Dear Sal - Questions re: Slysz Bowie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aaronkb

Dear Sal - Questions re: Slysz Bowie

Post by aaronkb »

Hi Sal,

First of all, big thanks to everyone at Spyderco and Knifejoy for bringing this knife back into the market! I chose to pass up on this one, but I’m extremely excited that the model is back. I’ve been wanting one for quite a while. I have some questions about it, if you’ve got the time:

-My understanding is that the reason we haven’t seen this knife in so long is the hurdle of retooling the factory. I’m sure you didn’t want to steal knifejoy’s thunder after they made that investment, but now that their stock has sold out: can we expect the Slysz Bowie to make it back into regular production?

-If there are other exclusives/sprints/a regular production model coming up, are you able to give any clues as to what steels we can expect? I’d be over the moon about k390 or m4, although there are a variety of others I’d be interested in.

-Any chance of cqi? One major concern I saw expressed, and that I personally share, is the lack of a lockbar insert. It’d hurt like crazy to know that such a gem of a knife (and an expensive one too) is degrading over time. If that’s not a possibility, as a Spyderco fanboy and a potential buyer I’d like to know how your support team would approach the issue of a knife (possibly an exclusive or sprint) with a worn out lock bar. I really want a Slysz Bowie and have for ages, but I could use some peace of mind about that!

Thanks in advance if you choose to indulge me! This will all help inform my decision of future runs pop up.

Cheers,
Aaron
amateur blacksmith

Re: Dear Sal - Questions re: Slysz Bowie

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I'd also like to know the answer to this. Obviously there is a lot of desire in the community to see this knife in their pocket.

Will we see a regular production model?
kobold

Post by kobold »

Maybe in a week or two, the next reveal will give some answers.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Knifejoy has said they will do more runs of their exclusive, so I seriously doubt this knife will come back as a production piece. My guess is we'll see a re-stock at KJ fairly soon, though. I also think they'll order other configurations, but that's just my hunch. And I think once the crazy hype dies down, they'll offer international shipping, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:05 pm
Knifejoy has said they will do more runs of their exclusive, so I seriously doubt this knife will come back as a production piece. My guess is we'll see a re-stock at KJ fairly soon, though. I also think they'll order other configurations, but that's just my hunch. And I think once the crazy hype dies down, they'll offer international shipping, too.

I seriously doubt it. They'll offer up the same excuses like fraud, COVID, etc.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:09 pm
It's easy to get an international forwarding service. Or find a friendly knife person on the forum to forward it to you.

It just adds some cost. But when you're looking at $200+ knives to begin with, that's probably not a major obstacle.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Aaron,

It is an "Exclusive" for a dealer/distributor. Their request. When the model first came out, it was not in demand and it was disco'd. We have no immediate plans to make one at this time. I understand the Exclusive was or is being re-ordered and there are some other requests as well.

Right now, we're not had any problems with the lock bar and wear with the original. The R&D time to re-engineer the lock to have a bar could cause a delays in production. Eric is making that decision.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

You're such a joy to be around :rolleyes:

My kids used to make a lot of comments like this too when they didn't get their way. Of course now that they're adults they don't do that anymore
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:41 pm
nerdlock wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

My kids used to make a lot of comments like this too when they didn't get their way. Of course now that they're adults they don't do that anymore
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
nerdlock wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Thank you, glad to make you happy. :rolleyes:

Ain't nothing wrong with speaking the truth though ;)

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Truthfully, where I come from, the small businessman has every right to select his own targeted demographic regardless of ELM.
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Sharp Guy wrote:
nerdlock wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

If nerdlock feels a bit salty that Knifejoy won't support international customers he's perfectly entitled to express that.

I think it pretty rude to imply he is childish.

Fortunately the big retailers support international customers and we are grateful to them for that.

As an international collector I'll continue to support those businesses who thankfully support the international knife community
Knife works, Knife Center, DLT Trading and especially Cuttleryshoppe (who have been outstanding).
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

amateur blacksmith wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:35 pm
If nerdlock feels a bit salty that Knifejoy won't support international customers he's perfectly entitled to express that.
I have no problem with someone expressing their disappointment with something. But doing it over and over gets old real fast. That's my opinion. I won't express it again.

Sorry that some didn't have the opportunity to try to purchase this one. Life's full of disappointment. Often much worse than not being able to buy a knife. Count your blessings. Things could so much worse
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:19 am
I have no problem with someone expressing their disappointment with something. But doing it over and over gets old real fast. That's my opinion. I won't express it again.

Sorry that some didn't have the opportunity to try to purchase this one. Life's full of disappointment. Often much worse than not being able to buy a knife. Count your blessings. Things could so much worse
Him and I got into it a few months ago over the same thing with the Z-Wear Shaman, I've chose to bite my tongue this time around...but yes, it's happening again.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Interesting, I didn't realize the Slysz bowie didn't have a steel lock bar insert. I guess my Chokwe doesn't, but it was 1/4 the price, and I think all my other Ti frame locks do.

Does the Spydiechef have an insert?
Danke

Post by Danke »

Gtscotty wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:01 am
Interesting, I didn't realize the Slysz bowie didn't have a steel lock bar insert. I guess my Chokwe doesn't, but it was 1/4 the price, and I think all my other Ti frame locks do.

Does the Spydiechef have an insert?
No insert on the chef, no problems for me.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
nerdlock wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

I think it pretty rude to imply he is childish.

Fortunately the big retailers support international customers and we are grateful to them for that.

As an international collector I'll continue to support those businesses who thankfully support the international knife community
Knife works, Knife Center, DLT Trading and especially Cuttleryshoppe (who have been outstanding).
What's childish, is automatically discounting their reasons for not doing so, as a non-issue.

Fraud is a very big deal and foreign customs is rife with theft. Why expose yourself to those added headaches, when you CLEARLY don't need to?

It sucks that they won't deal with international customers(I don't either). But, that is their choice and they have every right to do so.

Don't like it? Dont buy it. This incessant bellyache, is tiring and makes me frequent the forums less and less, as it's prevalence grows.

Enough already. You have options to get it to you, if you really want it. If not, well then you must not have wanted it bad enough.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:19 am

I agree, it's just a knife.
/ David
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

[/quote]

This incessant bellyache, is tiring and makes me frequent the forums less and less, as it's prevalence grows.

[/quote]

You're not alone. The absence of self important drama is one of the features that drew me to this forum.
sal

Post by sal »

I think the culture of the forum is very important. We've always managed to keep it friendly, informative and something to enjoy. We seem to have had an significant increase in activity over the past couple of years. It's not possible for Krsti, Mike and I to cover all squabbles and we've always been proud of our forumites for their self monitoring to maintain the Spydereco culture. What we don't want to do is to become like many other forums that are a constant disagreement platform. Courtesy and respect are critical to the success of this forum.

sal