 pm
The KW-exclusive framelock (one the first/the first with the lock interface insert) puts enough lockbar pressure on the blade to prevent drop-shut closing or accidental pocket opening, but it's still perfect for flicking open.

Haven't had a linerlock model in a while for comparison, but I don't remember them being loose.
Frame lock Military? The internet just blew my mind...

I would bend the lock bar or mod the dent hole for the action I prefer. I have a lionsteel TRE that I have taken apart way to many times to get the action just right. Why? Because I can!
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

kobold wrote: The blurple S110V and the smurf blue S90V are the same. I can shake them open at first try. The Fluted Ti is stronger, I couldn't shake it open at all.
My s110v has a stronger detent than my fluted titanium.

Both are really good though and work perfectly.

I think there is probably just a lot of variation with detents. I personally prefer them to be strong/stiff.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

My CF S90V stands out from the rest as having the stiffest /best detent.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Sorry to hear about the weak detent. My S110V Millie has a great action; detent is plenty stiff but not difficult. The 52100 is one I’ve thought about for some time, hope you can get yours working better.
Last edited by MFlovejp on Tue May 25, 2021 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

My 52100 detent is perfectly fine. I can't shake it open like you're showing at all. I can shake open my M4 one though.
--Jeremy
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My one and only Military, KW Green 204P, has one of the best detents on any of my Spydercos. As close to perfect as I could want.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001