Cru-/Mi-carta Military: Am I wrong or would it gain a lot of weight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Cru-/Mi-carta Military: Am I wrong or would it gain a lot of weight?

Post by Wartstein »

People wish for a Crucarta Millie quite often, and I admit that this would be very cool and fit this model perfectly!!

But, as I´ve mentioned/asked in other threads, but got not much reactions so far:

- A Crucarta.Military would have to be pretty different to the current Millies, in being a lot (handle-) heavier, right?!
- Or am I missing something?

In the Crucarta PM2 they had to go from nested to full liners, in order to guarantee the Spyderco standards concerning handle strength / structural integrity with Micarta.
And while the PM2 did not get heavier by that (probably the liners are though wider, perhaps more milled out?), the Military certainly would!

I copied and pasted a pic of the Millie-insides for all who might not be familiar with it (took the pic from this viewtopic.php?t=65839 thread, Capt´n Boatsalod I hope you don´t mind!)
Now imagine instead of that minimal liners it would have full (not even nested) liners - something Spyderco certainly would have to do in a Crucarta Millie, judging from the Crucarta PM2.

Would make it feel pretty different, due to a presumably much heavier handle.
Not necessarily a bad thing, just not the "real Millie-feel" perhaps?!

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Re: Cru-/Mi-carta Military: Am I wrong or would it gain a lot of weight?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Full liners would change it quite a bit. On the other hand I carry a Ti Military and don’t count grams nor do I overthink the balance of a pocket knife.

The Crucarta Shaman has nested liners but I guess it gets a pass because it has thicker scales?

I have aftermarket micarta scales for a Para2 and they are nested and I haven’t had any issues.

In my experience the handle materials in order of toughness starting with the toughest are micarta/g10/cf. CF is in my experience the most likely to chip of the three. Not sure why you can make CF scales with nested liners but not with micarta. I am sure they did their testing and have their reasons but in my head it doesn’t add up.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

As i understand it micarta is strong and impact resistant, but not rigid like G10 and CF. The lack of rigidity gives it a quality of dimmensional instability that needs the support of liners and or a full backspacer to meet Spyderco's standards of mechanical consistency.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Spyderco was reluctant to do micarta again because they had warping issues with it in the past but if I remember correctly those knives were linerless.

They may be choosing to be cautious due to those past experiences.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Agreed.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Titanium RIL with Micarta show side scales in Cruwear would break the internet for sure. People that KNOW the Military is too big for them would still be clamoring for that knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If they did full liners like the PM2 they could also drill and tap them for 4 way clip positions..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:01 pm
Titanium RIL with Micarta show side scales in Cruwear would break the internet for sure. People that KNOW the Military is too big for them would still be clamoring for that knife.

Man, that would be a great Milie indeed!!

But if this should ever become reality: Please regular production!
If a sprint: Zero chance to get one here in Europe I guess... unless they make ten times more than usually...;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
That's a knife I'd like to see.
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

So this is anecdotal, but the Shaman Zwear with mircarta feels lighter than the Rex 45 in my hand. I could get them on scales if we need to get scientific.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thebard42 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:09 pm
So this is anecdotal, but the Shaman Zwear with mircarta feels lighter than the Rex 45 in my hand. I could get them on scales if we need to get scientific.

Yes, but that´s a total different story.
Both the G10 and the Micarta Shaman have the same nested liners as far as I know.
The G10 Millie has only very minimal, partial liners, but the Micarta Millie would most likely get full (not even nested) liners, since the PM2 had to get them too in the Crucarta version...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:06 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Man, that would be a great Milie indeed!!

But if this should ever become reality: Please regular production!
If a sprint: Zero chance to get one here in Europe I guess... unless they make ten times more than usually...;)
I know that totally goes against what you were referring to in your initial post, but Darby mentioning the Ti version made me think of that KnifeWorks exclusive and then I just decided to go for the jugular on what would be a great knife :D
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:19 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:06 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I know that totally goes against what you were referring to in your initial post, but Darby mentioning the Ti version made me think of that KnifeWorks exclusive and then I just decided to go for the jugular on what would be a great knife :D

That´s more than fine! :)

I really hope someone at Spyderco takes notice of your proposal... :rolleyes:
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:48 am

I copied and pasted a pic of the Millie-insides for all who might not be familiar with it (took the pic from this viewtopic.php?t=65839 thread, Capt´n Boatsalod I hope you don´t mind!)
Now imagine instead of that minimal liners it would have full (not even nested) liners - something Spyderco certainly would have to do in a Crucarta Millie, judging from the Crucarta PM2.

Would make it feel pretty different, due to a presumably much heavier handle.
Not necessarily a bad thing, just not the "real Millie-feel" perhaps?!

I absolutely don't mind! I was shocked to see that picture come back up though. Still have my D2 Millie, and it still gets regular carry time. It's definitely not crud filled though!

For the record, I'd definitely be in for a micarta/crucarta Millie regardless of any added weight penalties.
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:15 pm
thebard42 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:09 pm

Yes, but that´s a total different story.
Both the G10 and the Micarta Shaman have the same nested liners as far as I know.
The G10 Millie has only very minimal, partial liners, but the Micarta Millie would most likely get full (not even nested) liners, since the PM2 had to get them too in the Crucarta version...
That makes complete sense after seeing the photos of the Mili guts. I wonder if the trade off to Micarta from G10 would equal the weight of larger skeletal liners? Would they have to go full (asked from a place of complete ignorance)?
kobold

Post by kobold »

We can have full steel liners, with perforations, like the Manix 2 S110V G10 and some other models.
So the balance and the weight wouldn't be so out of whack?
And a nice chamfer on the scales would make all the difference..
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Just happy to have a Cruwear Military from the old days.
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:05 pm
If they did full liners like the PM2 they could also drill and tap them for 4 way clip positions..
Wouldn't they need to ship with two Clips? If they stick with the curved clip that is.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I love the feel of the G-10 on the Military. I would love a cruwear version to be re-released, but I can do without the micarta. I like micarta on fixed blades, feels like a bit to much on folders.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:32 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:05 pm
Wouldn't they need to ship with two Clips? If they stick with the curved clip that is.

If they did 4 way I'm sure they'd switch over to a regular hourglass clip. I think this alone would make it a hot selling knife since so many people want a tip up Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David