Newbie question: How do I sell my other knives to get more Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
johnserickson

Newbie question: How do I sell my other knives to get more Spydercos?

Post by johnserickson »

Hi everyone. This is my first post here, and I'm a pretty new Spyderco owner. I have to say, they are a step above all my other knives so far. My question is, how do you all go about selling your other knives? Is there a website, online exchange, etc., that you all trust? I want to get rid of a bunch of stuff and get more Spydercos, haha.
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
TazKristi

Re: Newbie question: How do I sell my other knives to get more Spydercos?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, johnserickson:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Get a Gold membership on bladeforums and sell there to other Gold members who have positive feedback. Or sell on eBay. I have had zero issues on either and have sold many many knives on both platforms. If you are into LT Wright knives there is a paid membership on their website to the "Pout House" forum, and there is a fairly active "Barter House" subforum on there depending on the brand/type of knives you have.

A member here by the name of Vivi also recently set up a reddit subforum for members of this forum. He may chime in.

I'd probably start with Bladeforums unless you are already an active eBay seller and familiar with selling there.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

If you have less than 10 knives and they are worth less than $250, I'd sell them in one lot on Ebay. Make someone an offer they cannot refuse. Sell the whole lot for $100.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
johnserickson

Post by johnserickson »

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Great suggestions. I think I will try Ebay. Naperville, you are spot on--these are cheaper knives that I collected over the years before I got a taste for higher quality stuff. A lot of CRKT, Gerber, etc. Nothing bad, just budget stuff I really have no use for.
johnserickson

Post by johnserickson »

Appreciate the welcome, TazKristi!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hey John, welcome to the forum!

I've done a little bit of dealing on r/Knife_Swap/, but I wouldn't put implicit trust in that forum. It is very easy to use if you're already using reddit though.

No matter which forum you choose to sell, always use Payapl Goods & Services, so that both buyer and seller are protected in the case of fraud. Don't Friends and Family, don't use Venmo or the Cash App.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
johnserickson

Post by johnserickson »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:46 am
Hey John, welcome to the forum!

I've done a little bit of dealing on r/Knife_Swap/, but I wouldn't put implicit trust in that forum. It is very easy to use if you're already using reddit though.

No matter which forum you choose to sell, always use Payapl Goods & Services, so that both buyer and seller are protected in the case of fraud. Don't Friends and Family, don't use Venmo or the Cash App.
Thank you for the good advice!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

PayPal goods and services now results in mandatory IRS tax reporting at the very low threshold of $600.

PayPal friends and family is safer from the seller perspective given the multitude of eBay buyers who are scammers... I’ve had nothing but good transactions using Zelle, Venmo, and PP friends and family. I wouldn’t avoid those payment methods as a seller. Also r/knife_swap is moving away from PP goods and services.
johnserickson

Post by johnserickson »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:22 pm
PayPal goods and services now results in mandatory IRS tax reporting at the very low threshold of $600.

PayPal friends and family is safer from the seller perspective given the multitude of eBay buyers who are scammers... I’ve had nothing but good transactions using Zelle, Venmo, and PP friends and family. I wouldn’t avoid those payment methods as a seller. Also r/knife_swap is moving away from PP goods and services.
Good to know. Thanks!
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Although I'm not a fan of Facebook...

The knife groups on there are legit. I have bought, sold and traded dozens of knives. You can join the Spyderco group, but I highly recommend:
"Every Day Blades", and "Knife Trading Sales & Feedback". Just be sure if you're buying from someone... Look up their activity in the groups prior, or ask for some vouches!
johnserickson

Post by johnserickson »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:51 am

The knife groups on there are legit. I have bought, sold and traded dozens of knives. You can join the Spyderco group, but I highly recommend:
"Every Day Blades", and "Knife Trading Sales & Feedback". Just be sure if you're buying from someone... Look up their activity in the groups prior, or ask for some vouches!
I never even thought about this option! Thank you.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

johnserickson wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:41 pm
Spyderman91 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:51 am

I never even thought about this option! Thank you.
They're worth checking out the Spyderco group has some nice individuals on there.

I will say before you deal with anyone though... Make sure that their FB profile is legit, and they have verified activity in the
group. The longer the better, and don't be afraid to ask for vouches. If using Paypal it is recommended to use G & S
(goods and services), over F & F (friends and family) because it will give you some buyer protection if the deal falls through.